Newbie that needs assistance ASAP - Page 5 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #41 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

Ah, I almost got a red poodle from Craigslist from a Spanish TV star, haha. He changed his mind and I didn't get a puppy right away but it set the wheels in motion. I got Gustave about 5 months after that.

Do come back if you end up getting a dog. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #42 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Daisy, Max, Buddy and Bunnie; Grendel, Molly and Bunny in heaven

Oh my goodness, your reply did not come across as rude at all!
You know the situation and what you are comfortable with.
I think that the replies about emailing him and speaking with him directly are because some of us can imagine how frustrating this must be for you. He offered you the puppy and now he seems to be acting as though it never happened. You must be so exicted about the possibility of having the puppy, especially if you are already doing some preliminary shopping, and it just isn't fair for you not to know! You don't know whether to be excited or not. Of course you should handle it however you feel is best. You know the relationship and the circumstances and what is appropriate and comfortable for you. I hope that you have an answer soon. I am sure it will work out for the best.

I feel the need to add that not all of us feel that providing a home for a puppy that needs one, even if the puppy may or may not be from a puppy mill, is a "bullet" to be dodged. I think that you are wonderful for considering taking in a puppy that needs a home. They are very special little dogs, no matter how fancy their pedigree may or may not be, and are all entitled to love. The love that they give back is so much more than you can imagine.

Daisy and Max
Old 01-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #43 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kandis
Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny Maltese
Default Puppy

You have gotten much good advice. I can share my past exper with my puppies coming from the different breeding situations.
So glad you are asking the right questions. I think your doing everything right. Since you insisted on the breeders name you may run into some shyness on his part if he went to another route to buy a puppy. It can be hard to ask the seller questions like your doing when you know them.
But-could be this puppy was a snap decision he made in a store or on the web and now someone is not on board with the work involved with a new puppy. Or many (local breeders) called BYB's that advertise their liters locally will leave a buyer with the feeling "don't come back" if you change your mind and an inexperienced buyer won't feel comfortable calling this breeder back to return it. Many are in it for the money only and know squat about the breed.
He offered you a free puppy / with no ?. I'm always leery of anything free when it comes to a puppy. But I'm not saying this is not the exception. Your dealing with someone you know, that could be reason he is offering the puppy free bec he wants a good home for him. I could see myself in your situation (when I was looking for my first Maltese) and its hard not to make an emotional decision and focus on free. Many owners have no issues with taking a chance health wise and others want to know the puppy's pedigree by going to a reputable breeder.
I bought my first 2 brothers from a local breeder (Byb) I am sorry to say we lost one at 7 mo. His brother is healthy so far but has some orthopedic problems from birth and allergies. Of course he is my love bug.
After a couple yrs, I still wanted two, so some of the members on SM helped me find a reputable show breeder nearby and that's where I got my female. I won't lie, she does not have Sammie's baggage and health problems. But I love them both to pieces. Just wanted to share my experiences. You may not know 100% what the puppy will be like this young. He could have no serious problems or just those non life threatening, but very costly issues like my Sammie from a non rep type breeder, or you may not know until few yrs down the road as many times the initial vet exams are normal, like the puppy that we lost. It's so hard to know much when they are young, so that's where having a pedigree from a reputable breeder helps. And I recomend pet insurance (I use petplan) esp if he is not from a reputable breeder.
Good luck to you!!

Last edited by SammieMom; 01-09-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #44 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Courtney
Dog's Name: Ozzie & Lisa "Left Eye"

I hope you can save this puppy...!!! And let me agree with how annoying it is that he is basically ignoring you after asking you to adopt his dog...

Old 01-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #45 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I hope my first post didn't sound as though I thought this baby is not worthy of a home without a pedigree. I shared my puppy experiences, as the OP asked about rep breeders and expressed her valid concern the puppy could be from a mill with added health risks. For myself, going with a reputable breeder versus rescue was not about whether I would love it, but being able to afford the care it might need, again.

I think it's weird he has not mentioned it again

Old 01-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #46 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Thanks for sharing your experience, Kandis.

My beloved Lady was free. Most of her life she cost me thousands of dollars a year in vet bills and medications/diabetic supplies. The last three years of her life it was about $5,000 a year. I joked that I could have bought two puppies from a show breeder every year for what Lady cost me. To me, paying a couple thousand dollars upfront for a healthy puppy from a show breeder is a much better deal and what I did with Bailey.

Regardless of whether or not you get this puppy or buy one from a reputable breeder, it is important to prepare financially for unexpected vet bills. Insurance is a must IMO, plus you also need to have an account for emergency vet bills. Pet insurance doesn't work like ours does. You must pay upfront, then wait to be reimbursed. Emergency vet hospitals require payment before your pet is even treated. If you don't have the money, they will turn you away.

Also remember that most pet insurance does not cover genetic conditions. That is why it is so important to get a puppy with a health guarantee from a reputable breeder.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #47 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Marj- Your sweet Lady was so lucky you found her. All very good points about insurance coverage.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #48 (permalink)

Name: cami
Dog's Name: Daphne

just ask where he got the puppy from and do some research, you can search under the breeders name to see if there is anything filed with a board of complaints. but it is possible to get a puppy for a decent price from a good breeder, i only paid 300 for mine.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:56 AM   #49 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieMom View Post
You have gotten much good advice. I can share my past exper with my puppies coming from the different breeding situations.
So glad you are asking the right questions. I think your doing everything right. Since you insisted on the breeders name you may run into some shyness on his part if he went to another route to buy a puppy. It can be hard to ask the seller questions like your doing when you know them.
But-could be this puppy was a snap decision he made in a store or on the web and now someone is not on board with the work involved with a new puppy. Or many (local breeders) called BYB's that advertise their liters locally will leave a buyer with the feeling "don't come back" if you change your mind and an inexperienced buyer won't feel comfortable calling this breeder back to return it. Many are in it for the money only and know squat about the breed.
He offered you a free puppy / with no ?. I'm always leery of anything free when it comes to a puppy. But I'm not saying this is not the exception. Your dealing with someone you know, that could be reason he is offering the puppy free bec he wants a good home for him. I could see myself in your situation (when I was looking for my first Maltese) and its hard not to make an emotional decision and focus on free. Many owners have no issues with taking a chance health wise and others want to know the puppy's pedigree by going to a reputable breeder.
I bought my first 2 brothers from a local breeder (Byb) I am sorry to say we lost one at 7 mo. His brother is healthy so far but has some orthopedic problems from birth and allergies. Of course he is my love bug.
After a couple yrs, I still wanted two, so some of the members on SM helped me find a reputable show breeder nearby and that's where I got my female. I won't lie, she does not have Sammie's baggage and health problems. But I love them both to pieces. Just wanted to share my experiences. You may not know 100% what the puppy will be like this young. He could have no serious problems or just those non life threatening, but very costly issues like my Sammie from a non rep type breeder, or you may not know until few yrs down the road as many times the initial vet exams are normal, like the puppy that we lost. It's so hard to know much when they are young, so that's where having a pedigree from a reputable breeder helps. And I recomend pet insurance (I use petplan) esp if he is not from a reputable breeder.
Good luck to you!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysmom View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience, Kandis.

My beloved Lady was free. Most of her life she cost me thousands of dollars a year in vet bills and medications/diabetic supplies. The last three years of her life it was about $5,000 a year. I joked that I could have bought two puppies from a show breeder every year for what Lady cost me. To me, paying a couple thousand dollars upfront for a healthy puppy from a show breeder is a much better deal and what I did with Bailey.

Regardless of whether or not you get this puppy or buy one from a reputable breeder, it is important to prepare financially for unexpected vet bills. Insurance is a must IMO, plus you also need to have an account for emergency vet bills. Pet insurance doesn't work like ours does. You must pay upfront, then wait to be reimbursed. Emergency vet hospitals require payment before your pet is even treated. If you don't have the money, they will turn you away.

Also remember that most pet insurance does not cover genetic conditions. That is why it is so important to get a puppy with a health guarantee from a reputable breeder.

Thank you both Kandis and Marj for sharing your stories. It's something that needs to be shared.

Kandis my heart still hurts for you, i just can't imagine losing a puppy at 7 months of age. Sammie is a complete love bug and his Auntie Debbie just loves that little CM to pieces and of course i love Pen Pen, she's a sweet girl so shy like her grandmommy Reese!

Marj all i know is that Miss Lady won the lottery when she got you as her mommy...with all of her health issues she lived a long and wonderful life
with you from all of the love a wonderful care you gave her.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #50 (permalink)

I really love this board and I appreciate all of the advice and concern.

Still no word from him at this point. Another co-worker pointed out on Tuesday he went out to lunch (which means he has to walk pass my office...) so that means he walked by my office how many times and didn't stop in?

That same coworker looked down the hall this morning while talking to me and his door is open, so that means he's in today. NO WORD STILL.

I called my mom yesterday to check on something and she asked, "Where's the puppy?" She is soooo excited.

I told her the same thing I advised you all - I emailed him and have not heard a word from him. She instantly turned angry and voiced in no uncertain terms that I better not approach him or ask again. He came to me and it's not my responsibility to go any further. Since she is my Pastor she said what I've been thinking myself as a minister - what God has for me IS FOR ME, and if the puppy is meant to be mine, it will work itself out. If NOT; I'm okay with it. Just means another puppy somewhere is meant for me, and this one is not.

*sighs*

Anyway...on Tuesday when he was here, I was in his assistant's office getting help with our licensed bed count (I work for a drug/rehab hospital) for our Clinical Director and I made a joke towards him, he laughed, but never said anything. Ironically, another coworker standing with me walked out of the office and point blank asked him how the puppy was doing, he said he was doing well, and walked away.

WTF?

*shaking my head* I'm so confused. As my mom said, if his wife is saying he can't just give the puppy away since he spent a lot of money on him, TELL ME. I'm okay with that. But tell me something so I can move on with my life. Somedays as a minister it's hard to love people...right about now, situations such as these really makes me hate my fellow human beings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread