Soon-to-be mommy - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Tennille
Dog's Name: Eli
Default Soon-to-be mommy

Hi everyone

I'm new here. I'm so glad I found this site. All the info on here is great!

I'm so excited to have my first maltese soon. I am going to get my little Eli on the 15th (once he's 12 wks). The days can't pass by fast enough.

I've been keeping in touch with his breeder and getting pictures. He's SOOO adorable... and also patient! I've heard his sister is a bit bossy hahaha

We have bought everything we can think of.
I'm trying to make sure we have the same things as his breeder for a smooth transition when he comes home. I'm sure he will be a little scared his first time in a strange place.

We will have a 7 hour drive(one-way) to pick him up. Any advice to making this trip a pleasant one for him? I would feel so bad if he got sick.
Little Eli's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Michelle Robison
Dog's Name: Amber, Emily,Lil Bit, Rylee, Sasha and a cat named Harry

Congrats... He should be fine,I held and cuddled my baby all the way home but you really should consider a safer alternative...If you have a small carrier , strap it down with a seatbelt if you can and add padding...
It's a long drive and anything can happen. Try to get him a small collar with some sort of ID too, just in case...
If you have an old shirt in the laundry with your scent ,put it in with him to help. He'll be scared but give him lots of lovin and reassuring cuddles... and post piccies, we love piccies...

Mommy my bows are too tight...
When bad grooming happens to good Malts...

Jewellery, Doggie Goodies, Handmade tiles,cool flying pictures

http://www.picturetrail.com/michellerobison

Vote for Southern Comfort Maltese Rescue , Chattanooga, TN

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...hallenge.faces
michellerobison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Kelly
Dog's Name: Magnolise Avec Bravissimo

Congratulations!!! I absolutely know how excited you are....I just picked up my puppy three weeks ago!

I also was worried about how scared he was going to be....it made me feel so bad to know he was leaving behind everything he had ever known, but I have to say, he really handled the transition like a real trooper!

He seemed more curious than scared...and he actually slept pretty well for the first couple of nights (probably from the stress of the change).

The breeder sent each of us buyers home with a small towel that the puppy had been sleeping with as well as one small toy that the puppy liked. He definitely slept with that blanket and wanted it near when he was sleeping...now it's a tug-of-war toy! *sigh* Pretty much everything is a toy around here, now!

I think that breeders who keep the puppies until they are 12 weeks do an immense service to both the puppy and the buyer. The transition is easier when the puppy is older....and he/she will be a much better age for learning how to be a good member of his/her new home.

My advice - GET LOTS OF SLEEP NOW!!! LOL!!! For the first three weeks (different for each puppy), I was setting my alarm for 2am to take him out to go potty. Then getting up at 5:30am to take him potty and feed him, walk him, and play with him....in time for me to go to work at 8:30.

It REALLY is like having a toddler (with very sharp teeth!) in your house! You have to watch them every minute! My hubby and I keep Bravo tethered to us when we are up and about.

He still (at almost 15 weeks) needs a good amount of sleep - he plays for 2-3 hours, then sleeps for a couple of hours...then potty, then play, then walkies, then eat, then sleep........repeat over and over, LOL!!!

It's so worth it - your going to have a ball!!! Post pictures!!!

I actually have a Papillon puppy...but I joined this message board to get great grooming, nutritional, general toy-breed tips......and all the great people!!
Avec Bravissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

hi and welcome to SM!! It is exciting getting a new puppy!!! I've had 4 in less than three years! The last one came on a plane with a courier at 12 weeks and did just fine. We'll be looking forward to seeing pics and hearing all about your new little one.

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Grace
Dog's Name: Daisy

Congrats on your new puppy just as others said get little collar and lead with ID as you will have to get out for piddle stops. I know we had 2 1/2 hour drive to pick daisy up she never piddle on me but we did sop every 30-45 mins for water and piddle stops. Bring something with your scent.

Enjoy getting them home he will whine first night a bit daisy did but I ignored it however did set my alarm to stand outside the door and listen and peep in to make sure she was ok.

Don't worry they are hardy little things and he will be absolutely finexx
WeeGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Tennille
Dog's Name: Eli

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the advice. I will post pics as soon as we get him.

How will I know if he's whining to potty or just whining to get out of his crate?? When do I give attention and when do I ignore? I would hate to ignore him if he needs to potty but I don't want him to learn whining is ok.
Little Eli's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Robin
Dog's Name: Phoebe Trixibell (adopted) and Griffin (Bonnie's Angel)

Hi Tennille! Welcome to Spoiled Maltese! We drove about 6 hours one way to pick up our baby last June. I sat in the back with him. We had a carrier strapped in and it was large enough for a small pee pad, a blanket and a toy. I also gave him a bully stick and that kept him busy for a long time. I had a bottle of water and would offer him some every hour or so. He did use the pad on the way home. For my husband, who was driving, I'm sure he felt every minute of those 6 hours but for me, the time just flew by.

Congratulations and we can't wait to hear more about (and see pictures of) little Eli!

I would hate to live in a world without dogs, glass, or wine...
MoonDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

Name: Cassie
Dog's Name: Juliet

Congrats and Welcome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

JulietsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Hope
Dog's Name: Bella

Congrats and welcome! Can't wait to see photos!
Advertisement