A new Maltese-shihtzu mix baby (and fam) saying hi! - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default A new Maltese-shihtzu mix baby (and fam) saying hi!

Hi there!
I'm new here... I am getting a little mixed baby - we get to bring Bruno home on February 8. I'm attaching photos of me and the kiddos when we got to meet him at about 5 weeks.

And I do have a few questions if someone doesn't mind helping me out?

1. I want to carry him in a juicy couture carrier. (I have a juicy problem...) Anyhow, the dimensions of their larger bag are: 18"long, 12"high, 8"wide. How big of a dog will that carry? The amount of money I'd be spending on a Juicy carrier, I want it to last his whole life.

2. At 6 weeks he was 1lb 6 oz... both parents are about 5 pounds - any guesses at adult size on him?

3. Does anyone else have a baby that still likes being carried as an adult? Anything specific you do to convince them to like it?

4. Our safety/containment set-up for Bruno is as such: an old playpen, removable vinyl cloth bottom covered with potty pads in one corner (1/4 of the area), then a small/medium plastic crate (that said up to 15 pounds) with a soft cushy bed in the crate. Plus a bully skin chew, 3 different kinds of chew toys, and a food/water bowl. Does that sound adequate? I want to crate train him, but it seems pretty cruel since he's so small to leave him in the crate all night, plus during the day at work. I figured this way, the crate would still be his bed (and he'd hopefully get used to sleeping in there) but he'd have room to hit the potty and play a little if he needed to. Reasonable? Or am I crazy?

I can't remember what other questions I had at the moment... THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP! Can't wait to get to know you all!

-d
dianastout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Cookie and Steve
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese

Hi!

Do you mind if I ask where you are getting this cute little pup from?

It's pretty much impossible to predict adult weight with a mixed breed pup - and really, 5 lbs for the shih tzu mom or dad sounds really suspicious. They are a bigger breed of dog and 5 lbs is abnormally small.

But that said, I personally would wait to get your Juicy bag until your pup is a little older because you just don't know. If it was a purebred pup from a show breeder, there would be a bit more accurate size to predict but with the unknown genetics, you just don't know. I got a Juicy bag when I got my first maltese puppy and it's been sitting for 6 years because she grew out of it. I just got it out of storage yesterday because i have a smaller dog to put into it so will be using it again. But I would just wait or get a used one from Ebay knowing that you may have to get a bigger one later on!

Temperament will depend on how easily he will adjust to be carried in a carrier - some dogs are just nutty and dont' want to be in a carrier while others are more than content to ride around. At 6 weeks, I don't think you can accurately assess the temperament so it may be a bit of a guessing game!

An xpen will work out fine.

Your kids are darling and look very excited about their new future puppy!

bellaratamaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

He is so cute. I'm sure you are super excited. I want one of those juicy bags too. Where are you getting it? It sounds like you have everything perfect for your little guy. My only suggestions would be to make sure he has all of his shots before you take him out and about. Parvo is so dangerous. Congrats!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Maltese2bemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Welcome to SM!! Your puppy is adorable. I agree with Stacy.....Shitzu's can range from 9 - 16 lbs. and it's hard to believe that the mixed pups will be only 5 lbs. It's always hard to predict weight at a young age. Whatever his weight will be you will love him.......he is so cute!!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi

Hello from pa-the childern are so cute-and your new baby to be-is adorable. its a time to be happy-the hard work starts when Bruno gets home. i love that name.

I You dont want to crate him--these iris x-pens are fantastic. i cant stand to see yogi in a crate. so i have a great big one then got this. i love it=It Came from Amazon.com-just pick it up and it can go anywhere, you can choose soft comfy things for the botton.
This Place Is Great,You Never stop learning Here. Good Luck. Ill Be Watching For Bruno to come home.

Last edited by Yogi's Mom; 02-23-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Hope
Dog's Name: Bella

Welcome! I also thought that it seemed odd that either Shih Tzu mom or dad is only 5 lbs. I had a Shih Tzu when I was younger - he is at the Bridge - but he was a solid 13 pounds. They are not really smal dogs like Malts and Yorkies. That being said, I also agree that you should wait on buying an expensive carrier. You just don't know how big that lil guy is going to get especially given his mixed breeding. He is very cute. Your set up sounds good. I also prefer the Iris pens. My experience in the past with play pens for human babies is that the pup can chew through the netting or get a little nail caught. That hurts!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianastout View Post

1. I want to carry him in a juicy couture carrier. (I have a juicy problem...) Anyhow, the dimensions of their larger bag are: 18"long, 12"high, 8"wide. How big of a dog will that carry? The amount of money I'd be spending on a Juicy carrier, I want it to last his whole life.

2. At 6 weeks he was 1lb 6 oz... both parents are about 5 pounds - any guesses at adult size on him?

3. Does anyone else have a baby that still likes being carried as an adult? Anything specific you do to convince them to like it?

4. Our safety/containment set-up for Bruno is as such: an old playpen, removable vinyl cloth bottom covered with potty pads in one corner (1/4 of the area), then a small/medium plastic crate (that said up to 15 pounds) with a soft cushy bed in the crate. Plus a bully skin chew, 3 different kinds of chew toys, and a food/water bowl. Does that sound adequate? I want to crate train him, but it seems pretty cruel since he's so small to leave him in the crate all night, plus during the day at work. I figured this way, the crate would still be his bed (and he'd hopefully get used to sleeping in there) but he'd have room to hit the potty and play a little if he needed to. Reasonable? Or am I crazy?

I can't remember what other questions I had at the moment... THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP! Can't wait to get to know you all!

-d
1 & 2. Like Stacy said - it's rare for a Shih tzu to be that small. Could it happen? Yes... but Shih tzu's are usually around 8 pounds for smallest ones and they can go up to 16 pounds. With that said - it's impossible to know what his weight will be because Shih Tzu's vary in weight so much. You can guess, but even that can be wrong.

So for a carrier - I'd get a less expensive one until he is 18 months old, or if you get one at 1 year, make sure it can carry 2-3 pounds heavier.

3. Grace is 1 year now and she loves to be carried. Gus is 3 and he LOVES to be carried but is too big to be LOL With that said - not all dogs do. I think Grace loves to be carried because I made really positive associations with her bag from the start. I never forced her in her bag or kept her in it if she didn't want to be in it. Now she gets so excited when her bag comes out because she loves going places And she happily stays in it while we are out.

4. Is the old playpen like a pack and play? Or is it like an xpen?

I think the most important thing to do when you get Bruno - the DAY you get him - is to sign up for PET INSURANCE.

Congrats on your new addition

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Laura
Dog's Name: Sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianastout View Post
Hi there!
I'm new here... I am getting a little mixed baby - we get to bring Bruno home on February 8. I'm attaching photos of me and the kiddos when we got to meet him at about 5 weeks.

-d

Aww i have a little maltese x shihtzhu too, he's 6 months old today. Love him to pieces. Your puppy is SOOO gorgeous.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Oh, so very cute indeed and best of luck with your new Puppy when he finally arrives at your home. However, there is nothing wrong with putting a new Puppy in a crate as long as there is plenty of room. All of our Dogs have been crate trained and there is still one in our Kitchen that three out of our four animals (2 Cats, 2 Dogs) go into and lie down. We do not have the room for an x-pen in our home but I did like what I saw on Yogi's Mom's post.
Snuggle's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Aww, sooo cute!!

I also would wait on buying an expensive bag. My Leila was a little over a pound when I got her. Her parents are both 4 lbs. well, Leila is now 8.8 lbs at 6 1/2 months and I have no idea how much bigger she's going to get. She can no longer wear all those cute little xs clothes that I made or bought for her and she doesn't fit well in the carriers I made or bought either. I'm so glad I wasn't able to find one of the expensive bags I liked.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement