New puppy & no experience whatsoever !!!! - Page 4 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #31 (permalink)

Name: Tulin
Dog's Name: Cutish Papi

My pup will be 9 weeks old at the end of this week.We are told that we should leave him there for one more week to get all necessary trainings and vet check-ups.Thanks for backing up to the original topic and answering my questions.

Honestly, I felt like Little Oscar and I were bullied over where our puppies are bought from . I do not have too much experience about having pets as I said before and I have ended up buying a store puppy aka puppy mill puppy. I cannot talk about all breeders in different states but the breeders we visited in Miami and South Florida were puppy mills as well. I paid for my puppy 1500 dollars with an extended three year health warranty and USDA certificate plus a three generation of pedigree card.

Other so-called reputable breeders were asking min. 5000 dollars for their teacup maltese puppies. I havent seen any puppy weigh more than 2 pounds. Their small crates were filled by lots super tiny crying pups. Unfortunately, some people can do anything for money.

Some people are really worried about the puppy mill pups in the petstores and added some videos about the cruelty. I was wondering that how many of these individiuals have ever bought or used any made in China products for their puppies in their households. Do you think that sweat shops in China are less cruel ?

Please do NOT wish or BE SURE about the puppy will have an unhealthy life or psychotic behaviors only because we got him from the petshop. Nobody should hope or wait for "the we told you so moment".

Moreover, I would be so appreciate that anyone gives some of their reputable maltese breeders' names /addresses in the US who do not ask more than 3-digit $$$ for their healthy puppies. In this case I will get my second puppy from that breeder.

I would be happier if you guys try to give me more constructive tips and positive wishes for my cute puppy.

Thanks !!!
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #32 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

This is what your USDA certificate means:

Just because a breeder has a license from the USDA doesn’t mean much. USDA minimum standards for housing and exercise are bare bones. The agency requirement for cage size — the primary enclosure in which breeding dogs live their lives — is just six inches taller, wider and longer than the dog inside. That is, a miniature Dachshund measuring 20 inches from nose to base of tail and standing nine inches high might be housed in a cage only 26 inches wide by 26 inches deep by 15 inches high. The USDA waives the exercise requirement of 30 minutes per day for at least five days a week if the dog is housed in a cage with twice the floor space called for by the above formula.

In addition, USDA regulations don’t address socialization — the handling and exposure a puppy needs during its first weeks of life to develop properly — or the health, temperament and quality of the parents.

Buying a dog? Beware of breeder - Health | NBC News
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #33 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Orla
Dog's Name: Milo
Send a message via MSN to Orla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
My pup will be 9 weeks old at the end of this week.We are told that we should leave him there for one more week to get all necessary trainings and vet check-ups.Thanks for backing up to the original topic and answering my questions.

Honestly, I felt like Little Oscar and I were bullied over where our puppies are bought from . I do not have too much experience about having pets as I said before and I have ended up buying a store puppy aka puppy mill puppy. I cannot talk about all breeders in different states but the breeders we visited in Miami and South Florida were puppy mills as well. I paid for my puppy 1500 dollars with an extended three year health warranty and USDA certificate plus a three generation of pedigree card.

Other so-called reputable breeders were asking min. 5000 dollars for their teacup maltese puppies. I havent seen any puppy weigh more than 2 pounds. Their small crates were filled by lots super tiny crying pups. Unfortunately, some people can do anything for money.

Some people are really worried about the puppy mill pups in the petstores and added some videos about the cruelty. I was wondering that how many of these individiuals have ever bought or used any made in China products for their puppies in their households. Do you think that sweat shops in China are less cruel ?

Please do NOT wish or BE SURE about the puppy will have an unhealthy life or psychotic behaviors only because we got him from the petshop. Nobody should hope or wait for "the we told you so moment".

Moreover, I would be so appreciate that anyone gives some of their reputable maltese breeders' names /addresses in the US who do not ask more than 3-digit $$$ for their healthy puppies. In this case I will get my second puppy from that breeder.

I would be happier if you guys try to give me more constructive tips and positive wishes for my cute puppy.

Thanks !!!
I don't think you know what a reputable breeder is.

No one would call a breeder who calls their dogs teacups reputable.
They are definitely not reputable breeders.

Milo's Instagram
Orla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:55 PM   #34 (permalink)

Name: Tulin
Dog's Name: Cutish Papi

Seriously , I do not want to talk about which breeder is the best or the worst anymore. I have already bought my puppy and asked some tips about that. If you do not have any other useful tips please do not bother to answer. Thanks in advance !!!!
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #35 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

I understand why you are getting defensive and using this tone but as someone who almost fell in the same trap, I can never understand how you guys are still defending your actions.

I can't speak for everyone who commented but I am still carrying this conversation because I want other people to read it in the future and get informed.

But someone who bought a SECOND puppy from a pet store knowing the truth deserves what they are getting, however unfair it might seem. They are a part of the problem, and knowingly so.

Yes I have bought stuff made in China. I have also used plastic. That does not mean I have to turn a blind eye towards every other injustice in the world. It sounds good as an argument, but makes no practical sense.
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #36 (permalink)

Name: Kelly
Dog's Name: Magnolise Avec Bravissimo

Tulip....

I'm sorry this feels like your being ganged-up on...it's just that SO MANY of us have been there. We have had the petshop or byb puppies. We know the heart-break they can bring.

We also know the real price (not the price that was paid by you) to bring this puppy into the world and into your hands.

At this point, you have your loved puppy....but people here hope to prevent someone else from making a similar mistake.

My first dog was a rescue from a puppy mill in the MidWest...the one featured on 20/20 in 1991. He was over 2 years old when I got him, and he had never been out of a kennel. Ever.

He went to PetLand as an 8 week old puppy, he didn't sell, so he went back to the mill and was bred many, many times. He was lucky - many puppies that don't sell are euthed. He had more than 15 litters registered to him....and he was nothing close to the breed standard.

Beyond all the above, he had a serious heart murmer, luxating patellas, and a mis-shapen skull.

Despite all this, I adored this little dog....and he lived a wonderful life with me, but he never fully recovered and became a "normal" outgoing dog. He loved people (unbelievable!), but was always afraid of wide-open spaces....and was most comfortable in a kennel. Wherever we went, I always took a kennel (it didn't have a door on it most of the time).

As loved as he was....his life was never what it could have been.

NOW!!! On to what can help you with your puppy.

Everything said to you about training is really true...be patient - he will not be trained over night....or even in a month....or three....it is a long (but fun) process.

The good work you do now will pay off in dividends in the years to come!!

Potty training will be especially difficult with a puppy who has been raised in a cage/kennel with nowhere to eliminate except his/her kennel/cage. When this happens, they have no choice to go against their programming and must eliminate in their normally clean living space.

If they are use to going potty where they sleep, you will have your work cut out for you! This is a fact....not a criticism. And it's not the puppy's fault! Be diligent. Be patient.

Every accident he has is the fault of whoever is in charge of monitoring him....and every accident he has un-does a little bit of whatever progress has been made. It happens, but try to PREVENT accidents....and only interrupt them if you catch them in the act.

You cannot/should not PUNISH them for accidents until you are sure they are house-broken and that won't be for a good 6 months - at best. And by "punish," I mean - catching the dog in the act and giving a stern "No, no!! Not here!!" No spanking, no nose rubbing...no matter what anyone tells you.

There is a wealth of information for you here - be open to learning, and don't be defensive...people really do care. They want to teach you.

When the student is ready, the teacher will teach :-)

BTW - I'm from Miami (South - down by the Dearing Estate), and I now live in Tampa. Glad to help if I can.

I actually have a Papillon puppy...but I joined this message board to get great grooming, nutritional, general toy-breed tips......and all the great people!!
Avec Bravissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #37 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Hi, Tulin, and welcome to SM! I can't wait to see pictures of your new baby and know you have got to be so excited to finally get to bring him home soon. My vet recommended free feeding for about the first 6 months and to always make sure to have fresh water available. My Leila is almost 5 months old and I've noticed she has begun eating only two times a day...maybe a kibble or so here and there in between the main meal times. I wonder if those few kibbles throughout the day is because she's teething and it feels good to her gums even though she has lots of toys to chew on. By the way, I've read that Maltese LOVE their toys and I can say that Leila really does love hers. So, I make sure she has a variety. I check them often to make sure they aren't showing any wear on them and if so, I remove them so she won't get choked on a piece that could come loose.

When I first got her, I bought a cute little cheetah print soft crate and a pink cat bed. I put the bed inside the crate even though it already had a pad because the bed has sides to it she could snuggle up to and keep warmer. I learned that first week that if I put her crate in the middle of the bed next to me, if she cried, I could reach a finger or two inside to rub her head and she would go back to sleep. I only had to do that a couple of nights and luckily, she has not cried during the night since. She still sleeps in that crate next to me every night. I'm afraid to let her sleep on the bed not in it because I'm scared she will either try to jump off the bed and get hurt or I might roll over on her while I'm asleep. She really loves sleeping in it and will almost try to leap from me to get in it at bedtime.

When I leave the house and don't take her with me, I keep her separate from our other pets. I have an octagonal play yard for toddlers with a tarp underneath to protect the floor. I keep it in my sewing room upstairs. It's big enough to keep her crate, another bed, food/water, two pee pads, and toys. When downstairs and I can't keep an eye on her, I have an old Pack 'N Play I put her in. One half has a pee pad and the other half has a blanket and toys. It is important to make sure your young puppy is in a safe place at all times! When you have times you can't keep a constant eye on him, he needs to be in a crate or some kind of pen. Also, get down on the floor and try to look at things from his eye level to see if there are things he could get and chew on and puppy proof your house in areas you will have him. Puppies love to chew and they can get hurt or killed if chewing things like electrical cords, small sharp objects like pins, etc. A friend of mine recently found a thin gold chain bracelet in her 11 month old puppy's poop after visiting her mother's house!

I've done a lot of reading on tear stains and have been doing everything I can to try to prevent them. Leila has gotten a little bit but they've recently been cut off. I make sure to feed her a high quality food that's grain free and dye free, feed her from stainless steel dishes, and giving her filtered water. I wash her eyes several times a week with a cotton ball soaked with saline solution for contact lense wearers. She doesn't really like that, but I don't like those eye boogers, lol. I finally got a Madan brush and we both love that! It really does do better than the ones I got from the pet store. Also, I got her the mustache comb for her face and I also run it through the rest of her coat, especially at the top of the legs where mats can happen and go unnoticed for awhile. I ordered the Madan brush and mustache comb from toplinepet.com. When you bathe him, be sure to use a tearless puppy shampoo, especially on the face and use a good conditioner each time. He probably won't like the hairdryer, but he does need to be dried after his bath. Make sure it's on warm, not hot, and on a low setting. Oh, and be sure to brush him BEFORE his baths. If you try to remain calm and talk soothingly to him during these times, he should get used to it before too long.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please ask. I hope you will enjoy it here.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #38 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa Marie
Dog's Name: Louie & Molly

Hello and welcome! Please don't be offended everyone here means well and have our fluffs best in mind! The members here are so knowledgeable and helpful! I would not have made it thru my time I'm going thru now with 2 puppies! A 19 week old and 6 wk old

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lmojeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #39 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

This puppy will be around 6-8 weeks .... I know the store says it is 8 weeks, but puppymill breeders and these stores often lie and say they are older so that they can sell smaller "tea cup" puppies. It's sickening.

Gus was saved by a small shelter -- his age was said to be 10 weeks, he was closer to 6 weeks.

So when giving advice to this owner.... please remember this is a VERY young puppy.

I'd suggest Tulin that you read some of the threads started by Lisa Marie (Lmojeda) about her rescued dumpster puppy Molly. Because THAT will most likely be the age you are dealing with and the needs of your puppy.

This puppy will need supervision and care 24/7 for a few weeks.

For food -- you may need to soften his food with water so that he can eat it. Maltese puppies usually don't have all their teeth in until 16 weeks.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #40 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

I don't think I gave any advise that wasn't fitting for her. But I would like to add that with the bathing, I would probably wait until he's at least a few more weeks older. Make sure he stays warm. In the meantime, wipe him off with a baby wipe where and if he gets dirty and dry it off with a small clean wash cloth. And I agree about moistening the food until his teeth come all the way in. Cuddle him lots and give him lots of love.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement