New puppy & no experience whatsoever !!!! - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Tulin
Dog's Name: Cutish Papi
Default New puppy & no experience whatsoever !!!!

Hello everyone,

My name is Tulin. My husband and I just adopted a male maltese puppy ( 8 weeks old). We are going to bring him ( papi -cutish ) to home this weekend after all his medical check-up done. I have never had a pet before and this will be our first. I have no idea how to train a puppy. Fortunately, I have found this website and hoping that experienced friends might help us.

What kind of crate or pen , do you recommend ? We are living in a condo on 24th floor. In order to potty train, should I take him to the doggy park outside or use a home-potty set on balcony , or both ????

Should we put his food in the crate or near the crate ? How often does he need to eat ? I am completely lost

Is there any book or cd that you think it might help me out ???

I would love to hear your valuable hints and tips for our Papi -Cutish.

Thank you

Ps: I will be adding the pictures this weekend.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

Personally, living in a condo, I would use potty pads or an outdoor potty system that can go on the balcony.

Tinkle Turf Systems - Indoor Outdoor Dog Potty

UGODOG Dog Litter Box Toilet | Indoor Dog Potty | Pee Pee Pad

Something like that. I do crate train and my puppies are incrates when I can't watch them, it's usually the medium sized crates I purchase, I like the type that open from the top and the front, but that's a matter of personal preference.

When you bring your puppy home, you have to keep an eye on them, if you can't, I would put them in the crate. When you catch them going potty (and they will go a ton at first) you take them to the potty pad. Sounds simple huh?

My first dog took over a year to potty train, my second was only five months.

There are other ladies on this forum who have great experiences with playpens as well, I'm sure someone will give you tips on setting one up if you want to go that route.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Living on the 24th floor -- definitely use a potty system LOL You have to take them out every 30 minutes sometimes! So not sure you want to do that all day!

I'd get an xpen large enough to fit a small crate (if you want to crate train) - the crate should fit only his bed. A crate that divides to be smaller until he grows is a good idea, but a small crate would be okay too.

The xpen should be able to fit: A crate or bed, a pee pad, a little space for food and water.

I have a pop-up xpen, but I actually really like the Iris xpens people have here -- I'd get one of those if I ever need to replace the pop-up one.

Congrats on adopting!

Since you are adopting a very young Maltese -- the recommended age to take a Maltese puppy home is 12 weeks. Since you said "adopting" I'm guessing this isn't an option.

So please know that the first 4 weeks he is going to need a lot more care and attention than what is suggested for when most bring their Maltese puppies home.

An 8 week Maltese is vastly different than a 12 weeker. An 8 week Maltese is very much like a newborn.

At 8 weeks they still cannot regulate their own body temp. You need to watch for hypoglycemia. Make sure there are not any blankets in his space as there is suffocation risk in puppies that young.

I'd get two books for now:

Small Dogs, Big Hearts: A Guide to Caring for Your Little Dog, Revised Edition: Darlene Arden: 9780471779636: Amazon.com: Books Small Dogs, Big Hearts: A Guide to Caring for Your Little Dog, Revised Edition: Darlene Arden: 9780471779636: Amazon.com: Books

Amazon.com: Little Dogs: Training Your Pint-Sized Companion (9780793805372): Deborah Wood: Books Amazon.com: Little Dogs: Training Your Pint-Sized Companion (9780793805372): Deborah Wood: Books

Hope that helps!

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme

Last edited by Grace'sMom; 11-29-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Dear Shelly and Tori,

Thanks a lot for your posts. They are very helpful. I have started to reading the forums. I will buy those books and search for the xpens and the crates.
I cannot wait to get my puppy to home. We are so excited. We bought the puppy in a petshop. The store said that their puppies are coming from U.S.D.A approved breeders with a three year health warranty. They have also a veterinarian in the store. Since We are quite rookie about the puppy so we decided to get the puppy from them Previously, we checked another maltese breeder whom had teacup maltese pups under 2 pounds. We did not want to get an unhealthy puppy with a miniature size.

Our 8-week was very playful and never barked or cried in the store while we were playing with him.

Another question is that our puppy had some tear stains on his face and around the mouth , is this a serious problem to get rid off ???

The more I read the forum I realize more how clueless I am. Thanks for the help. I will be keep posting new questions.

Have a lovely day

Tulin
Old 11-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

I would suggest that you take the puppy to an independent vet as soon as you get him. Pet stores get their puppies from puppy mills, most of which yes, do have USDA status but that really means nothing and certainly doesn't attest to the environment the puppy came from. I would not trust the vet at the store at all. They are there to see puppies. Reputable breeders do not let their puppies go until they are at least 12 weeks old so that they can learn everything from their moms and siblings. I hope the puppy will be alright and wish you had found us sooner to find out where to get a puppy from but we hope you can learn more here about taking care of him.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Welcome to SM, you will find this forum very helpful with your new puppy. A puppy can have tear stains while teething, which can go on for several months. Wash the puppies face daily with warm water and a soft cloth. There are a couple products we use also for the face, Spa Lavish and Bio Groom. You will have to comb and brush the hair daily also, to avoid mats. Make sure that you comb clear through the hair, not just on surface, pay special attention to legs and belly. A puppy usually doesn't like to be groomed and will wiggle and fight you. Go slowly and talk softly, and they'll get used to it. Your little one will eat at least three tines a day. Keep the same food he was on , and then gradually add what brand that you chose slowly until you are feeding it your own quality dog food. Several members here use Fromm brand, a U.S. Product. You chose a high maintenance dog for your first pup, but they are wonderful little dog's that are a joy to own!! Good luck!!

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
Dear Shelly and Tori,

Thanks a lot for your posts. They are very helpful. I have started to reading the forums. I will buy those books and search for the xpens and the crates.
I cannot wait to get my puppy to home. We are so excited. We bought the puppy in a petshop. The store said that their puppies are coming from U.S.D.A approved breeders with a three year health warranty. They have also a veterinarian in the store. Since We are quite rookie about the puppy so we decided to get the puppy from them Previously, we checked another maltese breeder whom had teacup maltese pups under 2 pounds. We did not want to get an unhealthy puppy with a miniature size.

Our 8-week was very playful and never barked or cried in the store while we were playing with him.

Another question is that our puppy had some tear stains on his face and around the mouth , is this a serious problem to get rid off ???

The more I read the forum I realize more how clueless I am. Thanks for the help. I will be keep posting new questions.

Have a lovely day

Tulin
You are not adopting. You are buying.

If you have not purchased this puppy yet, I'd really recommend NOT getting it.

I know that can be hard...and there are some here who fell in love with a petstore puppy and did end up purchasing it... I hope they post for you here... because these puppies are not healthy.

Puppies from pet stores are PUPPY MILL Puppies.

These puppies live in a cage their entire lives. Their mother lives in a cage. She never gets to touch the grass. She never gets loved or petted. SHe lives in a cage and is bred. That is it.

The puppies live in a cage. They are raised in filth and with their poor unstable mothers

These puppies often grow up to have serious behavioral issues. No matter HOW MUCH socialization and training you do -- Puppy mill puppies often have behavioral issues: Aggression, anxiety, pica, obsessive behaviors...

The also have health problems.

Puppy mill puppies are not healthily bred. They have a higher risk for the predisposed conditions that Maltese are prone to: Liver disease, Liver shunts are the main problem.

But puppy mill puppies, since their mothers are kept in such poor conditions -- the often have weaker bones, weaker organs, are prone to more allergies.

I ADOPTED Gus from a shelter. He was a puppy mill puppy. He has bone issues - his legs are weak. He has a ton of allergies - food and environmental.

You need a GOOD veterinarian. A really good veterinarian. Because if you do get this puppy he is going to need exceptional care.

And from everything I know about Puppy Mills and those pet stores -- this puppy is most likely YOUNGER than what they say. Which is even more damaging for his developing brain.

You can read many threads on this site about puppy mill puppies.

For a NEW novice Maltese owner -- for the price you will pay for that puppy mill puppy -- you could get a HEALTHY WELL BRED puppy from a Reputable Breeder who will help you and offer you support any time you need it!

A GOOD Breeder would NEVER sell their puppies to a pet store!

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme

Last edited by Grace'sMom; 11-29-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janene
Dog's Name: Babinka (06/09/14 Rainbow Bridge) Peppino and Tiny Tina

well said Tori!!!!! its the honest to god truth 100%
maltese manica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Orla
Dog's Name: Milo
Send a message via MSN to Orla

I agree with Tori/Grace'sMom.

If I had been in your situation I would have wanted someone to tell me the truth.
Now you can make the decision - go ahead and get the puppy and support a horrible, cruel business or decided to get a puppy from a reputable show breeder or a rescue.

Milo's Instagram
Orla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you all for your posts. I am very appreciated for all your help. I will take him a good veterinary as soon as possible I get him. They said that they will provide us the first year of vet visits @ Quality care animal Hospital with other individual veterinaries and a -three year health warranty. I thought that they are very sure and secure about their puppy. I hope that our puppy does not have any physical and emotional problems as you mentioned.

Unfortunately we have already paid for him. It was our mistake we didn't do enough research before having it. We were not even planning to have the puppy before getting into the store but after playing with him for a while , We could not leave him behind of us. He was so cute.

I will take care of him very well. I hope he will be fine

I will be keep posting!!! Thanks again !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement