New puppy & no experience whatsoever !!!! - Page 5 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #41 (permalink)

Name: Kelly
Dog's Name: Magnolise Avec Bravissimo

Oh!! For young puppies.... a heating pad. But NOT INSIDE with the puppy - underneath a small part of the kennel - making sure the pup can't reach it or the cords AND can get away from the warmth (really important).

The lowest setting is best.

I actually have a Papillon puppy...but I joined this message board to get great grooming, nutritional, general toy-breed tips......and all the great people!!
Avec Bravissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #42 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Cookie and Steve
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese

i know how upsetting it can be to read some of these comments but please know it is just because we care about the dogs and it is not personal.

About 6.5 years ago when I decided i wanted a small puppy, I started my search without doing any research. I almost bought one from a local pet store (malti-poo) but there was a 'hold' on it so I did not come home with it and I was sad. So I started looking on line and just stumbled onto the breeder list for the American Maltese Association and found a breeder about an hour away. A few hours later, I was driving home with a new puppy and could not believe how much I had spent.

But you know what I learned after joining this forum?

I got a BARGAIN, lol. Best 2k I have ever spent but at the time, I was like OMG I CANNOT BELIEVE I SPENT SO MUCH ON A DOG!!!

My first maltese is now 7 years old and my now 13 yr old daughter shows her in junior showmanship (since she was bought as a pet she is spayed) and will be taking her to Westminster for the third year in a row.

You had asked for other breeders so here is the same list I stumbled onto when I was looking (and am now on )
American Maltese Association

5k is pretty much abnormally high for a pet maltese. I'd expect to pay $2000 + for a nicely bred maltese puppy. Breeders who advertise 'teacups' are not breeders you want to be dealing with since they are just breeding for profit, not to better the breed.

If you were wanting a maltese on the smaller end of the standard (which is 4-7 lbs, with 4-6 prefered) I do caution that your little 8 week old puppy could very well grow over the standard of 7 lbs, as often happens with puppy mill dogs.

Good luck with your new baby and please please do not let the negative comments run you off. This forum is a great resource and you will learn a lot! I know I sure did.

bellaratamaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #43 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLucy View Post
Well, I just think you need to watch it. I don't think you can voice your opinion unless you've watched it. And I think this is a friendly forum and people understand when a puppy has been purchased, through ignorance of the facts, from a byb or a pet store. Many, many of the people here admit that they obtained their puppies this way before the "knew better." I just think that people here want to make sure that everybody is well-informed on the subject so that they will know better next time. The OP actually stated that she felt safer buying from the pet store because she said, in so many words, that she thought the dog would be healthier. How will anybody learn the truth, unless people help to spread it? At some point, well-informed people who still choose to frequent pet stores are doing so because it's easy and convenient, and THAT in my opinion, is not a good reason to do so. I'm sorry, but I will continue to be "judgmental" toward people who KNOWING THE TRUTH, still choose to purchase a puppy from a pet store or backyard breeder. It just isn't fair to the mama and papa dogs.
And I'm stepping off my soapbox now. Your Oscar is a sweetie and I'm sure you love him. But next time, remember Oscar's poor mommy and daddy and make another choice.

Excellent post!!!!
Old 11-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #44 (permalink)

Name: Tulin
Dog's Name: Cutish Papi
Question

Kelly, Thanks for your post. That was really informative.

I am really overwhelmed about the puppy might have some possible diseases as other members mentioned previously. We have not even brought him home yet. I have never said I was an experienced pet-owner. We did a limited search and honestly thought the pet-store might be the best solution among the other places we had been so far. It is a bummer that I did not find out this forum before. If I did , My first experience would have been smoother.I am already very nervous about our new puppy and wondering whether or not we are able to be good parent to him because our lack of experience. My anxiety level is doubled up by just thinking about the puppy might have any possible disorders and diseases because we got him from the pet-shop. We are going to bring him at the end of the next week . I will take him to another VET and get checked-up for everything as soon as I got him.

I hope he does not have any serious disorders. In the beginning, I was wondering about the doggy stuff and products we might need to have such as crates/ kennels , the toys . But now, I am not even sure my puppy will be fine at all.

*What are the common symptoms of any possible sickness for the puppy ?

*What should I keep checking on his body ?? Breathing, eating, fever, littering, shaking,.........etc.

What is normal and what is anormal for a new arrived puppy ?? Should I get aware of any specific behavior of the puppy?

How long does he need to sleep or play in one day? I was told not to give any food or water after 7 pm.

Where to keep his crate in our bedroom/ living room???

There are so many questions in my mind.

And what is an average check-up cost for the puppy at VET? Is there any individual pet insurance I should consider about getting it ?

Thank you!
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #45 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kaitlin
Dog's Name: Sadie

Hey just to piggy back on the advice everyone has given thus far...

I think pee pads/something similar will be the best idea for your living situation.

Also, when you do decide to bathe your pup, be really careful with getting the inside of his ears wet because that can lead to infections. Learned this the hard way.

I would try to find a vet not connected to the pet store for the reasons everyone has mentioned so far.

Treats have worked magic for training my 5 month old pup. She's very food motivated! :-) she has picked up commands very quickly because of me using treats (or because she's so smart, but I might be biased lol)

Also, I would use treats when introducing your puppy to new things. This will teach him quickly that new things = food = good.

I always do a search on here when I have a question because 9 times out of 10 someone has already had the same question answered.

Good luck and please post pictures when you bring your puppy home!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
kaeco510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:55 PM   #46 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

Yes, I would get pet insurance. I have Healthy Paws but a lot of people here use PetPlan.

Did you try to get your money back yet? I don't remember reading about it. I would, and well I did!! They kept the deposit ($500) but returned the rest to me.

Try it out, you never know. Also, it's not necessary that your puppy will have health problems, but insurance will make you feel more secure.
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #47 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kaitlin
Dog's Name: Sadie

Don't freak yourself out!!! Just keep doing your research. Find a reputable vet in your area and make a list of questions to bring with you to your first visit. My list was a mile long! I would book an appt before you bring your puppy home, that way you can get him checked out ASAP. Your vet will do a thorough examination.

Don't be freaked out, you will be totally fine! Just keep reading stuff on here and online and you will be okay.

This is my first time being 100% in charge of a dog and I think I've done a good job so far. It's a lot of relying on your gut instinct. Just err on the side of caution and don't be afraid to call your vet with any questions

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
kaeco510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:03 AM   #48 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Gail
Dog's Name: Lucy

Listen, I don't know what the people more experienced will say, but please don't freak out. If the puppy is already purchased, and you consider him to be yours, then whatever problems that might arise, you can deal with as they come up. My Lucy was a rescue, picked up as a stray, and probably originally from a puppy mill or backyard breeder. She's had some medical issues, but NOTHING THAT CAN'T BE DEALT WITH. It's like having a child--sometimes they get sick; sometimes they have problems, but you deal with things one at a time. I, myself, choose not to have puppies--I like to get my dogs full grown. But there are a LOT of people on this forum who can help with puppies. Take a deep breath, and if you have questions, ask your vet and these folks on the forum. The have so much experience with little puppies that I am sometimes in awe of all their knowledge.There might even be folks in your area who can recommend some good vets. I live in the Las Vegas area, and it took me a lot of trial and error before I found a vet that I really trust.
LoveLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:16 AM   #49 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
Kelly, Thanks for your post. That was really informative.

I am really overwhelmed about the puppy might have some possible diseases as other members mentioned previously. We have not even brought him home yet. I have never said I was an experienced pet-owner. We did a limited search and honestly thought the pet-store might be the best solution among the other places we had been so far. It is a bummer that I did not find out this forum before. If I did , My first experience would have been smoother.I am already very nervous about our new puppy and wondering whether or not we are able to be good parent to him because our lack of experience. My anxiety level is doubled up by just thinking about the puppy might have any possible disorders and diseases because we got him from the pet-shop. We are going to bring him at the end of the next week . I will take him to another VET and get checked-up for everything as soon as I got him.

I hope he does not have any serious disorders. In the beginning, I was wondering about the doggy stuff and products we might need to have such as crates/ kennels , the toys . But now, I am not even sure my puppy will be fine at all.

*What are the common symptoms of any possible sickness for the puppy ?

*What should I keep checking on his body ?? Breathing, eating, fever, littering, shaking,.........etc.

What is normal and what is anormal for a new arrived puppy ?? Should I get aware of any specific behavior of the puppy?

How long does he need to sleep or play in one day? I was told not to give any food or water after 7 pm.

Where to keep his crate in our bedroom/ living room???

There are so many questions in my mind.

And what is an average check-up cost for the puppy at VET? Is there any individual pet insurance I should consider about getting it ?

Thank you!
Pet stores happily provide the new owner with vet visits and a one year health guarantee because most of health issues in the first year are treatable (kennel cough, coccidia, etc.). Even if they sell the customer a puppy with life threatening illness, they will happily replace the puppy. Since they only pay a couple hundred dollars for the puppies they turn around and charge $1500 for, they are still making a huge profit.

The real concern with pet shop puppies is that they can carry genes for very serious health conditions that may not show up for years. It can be very expensive and heartbreaking to deal with a chronically ill dog. My Lady was a poorly bred rescue and pronounced healthy at her first checkup when I adopted her at age 4.5. Her bloodwork was perfect. But soon after her genetic time bombs started going off. She was diagnosed with epilepsy, then diabetes by the time she was six. She needed insulin shots twice a day, plus had very expensive complications from her diabetes that required frequent hospitalizations. She needed two different types of seizure medications for the rest of her life. She had to be seen by an ophthalmologist at the vet school for all her eye problems. Just maintaining all her health issues with bloodwork, medications and diabetic supplies cost about $3500 a year minimum. This did not include emergencies/hospitalizations which usually ran another $1000 a year.

Puppy mills and other greeders do not care about the genetics of the puppies they produce. They only care about the money. They sell heartbreak.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:25 AM   #50 (permalink)

Name: Tulin
Dog's Name: Cutish Papi
Heart

Thank you all for your answers. I am thinking about having a pet diary and writing down everthing about him and taking pictures of him weekly. So I can figure out easily if anything is extraordinary.

I will definitely talk to the pet store this weekend If the puppy does not get a good health score by the vet. I would feel so bad if I abandon him there. I hope everything goes well.

Thanks to you all again
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement