Hello, Im new. Does he look Purebred to you? - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
dcm

Name: Debra
Dog's Name: My Malts: Annika, Autumn, Jurney, Secret, Winnie, Ricky, & Rumor. My Boxers: Mika & Greta

[QUOTE=Sylie;2083663]I don't know for certain, but it is my opinion, or belief that some pure bred Malts get too big. Then when bred to another they get even bigger. I may not have my facts straight, but I think that there are a lot of variations occurring in pure bred dogs. Show breeders will only breed dogs that conform to the standard, but even generations of dogs that conform to the standard will throw many pups that do not. If those pups are bred we see greater deviation from the standard.

Yet, they can be healthy, beautiful little love bugs. Paddington is a love bug. He is probably pure Malt...just from home breeders who loved their kids, but didn't feel the need to conform to the standard.

Bottom line....he is your baby...he is adorable...you will love him, have him neutered and give him a good life. [Quote]

Fact of the matter is.....not all show dogs are within standard...as many interpret it. There have been many past champions (and current) who were/are 9 to 10 lbs. at least. Some were/are top winning, making them very popular and sought after and bred to widely. That is why there is such a wide spectrum of sizes in the breed. The standard has been mis-understood for way too long. Technically, overall quality is to be considered over size. There is no size dis-qualification. There are judges who do not like the smaller individuals....some who don't like the larger ones. Their opinion is merely objective.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Welcome... he is super cute!! He looks like a Maltese but he is a little over weight so my guess is he is a Maltese and Bichon mix, just my opinion. So very cute!!
Zoe's Mom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

He's adorable. He looks a lot like my neighbor's Havanese... the body and face. Maybe a mix of Malt and Havanese. He's so cute.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisol
Dog's Name: Kelly, Kimmy & Khloe

Purebred or not he is lovely!

Sent from my iPad using PG Free

Fluffdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:02 AM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Cookie and Steve
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese

[quote=dcm;2083694][QUOTE=Sylie;2083663]I don't know for certain, but it is my opinion, or belief that some pure bred Malts get too big. Then when bred to another they get even bigger. I may not have my facts straight, but I think that there are a lot of variations occurring in pure bred dogs. Show breeders will only breed dogs that conform to the standard, but even generations of dogs that conform to the standard will throw many pups that do not. If those pups are bred we see greater deviation from the standard.

Yet, they can be healthy, beautiful little love bugs. Paddington is a love bug. He is probably pure Malt...just from home breeders who loved their kids, but didn't feel the need to conform to the standard.

Bottom line....he is your baby...he is adorable...you will love him, have him neutered and give him a good life.
Quote:

Fact of the matter is.....not all show dogs are within standard...as many interpret it. There have been many past champions (and current) who were/are 9 to 10 lbs. at least. Some were/are top winning, making them very popular and sought after and bred to widely. That is why there is such a wide spectrum of sizes in the breed. The standard has been mis-understood for way too long. Technically, overall quality is to be considered over size. There is no size dis-qualification. There are judges who do not like the smaller individuals....some who don't like the larger ones. Their opinion is merely objective.
I'd love to know which popular champions were 10 lbs!

There are always puppies though that don't conform with the standard, even if the parents did.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to place a dog because it was too small than too big. dcm, do you show your dogs? I'd love to see pics of them!

bellaratamaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Karen
Dog's Name: Bella and Jasmine (and Heidi at the Bridge)

Welcome to SM! I don't know if he is a purebred but he sure is adorable.

"In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog"
maltese#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

To qualify for showing - and being a Champion.... A Maltese has to fall within breed standard.

Which states that it has to be no more than 6 pounds.

Same with Chihuahuas..... no more than 6 pounds.

No 10 pound Champs.... I believe that moves them out of "Toy breed" class and puts them into a different one.... from what I understand at least.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:

Please tell me the name of just one 10 lb. Maltese champion, ever. Four to 7 lbs. has always been the standard, with 4-6 lbs. preferred. And I think you meant size is subjective to judges. Within the standard, perhaps.

I agree with Tori's guess that Paddington (so cute!) is a Maltese/Cocker Spaniel mix. His coat, ears, tail, and size all say Cocker to me. Havanese are much smaller and have the higher tail set.
zooeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Walter
Dog's Name: Lucky

What a sweetie, you must be so happy. He does look like some havanese to me, but 24 lbs would be a lot for a havanese. Enjoy him.
wkomorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #20 (permalink)

Name: Michele
Dog's Name: Khloe Belle

Very cute! As others have said, if you didn't mention the weight I would have thought he was a pure bread!

Love,
Michele & Khloe
Micheleandkhloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement