Newbie that needs assistance ASAP - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 07:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Newbie that needs assistance ASAP

Good Morning,

My name is Dolores and I MAY become a Malti mom this week. Let me explain and I hope you can offer me some advice.

I've been reading the boards and one thread started by Tulin got me thinking and scared me

I have a co-worker who purchased a Maltese puppy from a breeder for Christmas for his children. Before he purchased the puppy he researched to find a breed that was better for those who have allergies (his wife has allergies and asthma).

So over the Christmas/New Year break, his wife's asthma got really bad. I was on vacation until Jan 3rd...so when I came back, I received an email from him to come down to his office. I wasn't sure what it was about (I thought he was going to spill the beans about layoffs or something ).

So I shut the door and he told me about the puppy and his wife's allergies and asthma that got worse over the holiday. He asked me if I would like the puppy. I said sure, when do you want me to pay you....he said I didn't have to...the money didn't matter. I kept pushing and he said no, it's a gift.

As a good friend and good animal lover I asked him did he contact the breeder because they take puppies back for this reason. He said he had and that they would take the puppy back.

But he knew I wanted a dog so he waited till I came back from vacation to see if I would like to take him (the puppy).

Now here is why I'm introducing myself. The puppy is adorable (he brought him in that morning he picked him up) and I would him greatly, however, after reading Tulin's thread about the pet store...it got me wondering exactly where he got the puppy for the low price he got it. I can't remember it specifically (I will ask again today), but it really made me wonder.

He says he got the puppy from a breeder...so what questions should I ask before I take this puppy? Should I ask what breeder, how much (I can't remember now) he paid, to see the AKC papers, etc?

Any assistance you can provide would be great. I live and work in PA, and my coworker lives in DE, but works in PA....so I'm wondering if there are reputable Maltese breeders in this area where he could have gotten the baby. He's a stand up and honest guy, so I don't believe he would be trying to trick me into taken a sick puppy or anything...

I would love the puppy, but I want to make sure I'm getting a healthy baby.

Also, since he won't take the money from me IF I SAY YES to taking the puppy, I have decided without telling him at this time, to make a nice sizable donation to an organization in his name.

Will this be an issue with the breeder?

Last edited by msdizzydolores; 01-07-2013 at 07:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Bridget
Dog's Name: Lady Bella (and Katie & Lucky at The Bridge)

First, congrats on having the opportunity to rescue a Maltese. They are a wonderful breed. I would definetly ask for the contact information of the breeder. If it was a reputable breeder then they will likely need to approve the change in "ownership". If it was a non reputable breeder, you DO NOT want the dog to go back to them! At that point I would consider it a rescue situation and immediately purchase pet insurance , do a vet visit etc. I have a puppy mill puppy and she is our joy. We totally adore her. Remember just because a dog comes from reputable breeder, it does not necessarily mean it will have good health. That's where pet insurance comes in. Hope this helps and welcome to SM .

BTW, I too have allergie/asthma issues and can tell you that Bella does cause challenges on my health. I love her, but can't honestly say I'd put my breathing through this again. So, I guess I can kinda see where your friends wife is having a tough time.

"A weed is just a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."

Last edited by Summergirl73; 01-07-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Good for your for being so honest. You are right. Reputable breeders always place their puppies with a contract that requires the owner to return the puppy if they can't keep him.

I would ask your friend to show you all the paperwork he got with the puppy. There should be a contract, a health guarantee, and paperwork to prove he is AKC registrable. Even if he has all this, it probably isn't transferable to you without contacting his breeder.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janene
Dog's Name: Babinka (06/09/14 Rainbow Bridge) Peppino and Tiny Tina

Old 01-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks everyone.

I knew I was right about him having to notify the breeder before he can just transfer ownership to me.

So I will see if I can contact the breeder or if he will. I will speak with him when he comes in this morning (he hasn't arrived yet).

He also offered to take him for his last vacc this week and to pay for his neutering when the time comes and give me all he purchased so far.

I'm really shocked because...this is such a blessing if all of this is okay with the breeder

I love this site and I'm learning a lot just reading all of the new and old posts.

I will update you all on the situation later this morning/afternoon!!
Thank you again for your advice and hope to learn more from you if this should work out in my favor!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Glenda
Dog's Name: Madison, Axel and Paxton
Send a message via AIM to Madison's Mom

Welcome. How exciting! I hope it all works out and you are comfortable taking this baby.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

I want to caution you about one thing since you mentioned you live in Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania has a huge puppy mill industry. It is nicknamed "The Puppymill Capital of the East". If your co-worker got this puppy for very little money, he may have come from one of Pennsylvania's many puppy mills.

Send an Email to Pennsylvania Representatives about Commercial Kennels

When you see the paperwork, write down the name of the breeder and/or kennel. I can help you research it.

If this puppy is from a puppymill, he could cost you a fortune in vet bills over his lifetime, much more than paying upfront for a puppy from a reputable breeder. Puppy mills sell heartbreak.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Bridget
Dog's Name: Lady Bella (and Katie & Lucky at The Bridge)

Puppy Mills are rampant in PA and the North East in general. They are horrid. Fortunately you did not buy this puppy from the mill, you would be in a situation to rescue the puppy from being returned to the Puppy Mill. It is not uncommon for puppies returned to mills to be put out or put to sleep if they are not sold when they are very young. If you decide not to accept this puppy, I would be sure to inform the current owner of the dangers of returning a dog to that environment.

"A weed is just a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Old 01-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

I would ask for the name/phone number of the breeder and contact him/her yourself. I would also ask your boss whether you could take the puppy to your own vet for a check-up (at your own expense). Then after finding out more about the breeder and hearing what your vet thinks, that would give you more information to help you decide for sure whether this is the puppy for you.

I hope it works out; you sound like you'd be a wonderful Maltese momma!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

Oh, and if you take the puppy, please come back and post photos! We love photos!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread