New puppy & no experience whatsoever !!!! - Page 13 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #121 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janene
Dog's Name: Babinka (06/09/14 Rainbow Bridge) Peppino and Tiny Tina

my three go on pee pads inside of the house! I am a little bit leary on the balcony, I live in a condo and put up latice on the railings............. scared that they might fall off! congrats! on getting your fur child home!
maltese manica is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #122 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deb
Dog's Name: Jops,Sammie,Frankie,LBB,Henry,Daisy,Lulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Oscar View Post
At this age, he really has the brain of a pea and a bladder the size of one too. He will eventually get it! Consistency!
LOL ~ Yes, "Pea Brains". You are absolutely right, nothing is going to happen overnight. It's work, and consistency.

I do, however, still have a couple Pea Brains ~
Old 12-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #123 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Please don't scold your puppy for accidents. They are just that: Accidents.

He is much younger than a Maltese would be from a breeder... so the expectation that he will use the potty pad is ludicrous.

You have to take him to it every 30 minutes, have him on a leash so you can help him stay there. If he doesn't potty, take him inside, crate him or hold him, and take him back out in 5 minutes.

When he goes, give him lots of praise.

If he has an accident... clean it up. He won't understand a "NO!" ... but it may make him fearful of pottying in front of you and make him find places to hide so he can go.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #124 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace'sMom View Post
Please don't scold your puppy for accidents. They are just that: Accidents.

He is much younger than a Maltese would be from a breeder... so the expectation that he will use the potty pad is ludicrous.

You have to take him to it every 30 minutes, have him on a leash so you can help him stay there. If he doesn't potty, take him inside, crate him or hold him, and take him back out in 5 minutes.

When he goes, give him lots of praise.

If he has an accident... clean it up. He won't understand a "NO!" ... but it may make him fearful of pottying in front of you and make him find places to hide so he can go.
Bailey came home at 12 weeks and was big (3.9 lbs.) and he had to potty every 15 minutes when he was awake and playing.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #125 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

I have to agree. Gustave came home at 12wks too and his potty schedule was out of whack. 15min, 5min, 2hrs, you name it!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #126 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I agree with Tori on the potty training and scolding issue--even more so because the puppy is from a pet store, where they receive no early potty training and are used to being around their pee/poop.

It's too difficult to have your "No!" translate into "no, I don't want you to go here, but I want you to go on this pad over there (or outside)." Your dog might be startled by your, "no!" and shy away and look "guilty", but your dog is most likely only startled by your yelling at him for doing something that felt natural to him. By the second time you catch him and say "no!" he's probably starting to think that you suddenly become angry or unhappy whenever you see him do his business, so he better make sure you're not around when he does his business. Doing it around you is scary. Now you have a dog that poops behind the sofa chair while you're watching tv or that quietly sneaks off regularly to pee in the guest bedroom or go wherever he wants when you're not home. How are you going to correct that?

Need another reason to avoid "no!"? Picture taking your dog for walks or potty outings on leash and he never pees and poops because he's holding it until he can get away from you, which he can't do because you're always 6 feet away. So the moment he gets home and the leash and harness come off, he trots off to relieve himself where he can relax--that is, not in your presence. Good luck taking him places with those potty habits!

Another reason? With "no!" training, your dog may also learn that you're a temperamental, confusing, cranky, no-fun-to-be-around person, making all forms of training more difficult. You want that bond to be as strong as possible with your puppy.

Anyway, jmm's article (posted the page or two before I think) on potty training will probably get you off to a great start!
Aarianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #127 (permalink)

Dog's Name: Oscar

I've always told dogs "No" when they pee or poop in the wrong spot. I have a fully trained six year old Maltese that never has any accidents and my four month old has NOT had an accident in the house for over a week (I've had her almost three weeks). Neither have a problem doing their business in front of me in the correct spot especially the younger one since she knows a treat is coming if she goes on the grass. I will not tolerate poop or pee in my house and they know it. All else is fair game. :-)
Little Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #128 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarianne View Post
I agree with Tori on the potty training and scolding issue--even more so because the puppy is from a pet store, where they receive no early potty training and are used to being around their pee/poop.

It's too difficult to have your "No!" translate into "no, I don't want you to go here, but I want you to go on this pad over there (or outside)." Your dog might be startled by your, "no!" and shy away and look "guilty", but your dog is most likely only startled by your yelling at him for doing something that felt natural to him. By the second time you catch him and say "no!" he's probably starting to think that you suddenly become angry or unhappy whenever you see him do his business, so he better make sure you're not around when he does his business. Doing it around you is scary. Now you have a dog that poops behind the sofa chair while you're watching tv or that quietly sneaks off regularly to pee in the guest bedroom or go wherever he wants when you're not home. How are you going to correct that?

Need another reason to avoid "no!"? Picture taking your dog for walks or potty outings on leash and he never pees and poops because he's holding it until he can get away from you, which he can't do because you're always 6 feet away. So the moment he gets home and the leash and harness come off, he trots off to relieve himself where he can relax--that is, not in your presence. Good luck taking him places with those potty habits!

Another reason? With "no!" training, your dog may also learn that you're a temperamental, confusing, cranky, no-fun-to-be-around person, making all forms of training more difficult. You want that bond to be as strong as possible with your puppy.

Anyway, jmm's article (posted the page or two before I think) on potty training will probably get you off to a great start!
Good advice on the reason to avoid a loud startling NO particularly with a puppy this young. You want to always reward them for doing the right thing and don't scare them for doing what you think is wrong - they don't know what you mean and will only learn to hide it from you.

Positive reinforcement trainers will give you the same advice.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #129 (permalink)

Name: Kelly
Dog's Name: Magnolise Avec Bravissimo

This may have already been said, so forgive me if I'm repeating anyone, but...

You know, with Bravo, when he is out and about in the house, he is attached to me or my husband with a leash to our belt/waist...this way we ALWAYS know what he's doing!!! We can interrupt an accident by saying, "not here - let's go outside!" We say it with a happy, cheerful voice....and we pick him up and carry him outside.

Also, it teaches him to "hang out" with us. It's not always about playing and being super-stimulated. Sometimes we just hang out. When he's off-leash in the house, he's in his kennel, playpen, or actively playing with one of us.

He's had a few accidents when we've not been attentive...always our fault - at this age (14 weeks) it's all about accident prevention. He'll get it....but it's a long road of supervision to get there, LOL!!! Long road!!!

He just started being able to make it from 10pm to 6am without me getting up - that was MAJOR progress.......to me, anyway!

He joined us at 11 weeks (one week earlier than normal)....so that was three weeks of getting up in the middle of the night!!! PHEW!!! Glad that's done!!

I actually have a Papillon puppy...but I joined this message board to get great grooming, nutritional, general toy-breed tips......and all the great people!!
Avec Bravissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #130 (permalink)

Name: Kelly
Dog's Name: Magnolise Avec Bravissimo

I have to point out, though, that Bravo is 14 weeks old....and can "hang out" with us!!

He still needs a LOT of sleep (he goes to his kennel for that)!! For every hour or two he plays, he will easily sleep for two hours. And he is OUT!!!

I say that because while it's good to have your puppy "attached" to you....they need SO much sleep!

I actually have a Papillon puppy...but I joined this message board to get great grooming, nutritional, general toy-breed tips......and all the great people!!
Avec Bravissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement