Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

new to maltese breed

2K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  Alice Ana 
#1 ·
i just got a puppy she is about 8 weeks old, her name is Daphne, im am new to the breed, but have been on here reading up and learning. found this place especially helpful with tear stain problems.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Welcome! Your fluff is precious :) . Unfortunately Malts should not be away from their Moms until 12 weeks of age, so you'll want to do LOTS of research on here about the best ways to help your little baby. Oh and don't worry over tear stains just yet. Many will have them until after they are finished teething. Just be sure to wash and towel dry the face and around the eyes gently about twice a day and feed a healthy diet. Another great thing to have is one of the dry faced bowls (they keep the beard from getting too wet) :) .

#6 ·
yeah i thought it odd that the breeder wanted me to take her at just 6 weeks, but she had been doing good, housebreaking was easy she is so smart and she eats well. and she is about 2.5 pounds. she was the only pup in the litter that had tear stains.

#7 ·
Welcome, Cami and Daphne!

Cami, be sure to REALLY shelter that tiny baby. Don't put her down outside where other doggies may have been. A baby that tiny and that young would not survive the horrible puppy diseases like parvo. Work very closely with your vet to make sure she has everything she needs to stay healthy, such as her puppy shots (NO lepto!) every 3 weeks without fail. Don't put her down on the floor at the vet's office either or even on the examining table until you have seen it cleaned with a disinfectant (when the assistant takes me into the exam room, I reach for their disinfectant and spray down and wipe the exam table myself to be sure it's been done); keep her in your arms. There are lots of sick doggies in and out of the vet clinics and your baby is very vulnerable to all those diseases, particularly since she was taken away from her momma 6 weeks earlier than she should have been. But if you are diligent with her health care, hopefully she will do ok and grow to be a happy, healthy girl! I look forward to seeing lots more photos of her as she grows! It is so much fun to see everyone's photos here!

#13 ·
She is so sweet. Please read as much as you can here. I'm afraid you can't depend on her breeder for advice, because any one who cared about their puppies would not allow them to leave mom at 6 weeks. In California it is illegal to sell puppies under 8 weeks old. Knowledgeable breeders of toy dogs wait until they are twelve weeks.

Even good vets often don't have experience with the special needs of toy breeds, so you must educate yourself so that you can be her advocate.

Regarding puppy shots, besides not getting lepto, you should not get a combo shot. Rabies should be two weeks after the other puppy shots. I would not take her to a vaccine clinic. My vet never mentioned this, but my breeder sent a letter with instructions for the vet.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your gorgeous little love bug.

#17 ·
LOL@ Puppy Shuffle!! I didn't know it had a name! We learned to do that very quickly when we brought Ivy home: Standing at kitchen counter > shuffle feet into turn never lifting them off of floor > look all around to identify puppy's whereabouts > shuffle to refrigerator > shuffle back to counter > never lift foot off floor when walking, just shuffle > etc etc

#20 ·
Awwww congrats!! Too cute!! I got my Belle at 8weeks too, which is a little early. I was just very cautious with her, didn't expose her to any dogs until she had her shots etc.. all I kept thinking at the time was "Ok little girl you gotta grow a bit so mommy feels a bit more comfortable" they grow SO fast though! Enjoy her!! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.