New puppy & no experience whatsoever !!!! - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Oscar View Post
This is the real issue I have. Pet store sales will never ever cease, ever. We don't live in an ideal world and can't expect the impossible. I truly believe this needs to stop at the source. Authorities need to get involved and shut down puppy mills. OR better yet, BAN sales of animals altogether even "reputable" breeders who sell animals for a profit. Those are the only realistic options. One can argue "reputable breeders" aren't much better when there are puppies to be had at shelters? Mutts to be adopted? To make anyone feel bad about their new puppy because it came from a pet store, to suggest returning the puppy, or to say with such certainty that will have a nightmare of health problems is hurtful. Nobody should be made to feel guilty about bringing any puppy into a loving home. I even bought a second puppy from a pet store, he was a bigger dog, about 4 months old, and I knew what his future held if someone didn't buy this sweet lovable dog soon. I did this after going to shelters and not finding a dog I felt comfortable enough to join my second dog in his home. Let's not make new puppy owners feel bad, use that time to petition or write your local authorities instead.
Actually it will stop them.

One major puppy store in my state that had a store in every mall here went out of business. No one bought their puppies.... They had no business.

They are now being used for local shelters to bring adoptable dos cats puppies and kittens into the malls.

So it is possible and can be done. But people have to stop buying those puppies.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #22 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Laura
Dog's Name: Jasper&Dusty; Alvin,Winston&Angel waiting at the Bridge

Quote:
This is the real issue I have. Pet store sales will never ever cease, ever. We don't live in an ideal world and can't expect the impossible. I truly believe this needs to stop at the source. Authorities need to get involved and shut down puppy mills. OR better yet, BAN sales of animals altogether even "reputable" breeders who sell animals for a profit. Those are the only realistic options. One can argue "reputable breeders" aren't much better when there are puppies to be had at shelters? Mutts to be adopted? To make anyone feel bad about their new puppy because it came from a pet store, to suggest returning the puppy, or to say with such certainty that will have a nightmare of health problems is hurtful. Nobody should be made to feel guilty about bringing any puppy into a loving home. I even bought a second puppy from a pet store, he was a bigger dog, about 4 months old, and I knew what his future held if someone didn't buy this sweet lovable dog soon. I did this after going to shelters and not finding a dog I felt comfortable enough to join my second dog in his home. Let's not make new puppy owners feel bad, use that time to petition or write your local authorities instead.

You are new here, right? Why don't you read some old posts then comment, okay?

There is no such thing as "reputable" breeders as you define them. Period. Reputable breeders do NOT sell for profit. If they are selling for profit, they ARE NOT reputable. End of story.

I don't think anyone here suggested she return her puppy to the store or tried to make her feel bad for already having purchasing the puppy. They did say don't buy if you haven't already. Big difference.

No one here is making new puppy owners feel bad. You might not like the delivery of the message, or the curtness, but we say these things because we care! People are speaking up and trying to educate. A lot of us here have signed petitions, writen legislators and donated money to the cause of ridding the world of mills and bybs. A lot of us on here have made the same mistakes we are now lobbying and educating against.

The fact is, millers and bybs will continue to exist as long as the product, the puppies are purchased in the stores. The breeding dogs will continue to live in squalor, in cages, in fear with no love as long as puppies are purchased in stores. It's simple supply and demand. Quit demanding, they will quit supplying.

And yeah, I know the puppies are the innocent ones in all of this. It hurts my heart too. I don't have an answer to that one. I hope someone smarter than myself will see this and answer that. I just know that buying them perpetuates the problem and it has to stop somewhere.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #23 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

Quote:
This is the real issue I have. Pet store sales will never ever cease, ever. We don't live in an ideal world and can't expect the impossible. I truly believe this needs to stop at the source. Authorities need to get involved and shut down puppy mills. OR better yet, BAN sales of animals altogether even "reputable" breeders who sell animals for a profit. Those are the only realistic options.
I call troll. No one can make that argument and be serious. It defies logic. Supply, demand etc.

Last edited by eiksaa; 11-29-2012 at 04:35 PM.
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #24 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyBoys View Post

There is no such thing as "reputable" breeders as you define them. Period. Reputable breeders do NOT sell for profit. If they are selling for profit, they ARE NOT reputable. End of story.
Agreed. Breeding is a hobby, not a business. Gustave's breeder does a lot of handling and that's where she makes money, not from breeding dogs. Reputable breeders don't breed frequently enough to make profit + more dogs = more overhead.
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #25 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyBoys View Post
You are new here, right? Why don't you read some old posts then comment, okay?

I don't think anyone here suggested she return her puppy to the store or tried to make her feel bad for already having purchasing the puppy. They did say don't buy if you haven't already. Big difference.

No one here is making new puppy owners feel bad. You might not like the delivery of the message, or the curtness, but we say these things because we care! People are speaking up and trying to educate. A lot of us here have signed petitions, writen legislators and donated money to the cause of ridding the world of mills and bybs. A lot of us on here have made the same mistakes we are now lobbying and educating against.

The fact is, millers and bybs will continue to exist as long as the product, the puppies are purchased in the stores. The breeding dogs will continue to live in squalor, in cages, in fear with no love as long as puppies are purchased in stores. It's simple supply and demand. Quit demanding, they will quit supplying.

And yeah, I know the puppies are the innocent ones in all of this. It hurts my heart too. I don't have an answer to that one. I hope someone smarter than myself will see this and answer that. I just know that buying them perpetuates the problem and it has to stop somewhere.
well said Laura!!

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #26 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie

Quote:
The good old pet store debate! While I agree that puppy mills should be banned, those puppies already in pet stores deserve a good home too and should not be punished for where they came from nor should their owners. What alternative would you suggest? Euthanasia? It's come to the point where I feel like I need to lie about where I purchased my Maltese. Please petition or send letters to state representatives about shutting down puppy mills instead of scolding people who chose and fell in love with a pet store puppy. It needs to start at the source of the problem, shutting down puppy mills. Yes, by buying puppies from a pet store you are contributing and supporting the cash flow but it will never end unless puppy mills are shut down. Period. Proud owner of Oscar, purchased from a pet store, probably from a puppy mill, and now in a loving home. Sorry, this is such a hot topic and I don't mean to upset anyone but I always feel the need to stick up for my Little Oscar who has been healthy for six years, except for the flip flop episode ($1,500 later, successfully removed from his tummy!)
Quote:
PS. I consider my dog a rescue as well. "Rescued" from Euthanasia if he got any older than the 4 months when I got him at the pet shop.
Quote:

Yep, it's the good old pet store debate. At one time or another i think everyone of us on here has bought from a pet store of byb, that was before we knew better and became educated. The pet stores that buy these puppies from the puppymillers are hoping that people do exactly as you have done, that is to have these puppies pull at your heart strings and therefore you think that your saving the puppy, but in reality your lining the pockets of these puppymillers and making more room for more puppies to go to the pet store. You say we have to start at the source of the problem by shutting these puppy mills down, well we need to better educate people to let them know that buying from a petstore/puppymill perpetuates the problem.

You like to think that you rescued your dog from the petstore when in reality all you did was line the pockets of the puppymiller. As long as people continue to purchase from petstores there will be puppymills. We all have to do our part to stop ban puppymills. Have you even seen the video that Marj posted? That's more than likely what your dogs moms have gone through and live like.

I'm sorry but a reputable/ethical breeder will not make money off of their dogs. They breed only to get their next show dog, not to just have litters of puppies to sell. If you take into account the vet visits, a possible emergency c-section, maybe a still birth or a singleton, that breeder may be lucky if they break even.

There are many of us who donate, write to legislatures, sign petitions and educate people as much as possible to try and ban puppymills, but we also have to stop buying puppies from petstores. If you don't want to buy from a reputable show breeder than rescue a pup from the shelter. That's another reason that shelters are so full because of puppymills and byb's. The choice is yours.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #27 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
Hello everyone,

My name is Tulin. My husband and I just adopted a male maltese puppy ( 8 weeks old). We are going to bring him ( papi -cutish ) to home this weekend after all his medical check-up done. I have never had a pet before and this will be our first. I have no idea how to train a puppy. Fortunately, I have found this website and hoping that experienced friends might help us.

What kind of crate or pen , do you recommend ? We are living in a condo on 24th floor. In order to potty train, should I take him to the doggy park outside or use a home-potty set on balcony , or both ????

Should we put his food in the crate or near the crate ? How often does he need to eat ? I am completely lost

Is there any book or cd that you think it might help me out ???

I would love to hear your valuable hints and tips for our Papi -Cutish.

Thank you

Ps: I will be adding the pictures this weekend.[/SIZE]
[/QUOTE]

Back to the original topic, sorry I missed a few things. As far as food, a lot of people recommend freefeeding when they are pups. I recommend doing whatever you are most comfortable with. I did not freefeed, but I have always fed the boys in the morning, gave a treat at lunch and fed in the evening again.

Then again, how old will he/she be when they come home? Mine were 11-12 weeks, but if they are younger, you might want to have food down all day?
Old 11-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #28 (permalink)

Dog's Name: Oscar

No, I didn't need to nor do I want to. I know what goes on. This is probably the same type of video vegetarians use to show how cows are slaughtered. Time is better spent, if passionate about an issue, petitioning and contacting local authorities about puppy mills. We're on the same side here, I just don't think pet shops will ever stop selling animals unless you cut their supply off, the shutting down of puppy mills. And I don't think it's fair when someone gets a new puppy and is happy about it, to not support them, regardless of where the puppy came from. Tulip came here for advice and half the thread turned into how she shouldn't have bought a puppy from a pet store instead of congratulations and support.
Little Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
Hello everyone,

My name is Tulin. My husband and I just adopted a male maltese puppy ( 8 weeks old). We are going to bring him ( papi -cutish ) to home this weekend after all his medical check-up done. I have never had a pet before and this will be our first. I have no idea how to train a puppy. Fortunately, I have found this website and hoping that experienced friends might help us.

What kind of crate or pen , do you recommend ? We are living in a condo on 24th floor. In order to potty train, should I take him to the doggy park outside or use a home-potty set on balcony , or both ????

Should we put his food in the crate or near the crate ? How often does he need to eat ? I am completely lost

Is there any book or cd that you think it might help me out ???

I would love to hear your valuable hints and tips for our Papi -Cutish.

Thank you

Ps: I will be adding the pictures this weekend.[/SIZE]
[/QUOTE]

Hi Tulin, i'm sorry i got off topic. I have to agree with the suggestions of pad training since you like on the 24th floor. A really great food to feed is Fromm, i know that there are many members that feed this food and are very happy with it myself included. Since the pup is so young you might want to free feed that way he has access to his food 24/7 and also have nutrical on hand in case of hypoglycemia. When mine were puppies i bought a heart beat bear to help them sleep at night.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #30 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Gail
Dog's Name: Lucy

Quote:
No, I didn't need to nor do I want to. I know what goes on. This is probably the same type of video vegetarians use to show how cows are slaughtered. Time is better spent, if passionate about an issue, petitioning and contacting local authorities about puppy mills. We're on the same side here, I just don't think pet shops will ever stop selling animals unless you cut their supply off, the shutting down of puppy mills. And I don't think it's fair when someone gets a new puppy and is happy about it, to not support them, regardless of where the puppy came from. Tulip came here for advice and half the thread turned into how she shouldn't have bought a puppy from a pet store instead of congratulations and support.
Well, I just think you need to watch it. I don't think you can voice your opinion unless you've watched it. And I think this is a friendly forum and people understand when a puppy has been purchased, through ignorance of the facts, from a byb or a pet store. Many, many of the people here admit that they obtained their puppies this way before the "knew better." I just think that people here want to make sure that everybody is well-informed on the subject so that they will know better next time. The OP actually stated that she felt safer buying from the pet store because she said, in so many words, that she thought the dog would be healthier. How will anybody learn the truth, unless people help to spread it? At some point, well-informed people who still choose to frequent pet stores are doing so because it's easy and convenient, and THAT in my opinion, is not a good reason to do so. I'm sorry, but I will continue to be "judgmental" toward people who KNOWING THE TRUTH, still choose to purchase a puppy from a pet store or backyard breeder. It just isn't fair to the mama and papa dogs.
And I'm stepping off my soapbox now. Your Oscar is a sweetie and I'm sure you love him. But next time, remember Oscar's poor mommy and daddy and make another choice.
LoveLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement