New puppy & no experience whatsoever !!!! - Page 6 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #51 (permalink)

Name: Tulin
Dog's Name: Cutish Papi

I am sorry to hear about your puppy having a bunch of genetics diseases. The genetics diseases are not curable unfortunately.;( I know it very well because I also studied Genetics. I will insist them to show me also his parents' health records. They claimed that they have been using the selective parents without any existence of genetics disease. If they deny the request I will take another direction immediately.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #52 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avec Bravissimo View Post
Oh!! For young puppies.... a heating pad. But NOT INSIDE with the puppy - underneath a small part of the kennel - making sure the pup can't reach it or the cords AND can get away from the warmth (really important).

The lowest setting is best.
Please don't use a heating pad near the puppy at all. One of the vet's of one of our member's Maltese used a heating pad after the dog had a dental to keep him warm after anesthesia and had severe burns to his body this past year. He needed surgery for the burns. Maybe a hot water bottle wrapped in towels nearby but really if you have heat in your apt, the puppy should be fine and you can use a blanket or little sweater.

I found a vet for my dog much the way I looked for a pediatrician for my son so before you get the puppy please ask others you know or see in your building with small dogs which vet they use.I went with recommendations and visited each checking looking around for it being sanitary and smelling okay, asking how many vets are in the practice and meeting him/her and also asking if there is anyone overnight and on weekends at the practice in case of illness that requires them to stay overnight. I ruled one out for smell, one out because they had no one on duty and picked the other because they suited me best and had vets 7 days a week and vet techs over night. I also made sure that the practice treated toy breeds...very different than larger ones. Also there are many vets who aren't even as knowledgeable as our members about certain issues and illnesses. If you stay here and read a lot of old posts (you can find topics under the search bar) you will learn a lot about the breed and what to do in taking care of a puppy.

BTW, my male Maltese did come from a show breeder and he only cost a few hundred more than your pup so they can be found. Males are also less expensive than females.

As I said before I don't support buying puppies from pet stores but I also don't want you to feel afraid to come here and learn. I almost bought a puppy from a pet store but luckily did my research upon finding this forum and knew I did not want to perpetuate puppy mills by ultimately paying into their hands. Now I would only adopt from a rescue or shelter or buy from a show breeder.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:51 AM   #53 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Quote:
*What are the common symptoms of any possible sickness for the puppy ?

*What should I keep checking on his body ?? Breathing, eating, fever, littering, shaking,.........etc.

What is normal and what is anormal for a new arrived puppy ?? Should I get aware of any specific behavior of the puppy?
Like Ladysmom said -- the thing is that these puppies sometimes look healthy for a short time, and then the problems arise.

However.... With Gus -- He had horrible worms when I brought him home from the shelter and he was also sensitive to many foods. I had to put him on a special puppy food. When he was neutered he had problems coming out of anesthesia. He also had an allergic reaction to the stitches and took 2 months to heal his incisions.

Shortly after that his allergies got much worse. He has Colitis now. He also has joint and bone problems. These didn't show up until this past year. He is only 3 years old and he already has joints like a senior. It's sad. I worry about his legs.

The point is -- the issues arrise as the years go on. And granted even with a quality bred dog you have risks of problems... those risks are lower. The cost you pay for a pet store/puppy mill puppy is similar to that of a quality bred puppy.... except you will spend more on the puppy mill puppy in the long run due to health issues.

Get good pet insurance NOW. Preferably the DAY you get him. Pet Plan goes into effect 24 hours after you sign up. I'd sign up when you get him and then set up his vet appointment 24 hours after his insurance kicks in.

If you can get it in his file that he is healthy NOW the health issues can be more easily covered in teh future.

Quote:
How long does he need to sleep or play in one day? I was told not to give any food or water after 7 pm.

Where to keep his crate in our bedroom/ living room???

There are so many questions in my mind.

And what is an average check-up cost for the puppy at VET? Is there any individual pet insurance I should consider about getting it ?
A puppy, especially one that is 6-8 weeks (post photos if you get him, some of our breeders on here can help with proper age)..... a young puppy will sleep more than anything. They are like newborns. So they will be up playing for a short time, eat, then sleep for a few hours.

Please feed this puppy after 7pm. He is TOO YOUNG to limit his food right now. He should have fresh food and clean water left down for him until he is 12-16 weeks.

With Maltese puppies you need to be aware of the risks of hypoglycemia. Right now, with him being so young (he should still be with his mother), restricting food could be dangerous.

You need to have his xpen or crate next to your bed. And you need to expect him to be up every few hours needing to potty AND needing physical contact. Right now he would still be sleeping with his mother and siblings. If you have a stable night side table I'd suggest putting his crate on there so you have closer access to him.

You will need to spend some time snuggling him at night. He won't be able to go 8-10 hours without having some attention. He is too young.

Get a sling and carry him during the day so he has the physical contact. If you and your husband work I'd suggest getting someone to come in and see him a couple times a day. He won't be a puppy you can leave alone for another 4 weeks or so.

Make sure he is warm enough. Toy breed puppies this young cannot regulate their body temperature. At the same time - limit blankets in his bed because like I said in my first post -- he could suffocate. Save the blankets until he's older.

Please keep posting your questions here.

Yes we are passionate about this.... but we will always help you.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:19 AM   #54 (permalink)

Name: Kelly
Dog's Name: Magnolise Avec Bravissimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
Please don't use a heating pad near the puppy at all. One of the vet's of one of our member's Maltese used a heating pad after the dog had a dental to keep him warm after anesthesia and had severe burns to his body this past year. He needed surgery for the burns. Maybe a hot water bottle wrapped in towels nearby but really if you have heat in your apt, the puppy should be fine and you can use a blanket or little sweater.
Sweaters are a GREAT idea!!!

I used a heating pad with no trouble (years ago with our 9 week old Corgi who's Mom had died) with no trouble...But one puppy doing well with a heating pad is not an empirical study, to be sure...and a sweater is an excellent solution!!!

Like someone else here said, I'm not a big fan of blankets until they get a bit older and more coordinated (enough to get out of a blanket if they get tangled in one - it can happen!).

I actually have a Papillon puppy...but I joined this message board to get great grooming, nutritional, general toy-breed tips......and all the great people!!
Avec Bravissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #55 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

Please take the puppy to a different vet as soon as you possibly can. This should be a vet recommended by a person you trust. Unfortunately, one of my coworkers (against my advice) purchased a pet store puppy. It was coughing when she brought it home and the vet recommended by the pet store said it "just had a cold" and not to worry about it.

Within 24 hours, the puppy got very sick with diarrhea so she took it to a different vet - the puppy had pneumonia from untreated kennel cough. It also had coccidia and giardia. The puppy never recovered and had to be put down - the constant diarrhea made it too weak to fight the pneumonia.

Your puppy may be just fine physically, but please get it checked out and treated by an impartial vet who isn't getting paid by the pet store. I wouldn't worry about the cost of the different vet - the vet associated with the pet store does NOT have your puppy's best interest at heart.

And please learn from this - my best friend adopted a former puppy mill mom from a rescue 8 months ago so we have seen first hand what those mills do to the moms.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #56 (permalink)

Name: Kelly
Dog's Name: Magnolise Avec Bravissimo

[QUOTE=Tulip;2087598]Kelly, Thanks for your post. That was really informative.

You're welcome! There are those here who have MUCH more experience than I do, but I thought sharing my personal experience might help some.

I hope he does not have any serious disorders. In the beginning, I was wondering about the doggy stuff and products we might need to have such as crates/ kennels , the toys . But now, I am not even sure my puppy will be fine at all.

Like LadysMom said, most of the really serious problems don't show up in the first year or two - that's why they give you free vet care in the beginning. The big stuff hits a bit later - and usually your warranty is well past.

I think some of the things you'll have to worry about in the beginning are colds, viruses, worms, diarrhea (lots of causes), etc - like kids, the seem to get everything. Even more so when they are so very young, stressed (away from mom/siblings, in a new environment, and surrounded by other pupies that are....young, stressed, in a new environment - etc. You get the picture.

*What are the common symptoms of any possible sickness for the puppy?
*What should I keep checking on his body ?? Breathing, eating, fever, littering, shaking,.........etc.

Watch for fever (have a knowledgeable person teach you how to take a temperature), lethargy, dull eyes, diarrhea, bloody stool, runny eyes, not eating or (even more importantly) not drinking. As you get to know your puppy, you'll learn what is normal for him...and you watch for anything that seems not normal for him.

What is normal and what is anormal for a new arrived puppy ?? Should I get aware of any specific behavior of the puppy? How long does he need to sleep or play in one day?
A lot of what is "normal" for a puppy is age dependent....and it changes as he grows....but in general, they play hard, then sleep. And they need that sleep!!! Currently, my puppy (14 weeks old today):
  • wakes up in the morning, goes potty immediately (both jobs get done),
  • has his breakfast
  • goes potty again (usually just p.p. for him)
  • plays quietly by himself for about a half hour
  • we go for about a 30 minute brisk walk (he usually does another P.P.)
  • we get home and quietly plays until he falls a sleep. It doesn't take long for him to fall asleep...but once he does he will sleep for about 2 hours.
  • potty when he wakes up
  • play and self-entertain for a couple of hours (going potty at least every hour he is awake.
  • lunch around noon
  • potty after eating
  • nap - couple of hours, again
  • wake up and potty (usually this afternoon one will include both jobs again
  • play time and another walk or chase the ball
  • hang with the family time (kids are home from school and he loves to play with them...so they are "in charge" until he falls asleep (these are older kids - one in college the other is a senior)
  • potty time (after nap!)
  • dinner time
  • more play/walk time
  • hang out with family time
  • potty time (around 10pm for the last time in our house)
  • bed time

PHEW!!! It's all day long...and it's a lot of work...but it doesn't last forever, and in the end you have a wonderful family member!!!

Bravo goes with me on most errands (if appropriate)...he'll do even more once he's completed all his boosters next week (rabies won't be done until 16 weeks old).

It is an important part of his education to get well socialized with as many people and situations as I can expose him to. He starts handling classes (for showing) next week.....but starts puppy classes in January. This is important for socializing with other dogs...I'm certainly capable of training him basic obedience...I want to expose him to other dogs in loud situations so he is calm and comfortable in these situations

I was told not to give any food or water after 7 pm.

I only withhold water starting 1/2 hour or so before bed (about 10pm here), but we are up at 5am. It makes me nervous to withhold fluids for very long...
Also, know that small dogs can have problems maintaining blood sugar levels if they go too long without eating. Lots of small. frequent meals are good for puppies. I always make sure Bravo has some small, healthy snacks between meals....I use them as part of his training regime, so he's almost always got something in his tummy. Just make sure treats don't make up more than 10% of his diet

Oh, and diet.....pick a good one. Worth all the extra money...and there is a WEALTH of information on that here in this forum!!! Don't miss it!!!

Where to keep his crate in our bedroom/ living room???

We keep his crate in our family room - it is the heart of our home and where we spend most of our awake time. He can also see most of the house from there (which he likes). He is to the point that he goes in there on his own now when he is tired. It has become his safe, quiet place.

There are so many questions in my mind.

There are LOTS of knowledgeable people here. Lots. I read this forum for weeks before I finally registered while I was waiting for my puppy to be old enough to come home with me (most come home at 12 weeks)...just to make sure I remembered all the things I needed to know. AND I learned a whole mess of new stuff!!! So much has changed since I had my last puppy 15 years ago! And things come up - all the time. People here are knowledgeable and helpful.

I mean that....I have been a member of other forums & they are not all as helpful/encouraging as this.

And what is an average check-up cost for the puppy at VET? Is there any individual pet insurance I should consider about getting it ?
Bravo's most recent visit to the vet ran me just under $200. It included the 5-in-1 vaccine, worming, bordatella, corona, and one month of heartworm/flea meds.

And I will be honest here...you can expect your puppy to get sick. The puppies from a pet store are exposed to so much, they are stressed out, and they are very young with immature immune systems.

If it's not too late, maybe re-think your decision...this isn't they only puppy you can love - you can love a well-bred one, too. I promise!! And don't be offended....many of us have been where you are, and we have learned the hard way.

Thank you![/QUOTE

Good luck!

I actually have a Papillon puppy...but I joined this message board to get great grooming, nutritional, general toy-breed tips......and all the great people!!
Avec Bravissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #57 (permalink)

Dog's Name: Oscar

Regarding tear stains, also try to use filtered water. I don't know what made the difference, Angel Eyes or using filtered water but like I said they eventually went away thankfully, they are not pretty!

Free Feeding: ONLY free feed if you plan on not walking the dog to go potty. When you plan on walking the dog, you need to set him on a schedule of when he eats so you can typically plan walking him around that. If he free feeds, there's less likely to be a schedule. I free feed Oscar- now he knows he all day to eat and leaves the food sitting there until he gets in the mood. Now I had to switch him over the canned food so he eats when I want him to eat, since the new puppy will gobble it up if he doesn't eat right away. He doesn't seem to mind since he's getting canned food now! :-)

As far as the other discussion, just read right through the preaching and go straight to tips if they bother to get any in! People are brave behind a computer. I can't believe someone had the gall to post a video on your thread. Can you say tacky and rude?

Anyway, once your puppy is fully vaccinated, definitely take him for walks to socialize him and talk to other dog owners for tips. I joined a group out here for small dog owners where our dogs socialized together once a month. Also you may want to hand other people treats to give to your new pup to socialize him, some Maltese can be rather reserved. Post pics soon!
Little Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #58 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Orla
Dog's Name: Milo
Send a message via MSN to Orla

You've made the decision to go ahead and get the puppy, okay.

I know you are very worried now but I just want to say that my parents got a puppy from a back yard breeder who knew NOTHING about dogs, puppies and breeding. She is a pomeranian mix and we brought her home at 7 weeks old. She is 10 now and has never ever been sick a part from one ear infection when she was 2. She is such an amazing dog and I hope your puppy will be as lucky.

Milo's Instagram
Orla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #59 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shirley Ng
Dog's Name: Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Oscar View Post
The good old pet store debate! While I agree that puppy mills should be banned, those puppies already in pet stores deserve a good home too and should not be punished for where they came from nor should their owners. What alternative would you suggest? Euthanasia? It's come to the point where I feel like I need to lie about where I purchased my Maltese. Please petition or send letters to state representatives about shutting down puppy mills instead of scolding people who chose and fell in love with a pet store puppy. It needs to start at the source of the problem, shutting down puppy mills. Yes, by buying puppies from a pet store you are contributing and supporting the cash flow but it will never end unless puppy mills are shut down. Period. Proud owner of Oscar, purchased from a pet store, probably from a puppy mill, and now in a loving home. Sorry, this is such a hot topic and I don't mean to upset anyone but I always feel the need to stick up for my Little Oscar who has been healthy for six years, except for the flip flop episode ($1,500 later, successfully removed from his tummy!)

I didn't purchase my dog from a pet store but I did from Kijiji and I met the owner at their farm, I guess that's the same as BYB but I didn't know anything till I found this site. Is that the same as puppy mill? If people don't purchase the dogs from the pet store what will they do to the dogs if no one wants them? They might end up putting them down or suffer in the cage. I'm glad that Oscar is healthy and hope he continues to be healthy We have a ban to sell dogs and cats in some cities in toronto about a year ago! Here is the article,

Toronto bans the sale of cats and dogs in pet... | CityNews.ca
jenna123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #60 (permalink)

Dog's Name: Oscar

Jenna, Dogs that hit four months at pet stores have a shitty chance of making it. That's great that Toronto has that enforced, the same should happen here.
Little Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement