Pearls photo - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 06:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Dog's Name: Pearl
Default Pearls photo

Here is a picture of Pearl from a couple months ago. I think she will be getting a haircut as she matts easily. Should I wait until the weather gets warmer or is it OK to go ahead and do it now? I do have coats and sweaters for her.
Attached Thumbnails
Pearls photo-image.jpg  
Pearls Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Walter
Dog's Name: Lucky

How cute is that. She is beautiful and looks so sweet. Long versus short hair is such a difficult decision. Although Lucky is an indoor dog, I keep his hair longer in the winter and shorter in summer. Clothes will add to matting, so brushing a couple of times a day is essential. Personally, I find that if can keep up on the brushing and bathing, the mats are minimal. So dogs do mat easier than others. Remember to de-mat before baths, or you are just setting them. How often will she be going to the grommers? We do every six weeks, and do once a month. A good groomer can be a huge help.

Welcome and give Pearl hugs from Lucky. You know that you literally saved her life adopting her.
wkomorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Welcome from one Pennsylvanian to another...Your little Pearl is adorable and you certainly have done a great job with her. Chrissy and Snuggles say hi too!!
Snuggle's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi

Mommy You Did A Great Job With Her--You Saved A Life and Began A New One Together with her. I Keep Yogi Short. And Groom every 4 weeks. It Seems to work O.K. Pearl Your A Doll Baby.
Yogi Says Welcome Pretty girl!!!!!
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

I would wait until it gets a little warmer...or at least make sure they don't cut it too short. I stripped my poor Ray and he has been very unhappy. Unfortunately, it suddenly got very cold here. By the way, very cold here is mid-thirties at night, mid fifties in the day. I know it is a lot colder in PA.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pat
Dog's Name: Archie, Abbey, Ava, Mona Lisa and Tinker

All my malts are in short hair. It's warm inside... And I bundle them up if we go out. Actually Ava doesn't seem to mind the cold one bit.......she goes out the doggie door and just mills around for a while - the colder the better....

The only one who doesn't like the cold is Mona Lisa...and she's not a maltese.

Archie, Ava and Abbey
Life is Good!!!....and keeps gettin' better!!!

To get to Ava's FB page...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ava/2...9759780?ref=hl
The A Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Quite honestly I would wait a bit until the weather warms up---but you will have to vigilant about grooming in the mean-time. When the heat is on they tend to be more static & thus mat more. Clothes make them matt too. I think it depends on the dog & the type of hair, what you end up doing. I say make puppy as comfy as you can.
Welcome to SM!
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi

Hi Pearl--I was going to write you a Puppy Love Letter but i fell asleep-So My Mom Is Sending this while i nap a little--Yogi In Pa*

Last edited by Yogi's Mom; 03-08-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Name: Joyce
Dog's Name: Majic, Anabelle (Annie), Benji and Connor (Tzus), Brady (Pap), Jazz (Golden) & Teddy at the Bridge

Pearl is a little beauty! I have both my maltese fluffs in long coat and I keep Annie dressed as well as she still gets cold. She has a heated kennel called a Sleepypod that she has to be in and have it covered over with a blanket for the night. She needs a coat over her clothes as well as lots of blankets in her car sear when she goes anywhere. She won't even poke her nose out to pee outside. But it has been down to over 30 degrees below Celsius here for about a month. On the other hand, altho Majic has a long coat too, and I do have sweaters and coats for him, he is happiest to go outside "naked" to potty but does have the option of washable pee pads inside. My two Tzus have haircuts that have their mid sections short and legs long but that doesn't deter them from outside either. The rest all go out just as they are but sometimes come back in in a hurry! I think Pearl should be okay if you put the sweaters and coats on her to start with to see what she herself thinks she needs.
doggyluver5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nora
Dog's Name: Cici
Send a message via Yahoo to BellaNotte
Default Pearls photo

Pearl is so cute! About the hair, I'm not sure but I personally had Cici's hair cut short in December because she started matting like crazy all of the sudden even though I was brushing her daily, and it was pretty cold but I figured well she's inside most of the time anyways, and she has jackets I can put on her when we go outside. It's worked out well, she doesn't get cold at all, on the contrary, when I feel cold I pick her up and she warms me up right away! I don't know if it's a Maltese thing, but in comparison to my sister's yorkie, Cici is much more warm than him. I would just suggest doing what you think needs to be done for the better, but just making sure if you go short on her hair, to keep her warm with sweaters while outside or carrying her to keep her warm, and keeping the indoor temperature warm also.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App