This is great!!!! - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nancy Wyant
Dog's Name: Mia
Default This is great!!!!

Having only had a Maltese for 4 days so far, this site should help out a lot. We've had our long walk this morning and now are napping beside mommy. She's three years old...how often should she eat daily. I've read conflicting reports of once a day, twice a day. Her previous owner left food down 24/7 but I don't want to do that. We have three cats too, and she's tried their food which is down all the time and she didn't like it, so I haven't seen her try it again. I'm feeding her Blue Buffalo which my daughter says is all she needs. I will buy her Blue Buffalo treats as well. Does anyone have any ideas for clipping nails? They are quite long.

Last edited by nwyant1946; 02-15-2013 at 12:52 PM.
nwyant1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Welcome to SM Nancy and Mia! Mia is adorable. Most here feed twice a day....once in the AM and then PM. If your feeding her dry food its about a 1/4 cup each meal. Cat food is much higher in protein than dog food so I would be careful with that if Mia decides to munch on that a lot. As far as her nails go you can buy a dog nail clipper to trim them. Mine is very small and looks like a scissor. If your not comfortable doing it yourself you can take her to your vet and they can do it for you. Good luck with Mia and I hope you stick around and post more pics of your precious little girl.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Glenda
Dog's Name: Madison, Axel and Paxton
Send a message via AIM to Madison's Mom

Hi Nancy,
We have cats, too, and they eat Science Diet Indoor. My three pups love it, so we feed the cats on an elevated surface to keep the dogs out of it.

My trio have access to Fromm kibble all day, though they seldom eat it. They eat Blue Buffalo Toy Breed Grain Free in the evening. They are very picky eaters (well, the Maltese are; the Yorkie will eat just about anything) and they will eat BB right now, as long as I hand feed them with a spoon. THEY ARE NOT SPOILED AT ALL!
Old 01-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

She's a cutie! Congrats!! I have small nail clippers I ordered from toplinepet.com. They are not expensive...especially if you think of all the money you'll save in the long run doing it yourself. I usually just clip right before the nail begins to curve under. But if her nails have gotten longer than normal, you may have to start out a little further than that. If you look at her nails, you may be able to see a tan or brownish color in the middle of her nails. I wouldn't cut that part as it will probably bleed. You could get the vet to show you where to clip the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

She sure is cute!!! I feed mine twice a day, 1/4 C each meal and healthy veggies for treats or in between meals.. Green beans, carrots, bits of an apple(no skin) banana.

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Gail
Dog's Name: Lucy

I LOVE her! I really have a thing for older dogs vs. puppies. Look at those eyes--you can almost see into her soul. Lucy (4 years old) eats 2x a day, 1/4 cup each feeding. But she gets some canned food mixed in. Lucy also loves carrots and green beans, but I have to be careful because she can get digestive issues. If Mia likes the dry food plain, I would definitely stick with that. What a beautiful dog you have. Have fun with her!
LoveLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pat
Dog's Name: Maggie

Nancy, welcome to Spoiled Maltese and congratulations on your new baby. My Maggie is 7 years old and I’ve had her since she was a puppy. I feed her twice a day and she seems to do well. If she doesn’t finish what I’ve put down, I leave it for her to finish at her leisure. Maggie has a very sensitive stomach so she is on a prescription diet that I get through the vet. I don’t have cats, but I have heard that it’s not good for dogs to eat cat food. I’m no help with the nail clipping – it terrifies me. Whenever I clip her nails, I take so little off it’s hardly noticeable. I have taken her to Petco for nail clipping, but mostly I ask the vet’s office to do it for me. I too live in Highlands County (Sebring). I wonder if we are neighbors?
Old 01-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Ou Chrissy and Snuggles both eat Blue Buffalo Longevity and get 1/4 C in the morning and 1/4 for their supper. The grain free food tends to have a higher protein content so watch out for that. All in all they are both doing well on BB and my two Cats eat it also for Cats. Your little one is adorable and the best of luck with her.
Snuggle's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nancy Wyant
Dog's Name: Mia
Heart Cats

Major breakthrough with our cats. Jasmine came up on the bed this morning and took her usual place beside me and she and Mia were nose to nose for a long time. Winston is lying on the sofa arm next to me and Mia is napping beside me...Lucy hasn't really had a problem with her at all. I am soooo happy. All my babies will be friends and I love it.

Mia goes for her grooming in about an hour. Will post pictures afterward.

I'm beginning to see why everyone says their Malts are their babys. I'm in love...LOL
nwyant1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Hope
Dog's Name: Bella

Oh she is so adorable! Bella eats Blue Buffalo Freedom - 1/4 cup morning a 1/4 cup in the late evening. She has done great on BB.
Advertisement