Hi! What should I bring :) - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi

On This Very Important Day I Wish You Much Happiness.
Cant Wait to see your Baby!-Nickee & Yogi In Pa*
Have A Safe Trip.

Last edited by Yogi's Mom; 02-23-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Default Hi! What should I bring :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi's Mom View Post
On This Very Important Day I Wish You Much Happiness.
Cant Wait to see your Baby!-Nickee & Yogi In Pa*
Have A Safe Trip.
Thank you so much!! I can't wait till Saturday woohoo

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Maltese2bemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese2bemommy View Post
Yea, that's the price for her pups.

She probably is doing the right thing. As long as you feel comfortable with it all it should be fine. I am excited for you.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe's Mom88 View Post
She probably is doing the right thing. As long as you feel comfortable with it all it should be fine. I am excited for you.
Thank you so much!!!

Old 01-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Reva
Dog's Name: Bogie and Cassie
Send a message via Yahoo to revakb2

I would assume that a three year old female from a reputable breeder will come to you spayed. I would expect to pay what the spay and possible teeth cleaning cost the breeder, and maybe a little something over that. Most breeders find a pet home for an older dog when he/she is no longer able to be part of the breeding program. Generally they go to a pet home for the cost of the vets bill. I would not expect to pay what a puppy costs.

I would certainly ask why this dog is being placed in a pet home, and of course you want what ever medical records are available. I personally would like to see the pedigree. I would like to know what the siblings and other relatives have accomplished in the Maltese world. I love the idea of getting an older dog. I am past wanting to put up with puppy antics. Much good luck with your new pet.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revakb2 View Post
I would assume that a three year old female from a reputable breeder will come to you spayed. I would expect to pay what the spay and possible teeth cleaning cost the breeder, and maybe a little something over that. Most breeders find a pet home for an older dog when he/she is no longer able to be part of the breeding program. Generally they go to a pet home for the cost of the vets bill. I would not expect to pay what a puppy costs.

I would certainly ask why this dog is being placed in a pet home, and of course you want what ever medical records are available. I personally would like to see the pedigree. I would like to know what the siblings and other relatives have accomplished in the Maltese world. I love the idea of getting an older dog. I am past wanting to put up with puppy antics. Much good luck with your new pet.
Hi! She isn't spayed yet I will have to get that down. She has a crooked tooth or something like that and that Is why she is going to a pet home. She has been in a show and has placed. I'm not familiar with the show world so I will need more info about that. She is definitely not the price of a puppy. Thank you so much for the help!!! I greatly appreciate it. How much do you think I should pay for her? Could you toss out a number with just the basic info I gave. I don't know anything else as of yet. I will be asking though.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi! She isn't spayed yet I will have to get that done. She has a crooked tooth or something like that and that Is why she is going to a pet home. She has been in a show and has placed. I'm not familiar with the show world so I will need more info about that. She is definitely not the price of a puppy. Thank you so much for the help!!! I greatly appreciate it. How much do you think I should pay for her? Could you toss out a number with just the basic info I gave. I don't know anything else as of yet. I will be asking though.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Reva
Dog's Name: Bogie and Cassie
Send a message via Yahoo to revakb2

I really hate to put a number out there. Every breeder is different, but several years ago, I was looking for a retired show dog. I was quoted prices from a low of $300 to a high of $1000. The dogs were already spayed. The breeders wouldn't let me have them without them being spayed first. The $1000 dog was from a top US breeder and was a finished champion. The age of the dogs I was inquiring about was from 2 to 5 years old.

I am surprised you are being given the dog intact. I hope that this breeder requires you to have the dog spayed ASAP. The most important thing is that you are comfortable with the breeder. There are many threads on how to find a good breeder. Mostly they have to do with puppies, but the same questions apply no matter the age of the dog. Just do a search on questions to ask a breeder before buying.

If you do a search on the breeder kennel name, you may find posts from our members about this particular breeder that would be helpful to you.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revakb2 View Post
I really hate to put a number out there. Every breeder is different, but several years ago, I was looking for a retired show dog. I was quoted prices from a low of $300 to a high of $1000. The dogs were already spayed. The breeders wouldn't let me have them without them being spayed first. The $1000 dog was from a top US breeder and was a finished champion. The age of the dogs I was inquiring about was from 2 to 5 years old.

I am surprised you are being given the dog intact. I hope that this breeder requires you to have the dog spayed ASAP. The most important thing is that you are comfortable with the breeder. There are many threads on how to find a good breeder. Mostly they have to do with puppies, but the same questions apply no matter the age of the dog. Just do a search on questions to ask a breeder before buying.

If you do a search on the breeder kennel name, you may find posts from our members about this particular breeder that would be helpful to you.
Thank you for the quote help. Her price is in that same range. I would have to get her spayed quickly. I have found good things about her on SM. I'm excited!!! Thank you for the help

Old 01-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Carina
Dog's Name: Cadeau, Cadie, Cacia, CherryB, Cherish & Charm (Cloud, Clancy, Clouseau, Cameo & Calypso @ bridge)
Send a message via AIM to CloudClan Send a message via Yahoo to CloudClan

Quote:
Hi! She isn't spayed yet I will have to get that down. She has a crooked tooth or something like that and that Is why she is going to a pet home. She has been in a show and has placed. I'm not familiar with the show world so I will need more info about that. She is definitely not the price of a puppy. Thank you so much for the help!!! I greatly appreciate it. How much do you think I should pay for her? Could you toss out a number with just the basic info I gave. I don't know anything else as of yet. I will be asking though.

Quote:
Thank you for the quote help. Her price is in that same range. I would have to get her spayed quickly. I have found good things about her on SM. I'm excited!!! Thank you for the help

A typical retiree would be placed on the price of a spay and dental. But this girl is on the young side for a retiree. Most are between 4-6. Honestly, the prices on such an unusual find would be all over the place for a variety of reasons. If this girl was shown and if she has been finished, but never bred, the breeder would have invested a lot of time and training in her. She would never be able to recoup all she had invested in such a situation. However, that would increase her value to a pet buyer over a dog that had been used for breeding. And I think it would be fair for a breeder to expect more in that situation.

If she is still in full coat, that would add to her value. If she were trained in some basic manners (beyond conformation) that could also add to her value. So it really isn't easy for anyone to give you a "number" without knowing more about the individual situation. Normally, we can compare prices between breeders, but as I say, this is an unusual age for placement and a lot of factors go into it, so the best you can do is ask the breeder about the price and how she arrived at it. If she is in the range that Reva posted I can only say it seems she is more than fairly priced. I have certainly seen MUCH higher for young adult females.

CloudClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement