Hi! I'm Kelly. I don't have a maltese :-) but........ - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #21 (permalink)

Name: Kelly
Dog's Name: Magnolise Avec Bravissimo

Thanks, once more! :-)

I sure hope I can handle him myself...I'm a little overwhelmed. But last time I put a Ch on my dog (Pap and Corgi) they didn't have this amateur owner/handler class (as far as I remember), so it will let me get my feet wet before I have to look a major straight in the eye...

Both his mother & father have US and European titles, so he's probably got the goods....it's me that is in question. *sigh*

I actually have a Papillon puppy...but I joined this message board to get great grooming, nutritional, general toy-breed tips......and all the great people!!
Avec Bravissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #22 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

all you need to do is become invisible...lol...as if that were an easy task. Good luck, it is certainly going to be a hard, but rewarding experience.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #23 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Cookie and Steve
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese

Hi and welcome!!

Your pap is adorable! His parents looks gorgeous too. I have a lot of friends with papillions and they are great little dogs. very very showy!

Are you planning on coming to eukanuba this year?

bellaratamaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #24 (permalink)

Well...what I'm doing (so far) is joining our local dog training club, starting handling classes in January, and aiming for a puppy match in late January. After that, everything is an open book.

Bravo's breeder is not competing at this time, but is a great cheerleader.

I don't know how else to start..all the Pap people I knew in the 80s have retired or moved away. The dog training club (been around for more than 20 years) seemed like a good place to start.

I'm a bit lost right now...but hopeful that the people at the etc will be helpful....

I actually have a Papillon puppy...but I joined this message board to get great grooming, nutritional, general toy-breed tips......and all the great people!!
Old 11-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #25 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Cookie and Steve
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese

Are you on Facebook? I can 'introduce' you to the pap show breeders i know - FB is a great way to network and learn from the more experienced!!!

I would think the training classes would be helpful - just hopefully it is not one of those ones that 'pretend' dog show but don't give you any concrete or useful handling advice. Free stacking is one of the most important things you can teach your baby because they are not generally hand stacked ( i don't think) what i like doing is watching the Westminster breed videos and see what they do!

bellaratamaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:20 PM   #26 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Katkoota
Dog's Name: Snowy & Crystal
Send a message via Yahoo to Katkoota

Welcome to SM! Oh my!! Your Pap is sooooo cute (I love this breed too), so please feel free to post as many thread as you wish ; and enjoy the forum

Sent from Kat's iPad

Snowy & Crystal R in Youtube. Click here for their videos
Skittles & Thalj the lovebirds
the family's pink boy, Dante.
Katkoota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #27 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Maureen
Dog's Name: Cherry Lola, (Bonnies Angels) Penny Lane, (Spunsilk)

Oooh welcome! what a little cutie. His parents are gorgeous too. they hold themselves beautifully. Love the colours too.

silverhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:07 AM   #28 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lyndsy
Dog's Name: Albert

Hi Kelly I'm quite new to this forum too it's great it gives so much advice here and help and from some of the posts I have read they really are one big helpful family your little bravo is so cute x
Lynzodolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:43 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaratamaltese View Post
Are you on Facebook? I can 'introduce' you to the pap show breeders i know - FB is a great way to network and learn from the more experienced!!!

I would think the training classes would be helpful - just hopefully it is not one of those ones that 'pretend' dog show but don't give you any concrete or useful handling advice. Free stacking is one of the most important things you can teach your baby because they are not generally hand stacked ( i don't think) what i like doing is watching the Westminster breed videos and see what they do!
Yes, I am on FB :-) I will PM you my email address. Thanks SO much!!

Old 11-26-2012, 07:03 AM   #30 (permalink)

Thank you Kat, Silver, and Lyn!

I have started to clicker train him for free-stacking...Bella, you are correct - he needs to be able to free-stack. So far it's going well because if he stops square, it's almost a perfect stack.

I'm also working on holding eye contact and moving out on a lead.

Maybe next weekend I'll have my husband video our progress - I find (with my horses) that it's a great way to see your own progress.

Our dog training club here is legit. Many members there are very active in many different disciplines (agility, fly-ball, herding, etc), and I use to see them at many of the AKC breed events.

When I had my two previous Paps (back in the early 90s), I didn't participate with them for two reasons - I used a handler, and when I attended their obedience and agility classes, they hadn't yet come around to positive training methods and were still doing a lot of jerk-and-pull methods that I didn't love. I attended two events last summer, and see that they have made a 180' change and are now using all positive rewards.

I was with another dog training club last time (for obedience and agility), but they no longer offer conformation classes........but I really loved being a part of their club. I told the owner to contact me ASAP if they put this back in to their roster.

I sure hope my new DTC is serious about what they are doing....and beyond that - I hope they are willing to accept me and help me. I know how awful the breed ring CAN be. When I look at their current list of dogs in training, I see that all the Paps they have are in agility and obedience....it doesn't *look* like they have any doing conformation at this time...could be good as I won't be a "threat" to anyone.

I could pay a handler (and may have to, in order to get points at a major), but I don't want to send him away from home. Bravo's primary role is to be my companion and keep me active...and I just don't want to let him go.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement