Greetings from Southeast Missouri - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy
Default Greetings from Southeast Missouri

Hi, I'm not a new Maltese owner but I am new to this wonderful site. I just discovered SM a couple weeks ago and WOW am I impressed! What a wonderful resource of information and what wonderful, supportive people are here! I've been reading reading reading (you guys are CHATTY!) every chance I've had over this busy holiday season and still have lots to read.

I found - literally - my first Maltese 17 years ago this month. I was driving to the grocery store on a busy highway on a dark and stormy December night, when all of a sudden out of the corner of my eye a little white spot standing in the middle of a busy intersection, with cars whizzing by, caught my eye. I said "Oh my gosh IT'S A PUPPY!" and I slammed on my brakes, stopping right in the middle of the intersection. It is a wonder no one slammed into the back of my car. I opened my car door and called "Here puppy puppy!" and thank heavens she ran right to me and stood on her hind legs for me to pick her up. She was so young and so little that she fit in the palm of one hand (dripping wet) as I drove the car with the other. I advertised "found dog" in the local paper for 3 weeks, contacted the local police and sheriff's offices, put up posters at the local vets' offices, and at the local farm supply store where lots of people buy dog food, and even called in to the local radio station's noontime classified ads radio show; but no one ever called to claim her. We couldn't understand how someone could have lost a Maltese puppy yet not look for her, because with all my advertising, if they had looked they would have found her.

Long story short(er), since it was December and the Christmas season, we named her Holly. Holly taught me about the joys of being owned by a Maltese. Up until then, I had always been a big dog person and had no interest in little dogs - until Holly. She was a wonderful little dog and was a fabulous addition to our family. Sadly, she passed away suddenly (we think she had a stroke) this past August 17th at the ripe old age of 17, the day after my twin 2-legged daughters left home for college. I'll always be grateful to Holly for all the joy she brought into our lives.

After losing both Holly and my daughters all in the same week, plus I lost my beloved Golden Retriever in May, I knew I needed a new baby to love and I started my search for a new baby Maltese. In early November we brought home an absolutely wonderful new furbaby Maltese who we named "Ivy" in remembrance of Holly. The "Holly and the Ivy" is a favorite Christmas song and "Holly and Ivy" was one of my daughters' favorite Christmas childrens books when they were little which we read every year together at Christmas time. Ivy has the absolute perfect personality I was seeking. She's lively and playful and keeps me laughing all day; but if I need to work on the computer or at my desk, she is quite content to lie quietly on my lap while I work. We had a big Christmas party last week and she was the perfect little lady. She lay quietly beside us while everyone was eating and sat cheerfully on my lap enjoying the conversations and all the people before and after. She was happy to be held and pet by others and gave them waggy tail and kisses, though she was extra happy to be returned to Mom's lap. I am absolutely smitten with my new little furbaby and hate to leave her even to run to the grocery store! I hurry through my errands so I can get home to her! I take her everywhere with me except the grocery store and restaurants, though we even take her to Panera Bread because they have outside tables and she can eat there with us. She gets lots of AWWWWW's! from passers-by as we're sitting there eating our lunch. I always pull a chair over right next to mine for her to sit on but she prefers mom's lap; one has to be extra careful eating tomato soup with a white dog in one's lap!

Well, that was a longer introduction to us than I had intended but that's our Maltese history. I am very glad to have found this fabulous site and am really enjoying learning from others' experiences. Now, if someone would only post the perfect cure for clearing up tear stains...

Here is a photo from April 2005. Holly was 10 years old in this photo, my Golden Phoebe was 5, and my daughters were 11. Both Holly and Phoebe are gone now...and I miss them both very much. Hm...from this photo, it looks as if Holly had been having fun playing outside in the dirt with my daughters!

And here are my now grown-up daughters from this Christmas Eve with our new little baby Ivy! Ivy was born July 14, 2012 and is now 5 months old.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Walter
Dog's Name: Lucky

Sorry for so many losses. We used to go to Panera after puppy classes ever week for the same reason. The manager was a yorkie owner and took special interest in Lucky. Ivy is gorgeous, she looks like a kisser. Welcome.
wkomorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Sorry for your loss of your furbabies. It is so hard when we lose our pets. Ivy is gorgeous and since she is teething and will be for the next few months I really wouldn't worry too much about tear staining as this will happen. The best thing for you to do is to wash her face everyday and make sure its dry. I use Spa Lavish Face wash as a lot of us here do and its great. Hope you stick around and we get to know more about you and Ivy. Your daughters are beautiful!!
Old 12-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Hi and welcome to SM! First off you're cute little girls grew up to be beautiful young ladies!! It is hard to lose our pets. You gave Holly a great life, as she had a very long one. Ivy is adorable and I know that she'll bring years of joy to you too! So glad that you joined!

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Audrey DeLay
Dog's Name: Jasmine (Female)

Welcome to SM you are right we do like to talk!!! What part of Missouri are you from? I live in Granite City, IL which is 20 minutes away from downtown Missouri (St. Louis). Let us know if you have any questions!!! Cute pictures too

dntdelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Out of curiosity where did you get Ivy??? and I also am from South East Missouri!!!
I have my 1st maltese ever Lucy Lu and shes full of energy! Welcome and this site is awesome and full of info!
Folkerts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: Isabella Anne

Welcome to SM. So sorry to hear about your losses as well. We lost our Miniature Schnauzer last May and it was pretty devastating. Adopting our little Maltese has been so good for us. I know that your little one will give you many, many years of joy.
Isabella's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkerts2 View Post
Out of curiosity where did you get Ivy??? and I also am from South East Missouri!!!
I have my 1st maltese ever Lucy Lu and shes full of energy! Welcome and this site is awesome and full of info!

We got Ivy from someone in Clarksville, TN, about a 5 hour drive each way. We're located in very rural MO about an hour southwest of Cape Girardeau. Are you in this area too? Where did you find your little fluff?
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
TLR
Maltese Guru

Name: Tracey
Dog's Name: Ben

What a great introduction, welcome to SM. Your daughters are beautiful and Ivy is just the cutest. So happy you found a new baby to spoil. As far as the tears, it's probably because she is still teething, but keeping the face clean and dry is also important. I use both spa lavish facial scrub or bio groom tearless on Ben daily.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Dog's Name: Chelsea and Summer

What a way to be introduced to Maltese! It was obviously meant to be, and 17 years is a lot of love. I'm so sorry for your losses. Ivy is a gorgeous little girl and she sounds like a real little lady. Such beautiful pics.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement