New puppy & no experience whatsoever !!!! - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Dog's Name: Oscar

The good old pet store debate! While I agree that puppy mills should be banned, those puppies already in pet stores deserve a good home too and should not be punished for where they came from nor should their owners. What alternative would you suggest? Euthanasia? It's come to the point where I feel like I need to lie about where I purchased my Maltese. Please petition or send letters to state representatives about shutting down puppy mills instead of scolding people who chose and fell in love with a pet store puppy. It needs to start at the source of the problem, shutting down puppy mills. Yes, by buying puppies from a pet store you are contributing and supporting the cash flow but it will never end unless puppy mills are shut down. Period. Proud owner of Oscar, purchased from a pet store, probably from a puppy mill, and now in a loving home. Sorry, this is such a hot topic and I don't mean to upset anyone but I always feel the need to stick up for my Little Oscar who has been healthy for six years, except for the flip flop episode ($1,500 later, successfully removed from his tummy!)
Little Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Regarding tear stains, Angel Eyes helped Oscar but they will also eventually outgrow this. I once heard it comes on with teething, but not sure. Oscar had horrible stains until I started using Angel Eyes and then the stains simply went away after he was one or two years old and he never had them again.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Oh, I also agree with seeing another Vet. Any time a store recommends a certain Vet, they are in cahoots together. Many times, they offer discounts if you use their Vet which turn out to be hardly anything and the same price of any other Vet, but many people don't know any better, understandably so since it's a new experience. It's best to get an independent consultation about your new puppy. Good luck, and many happy days for you and your baby!
Old 11-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #14 (permalink)

PS. I consider my dog a rescue as well. "Rescued" from Euthanasia if he got any older than the 4 months when I got him at the pet shop.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Gail
Dog's Name: Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Oscar View Post
The good old pet store debate! While I agree that puppy mills should be banned, those puppies already in pet stores deserve a good home too and should not be punished for where they came from nor should their owners. What alternative would you suggest? Euthanasia? It's come to the point where I feel like I need to lie about where I purchased my Maltese. Please petition or send letters to state representatives about shutting down puppy mills instead of scolding people who chose and fell in love with a pet store puppy. It needs to start at the source of the problem, shutting down puppy mills. Yes, by buying puppies from a pet store you are contributing and supporting the cash flow but it will never end unless puppy mills are shut down. Period. Proud owner of Oscar, purchased from a pet store, probably from a puppy mill, and now in a loving home. Sorry, this is such a hot topic and I don't mean to upset anyone but I always feel the need to stick up for my Little Oscar who has been healthy for six years, except for the flip flop episode ($1,500 later, successfully removed from his tummy!)
I don't think anybody faults people who purchased pets from petstores before they understood where those pets were coming from. Once you are educated about the truth, however, I think that it's wrong to give business to the pet stores. I won't even walk INTO a pet store that sells puppies. (Although I have seriously considered walking into the one I pass frequently just to give them a piece of my mind.) If you don't patronize stores that carry mill puppies, you won't have a chance to fall in love with one. Yes they deserve homes, but that doesn't negate the fact that as long as there is a market for these pups there will continue to be puppy mills. I think we have to fight for legislation AND boycott the puppy stores at the same time. For anybody who wants to "accidentally" fall in love with a pup, I recommend touring the shelters in your area. Plenty of love to be found there.
LoveLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #16 (permalink)

Name: Tulin
Dog's Name: Cutish Papi

Thank you Little Oscar. You made me feel a bit better about my petstore- bought puppy.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
When you buy a puppy from a pet store, another will soon take his place. The only way to shut puppy mills down is to stop purchasing pet store puppies. If there is no market for them, the commercial kennels will go out of business.

You are perpetuating the cycle of misery that puppy mill dogs endure when you buy a puppy from a pet store. Your Oscar may be healthy, but what about his mother and father who were left behind at the mill to crank out puppies until they were no longer able to?

Anyone who puts money in the pocket of a puppy miller is financing this:

Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #18 (permalink)

This is the real issue I have. Pet store sales will never ever cease, ever. We don't live in an ideal world and can't expect the impossible. I truly believe this needs to stop at the source. Authorities need to get involved and shut down puppy mills. OR better yet, BAN sales of animals altogether even "reputable" breeders who sell animals for a profit. Those are the only realistic options. One can argue "reputable breeders" aren't much better when there are puppies to be had at shelters? Mutts to be adopted? To make anyone feel bad about their new puppy because it came from a pet store, to suggest returning the puppy, or to say with such certainty that will have a nightmare of health problems is hurtful. Nobody should be made to feel guilty about bringing any puppy into a loving home. I even bought a second puppy from a pet store, he was a bigger dog, about 4 months old, and I knew what his future held if someone didn't buy this sweet lovable dog soon. I did this after going to shelters and not finding a dog I felt comfortable enough to join my second dog in his home. Let's not make new puppy owners feel bad, use that time to petition or write your local authorities instead.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

PS. I do admire your passion for animals and their well being! That's why we are animal lovers, we're a special breed!
Old 11-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Gail
Dog's Name: Lucy

Quote:
This is the real issue I have. Pet store sales will never ever cease, ever. We don't live in an ideal world and can't expect the impossible. I truly believe this needs to stop at the source. Authorities need to get involved and shut down puppy mills. OR better yet, BAN sales of animals altogether even "reputable" breeders who sell animals for a profit. Those are the only realistic options. One can argue "reputable breeders" aren't much better when there are puppies to be had at shelters? Mutts to be adopted? To make anyone feel bad about their new puppy because it came from a pet store, to suggest returning the puppy, or to say with such certainty that will have a nightmare of health problems is hurtful. Nobody should be made to feel guilty about bringing any puppy into a loving home. I even bought a second puppy from a pet store, he was a bigger dog, about 4 months old, and I knew what his future held if someone didn't buy this sweet lovable dog soon. I did this after going to shelters and not finding a dog I felt comfortable enough to join my second dog in his home. Let's not make new puppy owners feel bad, use that time to petition or write your local authorities instead.
I just have to ask--did you watch the video?
LoveLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement