New here with maltipoo pup! - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 11:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Nicole
Dog's Name: Ted
Default New here with maltipoo pup!

Hey everyone! My name is Nicole and about a month ago, my husband and I adopted a 4 week old Maltipoo puppy our daughter named Teddy Bear Brown Eyes (Ted). I thought four weeks was young but I was told the little guy was already weaned and eating kibble. Poor thing didn't even have all of his teeth. We took him to the vet and was told that he was fine. We've been trying so hard to get him potty trained, but he sometimes refuses. It has been really frustrating for my husband who has never had an indoor dog or one as small as Ted. I've fallen in love and so have my kids. He's such a sweetheart. I've been trolling the forum for a few days and have really learned a lot. Thanks for all the info
NklPkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 12:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Ashley
Dog's Name: Sophie

Welcome to SM! We have 2 others that recently adopted 5 week old malts, one if them was rescued from a dumpster you should look at those posts, and find other members that breed, I'm sure they will be a wealth of information for a pup that young. I believe the weening process isn't even suppose to start until around 6 weeks and you may want to take Ted off kibble and on puppy formula since I believe he would still be nursing full time. It's just like having a newborn all over, he's gonna require a lot more extra love and attention than a pup brought home at the normal 12 week age. I'm sure someone will have more information for you. But welcome, I hope you stick around, there is so much to learn. Much much more than I imagined. And we love pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

AshleyAndSophiePup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi! I took him to the vet right after we brought him home and he told me that since he's been eating kibble, I shouldnt switch his diet abruptly. Up until his last checkup about a week ago, we were mashing his food with warm water so he can gum it down. I'm still concerned with some behavior issues, but from what I've gathered on here, it's normal for a pup his age. Thank u so much for the welcome
Old 11-29-2012, 12:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Cookie and Steve
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese

Welcome!

I have to say, it really angers me when I hear about people placing puppies at 4 weeks old. In California, it's actually against the law to sell a puppy under 8 weeks. Maltese and other toy breeds are kept until 12 weeks.

So Ted is 8 weeks now? Please do not have many expectations about being fully potty trained or even close by this age. Think of him as equivalent to a 9 month oldish human baby - you can't expect to potty train a baby that young with any type of success. !2 weeks is when I see the puppies really start to 'get it'. That doesn't mean that he won't get it earlier, but just try not to get too frustrated. It's not his fault.

I hope your vet cautioned you about not putting him down outside until he is fully vaccinated at around 16 weeks because of the risk of parvo. I didn't know about parvo when I got my first maltese and i am just lucky I did not learn the hard way!

Did you get him from a breeder?

Make sure you post some pictures of him! I bet he is darling!

bellaratamaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaratamaltese View Post
Welcome!

I have to say, it really angers me when I hear about people placing puppies at 4 weeks old. In California, it's actually against the law to sell a puppy under 8 weeks. Maltese and other toy breeds are kept until 12 weeks.

So Ted is 8 weeks now? Please do not have many expectations about being fully potty trained or even close by this age. Think of him as equivalent to a 9 month oldish human baby - you can't expect to potty train a baby that young with any type of success. !2 weeks is when I see the puppies really start to 'get it'. That doesn't mean that he won't get it earlier, but just try not to get too frustrated. It's not his fault.

I hope your vet cautioned you about not putting him down outside until he is fully vaccinated at around 16 weeks because of the risk of parvo. I didn't know about parvo when I got my first maltese and i am just lucky I did not learn the hard way!

Did you get him from a breeder?

Make sure you post some pictures of him! I bet he is darling!
Ted is about 9 weeks now. I had no idea it was illegal! We didn't go through a breeder. We actually "adopted" Ted, his brother, and sister from irresponsible pet owners. My parents and my cousin have since welcomed the other two pups into their homes. We went in for one dog and came out with three! I just couldn't leave them there. I'm very patient when it comes to te potty training. It is a chore to get my husband to be patient. He has had pitbulls his entire life and never had an indoor dog. So this experience is new for him. I have to pat him on the back for his recent efforts though.

when I was younger, I had a puppy pass from Parvo. I've been too afraid to take my little guy anywhere other than to his vet (secured in his carrier). I can't wait to be able to take him for walks outside because he's a big ball of energy and I think it would really help some of the behaviors I've noticed if he could get out and play. As of now, we are home bodies and the kids take him for walks with his leash around the house.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Cookie and Steve
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese

Quote:
Originally Posted by NklPkl View Post
Ted is about 9 weeks now. I had no idea it was illegal! We didn't go through a breeder. We actually "adopted" Ted, his brother, and sister from irresponsible pet owners. My parents and my cousin have since welcomed the other two pups into their homes. We went in for one dog and came out with three! I just couldn't leave them there. I'm very patient when it comes to te potty training. It is a chore to get my husband to be patient. He has had pitbulls his entire life and never had an indoor dog. So this experience is new for him. I have to pat him on the back for his recent efforts though.

when I was younger, I had a puppy pass from Parvo. I've been too afraid to take my little guy anywhere other than to his vet (secured in his carrier). I can't wait to be able to take him for walks outside because he's a big ball of energy and I think it would really help some of the behaviors I've noticed if he could get out and play. As of now, we are home bodies and the kids take him for walks with his leash around the house.

Oh grrr, those irresponsible pet breeders are even worse

Sounds like this pup was very lucky you came along! Yes, it's illegal for anyone to sell a puppy under the age of 8 weeks in California. Do you mind if I ask how you found these people?

I would think one of the biggest challenges you might have is the puppy piranha teeth. Because he was removed from mom and litter mates so soon, he probably did not learn about bite inhibition so I would definitely do a search on the forum for that.

How old are your kids? Mine were 7 & 8 when I got my first maltese and it was sure a great thing for us! Sounds like your kids are definitely enjoying him! What part of california? I'm in the central valley, by Fresno. There are quite a few california members here and many of us have met up and had puppy parties. It's been a great part of this forum!

bellaratamaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

I overheard this lady at the grocery store talking about her puppies and how she was putting ads on Craigslist for them because she doesn't want to take care of them (not her words but that's what I gathered from the conversation). I had to be mosey and the next day I had 3 pups in the car. My kids are 4 and 2. They absolutely adore Him. My daughter doesnt understand why he can't have a slumber party in her bed lol. I'm definitely going to search the forum a bit more. I have LOTS of questions. Thanks for responding. Oh I live near San diego

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement