So many questions...Princess Sassy Pants & Co. - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2017, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Jane Lee Logan
Dog's Name: Baby(Prince Pup) & Prince Pucci
Default So many questions...Princess Sassy Pants & Co.

Hi all,

I introduced myself and my two Princes a few days ago. But for those who didn't see that:

I'm new here. I'm the creator, author and illustrator of Princess Sassy Pants & Co. and I have two Maltese Pups. Baby (Prince Pup) is a senior pup and Prince Pucci is his new little brother who will be 16 weeks this Saturday. Prince Pucci weighed in at 2 lbs 2.8 oz this morning (34.8 oz).

I have been changing his food from what he came with (Nutri Source) to Orejen Puppy mixed with a small amt of Stella & Chewy meal mixers for some time. He seemed to be tolerated the switch well so I eliminated the Nurti Source completely a couple of days ago. His stool became too soft so I'm now doing 1/2 Orejen, 1/2 Arcana (grasslands), a bit of Stella & Chewy mixers and a wee bit of pumpkin. He gobbles it up so fast (and even tries to eat the plate) that I'm not sure how much to feed him now. He used to eat a portion of the two tablespoon portions I was giving him 4 times a day. Any suggestions re how much I should feed him at his weight per meal would be appreciated. His poops are better now as well.

And while we're on the subject of poop--he likes to eat his. So now he has another nickname beside Chewcifer and Sir Bitealot...Prince Pooo-chie Poo. I try to get it before he does but I'm not always successful. I'm not sure if the food change with affect this yet. Any suggestions besides giving him pineapple or putting hot sauce on his poo? (Two things I read about but don't feel comfortable doing.)

He's doing great on his pee pad, is learning quickly as I spend a lot of time with him--he will sit, lay down, give me his paw (sometimes) and is learning to stay. For such a little guy, I am really amazed how fast he is learning and how much he understands.

Baby (Prince Pup) still wants nothing to do with him and I keep them separated for now. Baby isn't aggressive with him but I also haven't allowed Pucci to jump all over him so I'm not sure how he's going to react when I let him loose with him. I'm taking it slowly.

Baby is 14 years old and has been spoiled, spoiled, spoiled. Did I say that he's spoiled? He is a very picky eater and turns his nose at most dog foods but has developed allergies to chicken, beef, pork, and fish that I know of so he gets lamb chops. Yes, I cook him lamb chops two times a day as it seems to be the only thing he can both tolerate and is willing to eat. He turns his nose up at these too at times as wants more variety. Any suggestions re what to feed him? I'm at a loss and it's a daily struggle.

Oh, I have struggled with his barking for-eva! I have tried everything you can imagine (but nothing that I though might hurt him) over the years to train him not to bark his little head off and nothing worked. It really limited where I could take him. It broke my heart. Recently I tried this vibrating bark collar and it seems to be working! I can't believe it! I played with it before I put it on him and it just makes a noise and vibrates a little but apparently that's enough. Cross my fingers that he doesn't just get used to it like he has other attempts. Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Princepup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2017, 04:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Linda
Dog's Name: Lily
Smile Oh my goodness!

I googled your work. Beautiful! I LOVE the Maltese images!!! So talented! And the inspirational sayings--lovely!

Congratulations on your new pup! Your older one is definitely very fortunate-- two lamb chops a day

Glad you have found this site.

I don't have much advice to give about the dog food questions. My experience: I feed my four year old 7-8 pound Maltese a dehydrated Stella and Chewy patty in the morning and one in the evening, and for fun she gets grain free kibble in a treat ball dispenser. Plus treats (boiled chicken breast strips, etc.)

Welcome!

Linda
Old 06-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Jane
Dog's Name: Carley Rose, and sweet dreams: Sparkle, Snowflake, Puppy Dolly

I first saw your artwork on Facebook and just love that it is so very cute and has the best dog breed in the world in each drawing!! You are very talented!! Welcome to spoiled maltese!

Follow Carley on Facebook: Carley Rose the maltese
or Instagram: janehdog
puppydoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pat
Dog's Name: Archie, Abbey, Ava, Mona Lisa and Tinker

Hello Jane. I'm Pat, welcome to spoiled maltese! Wish I was around here more, since FB became so popular, I've spent more time over there. But love to visit to see what old friends are up to.

I love your Sassy Pants pictures and quotes, they always seem to fit an occasion.

I try to share my maltese to bring others a smile also, with Ava's FB page, it's amazes me how much people enjoy these little white dogs.

Anyway, welcome. I fed my dogs raw for awhile one time, but with multiple dogs, it really gets expensive. I now feed a good kibble and mix it with Dr. Harvey's.

Archie, Ava and Abbey
Life is Good!!!....and keeps gettin' better!!!

To get to Ava's FB page...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ava/2...9759780?ref=hl
The A Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Joanne
Dog's Name: Lacie 3/11/12,Sunnydales Suki 1/4/14, Sunnydales Mika 5/2/15, Casey 1990-2008)(Maddy 1998-2012

Hi, welcome!
Love your work. I follow you on FB and it always brings a smile twhen I see them.
As far as feeding, I feed the Honest kitchen to two of my girls and Sojo's goat to my youngest who is 2 years old. My Suki is 3.7 and I feed her 1/8 cup of HK a.m & p.m and Mika (Ling Ling) 1/8 of sojo's. They don't seem to require a lot from what I'm seeing when feeding raw or dehydrated. As long as they are maintaining a healthy weight and not losing, then they should be fine.
As far as poop eating. My youngest still eats her or my other girls when I miss picking up a pile or if I'm not home, or during the night when I can't monitor her. The only thing that has worked...and I've tried everything is the "leave it command" if she's too far from me to scoop it up. At least if I say the command, she will not touch it.
Deter worked for a little bit and then did nothing. Pineapple was a bust and hotsauce only had my Suki loving it and she isn't a poop eater, so that was a diaster. I did add enzymes to her diet, that hasn't helped. Switching to raw was helpful but still that desire to snack is always there.
I wish I has a solution but I don't. Most puppies grow out of it around 1 year old, unfortunately it didn't for us.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Crystal
Dog's Name: Zoe, Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin)

The 'vibration' collar is still a correctional tool. It is still unpleasant and can be frightening. Over a decade of research by veterinary behaviorists, not a traditional vet but an actual vet behaviorist, has scientifically proven over and over again that correctional forms of training are only short term 'quick fixes' that can actually cause future behavioral issues. He could even associate this new unpleasant experience with the new puppy and cause even further problems with him accepting the new one. At 14 years of age, along with having to deal with the stress of a new puppy, he should not have to deal with the anxiety of a correctional form of training. Please don't use it on your puppy either. If your puppy happens to be in a fear period when you use this device, it can have long lasting repercussions. I recommend you start working with a certified positive reinforcement trainer to learn the 'leave it command'. For such a young puppy to already be eating his own waste is often, not always, but often an indication that where he came from was more of a larger breeding facility where the mothers had to clean up their waste themselves instead of the breeder being able to get to it quickly enough. Didn't I read that you got your little guy from a pet store? Do you actually know who the breeder is? The pedigree lines for your little guy? How old was he when you got him? What was his ranking in his litter? When was he taken from his litter mates? I'm wondering if perhaps he did not learn proper puppy etiquette from his litter mates and his mother by being taken a little too early. If this is the case, it's another really great reason to contact a certified positive reinforcement trainer. One of the best sources to start an initial search is with the Karen Pryor Training Academy.

https://www.clickertraining.com/

If you are feeding on a schedule, knowing when he will need to eliminate will be easy to determine and you can be there to pick up right away. He's still being house trained so now is the perfect time to work with him on 'leave it' because he should never be more than a foot or 2 away from you when he's going to his piddle pad. Are you crate training? He should not eliminate in his crate at all. And if you are setting him up for success by taking him to his piddle pad when it's time, you are right there to pick it up.

As for food, both Acana and Orijen are pretty high in protein for a teeny one. Raw is also high in protein, but high in moisture. So it's safe for their kidneys. Honestly, I would do Stella and Chewy's only. Far superior to any processed dry kibble. Just read the ingredients for yourself to decide. If you can't pronounce it, or don't know what it is, we or our fluffs shouldn't be eating it. But be sure to hydrate the S&C's if you are doing the freeze dried. Even S&C encourage that for their freeze dried.

As for how much to feed, how much does he weigh? That will be one of the key pieces needed for how much to feed.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Lacie 3/11/12,Sunnydales Suki 1/4/14, Sunnydales Mika 5/2/15, Casey 1990-2008)(Maddy 1998-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal&Zoe View Post

As for food, both Acana and Orijen are pretty high in protein for a teeny one. Raw is also high in protein, but high in moisture. So it's safe for their kidneys. Honestly, I would do Stella and Chewy's only. Far superior to any processed dry kibble. Just read the ingredients for yourself to decide. If you can't pronounce it, or don't know what it is, we or our fluffs shouldn't be eating it. But be sure to hydrate the S&C's if you are doing the freeze dried. Even S&C encourage that for their freeze dried.
I personally would not recommend Stella & Chewys to our dogs, especially after having two dogs with IBD, one with chronic pancreatitis after feeding it.
I'm on several support groups and after taking polls of what diet their dogs were eating when dx with IBD or pancreatitis, most were on S&C. Yup...most!
Coincidence maybe but I would not be willing to take that chance with my third dog who is thriving on sojo's goat. In fact, for the first 6 months that I had her, I started her on S&C rotating and she started showing GI symptoms, gas, burping ect. As soon as I made the switch to Sojo's, all symptoms stopped.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Crystal
Dog's Name: Zoe, Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddysmom View Post
I personally would not recommend Stella & Chewys to our dogs, especially after having two dogs with IBD, one with chronic pancreatitis after feeding it.
I'm on several support groups and after taking polls of what diet their dogs were eating when dx with IBD or pancreatitis, most were on S&C. Yup...most!
Coincidence maybe but I would not be willing to take that chance with my third dog who is thriving on sojo's goat. In fact, for the first 6 months that I had her, I started her on S&C rotating and she started showing GI symptoms, gas, burping ect. As soon as I made the switch to Sojo's, all symptoms stopped.
Every dog (creature & human) can have food intolerance's. Burping and gas is not necessarily indicative of IBS, IBD and certainly not pancreatitis. Most often burping and gas is a sign of digestive upset and possibly due to a food intolerance. Jett is my rescue and came to me with severe IBD. I almost lost him. Had I left it up to traditional vet medicine, he would have been eating only chicken and rice and on Metronidazole every day for the rest of his life. I have successfully healed his IBD and he can now eat pretty much anything. It took the course of about 3 years to build him up to raw and then to the point I could rotate through not only different protein sources, but brands as well. S&C is only one brand I use. We stick to the 'cold' and 'neutral' protein sources though.

S&C was only one brand I had sold when I had my store. I had many sick toy breed dogs improve and do better on S&C. I'm curious how many of those dogs were being fed S&C only and how many were using it as toppers and mixing it with dry kibble or canned. And if so, what ratio kibble to S&C? Were they rotating formulas? Were they doing frozen or dehydrated? If dehydrated, were they properly hydrating? How were their dogs introduced to S&C? How long had they been on it? I applaud keeping food diaries and trying to get to the source of the issue. However a survey is not a controlled study and there are so many variables. I find it a bit dangerous to accuse a brand that is doing things so much better than most commercial foods out there to not be suited to specific dog groups.

Last edited by Crystal&Zoe; 06-18-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Crystal&Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal&Zoe View Post
Every dog (creature & human) can have food intolerance's. Burping and gas is not necessarily indicative of IBS, IBD and certainly not pancreatitis. Most often burping and gas is a sign of digestive upset and possibly due to a food intolerance. Jett is my rescue and came to me with severe IBD. I almost lost him. Had I left it up to traditional vet medicine, he would have been eating only chicken and rice and on Metronidazole every day for the rest of his life. I have successfully healed his IBD and he can now eat pretty much anything. It took the course of about 3 years to build him up to raw and then to the point I could rotate through not only different protein sources, but brands as well. S&C is only one brand I use. We stick to the 'cold' and 'neutral' protein sources though.

S&C was only one brand I had sold when I had my store. I had many sick toy breed dogs improve and do better on S&C. I'm curious how many of those dogs were being fed S&C only and how many were using it as toppers and mixing it with dry kibble or canned. And if so, what ratio kibble to S&C? Were they rotating formulas? Were they doing frozen or dehydrated? If dehydrated, were they properly hydrating? How were their dogs introduced to S&C? How long had they been on it? I applaud keeping food diaries and trying to get to the source of the issue. However a survey is not a controlled study and there are so many variables. I find it a bit dangerous to accuse a brand that is doing things so much better than most commercial foods out there to not be suited to specific dog groups.
Like I said said "coincidence, maybe". As far as I know, they were being fed and rotating for the years prior. These people are extremely knowledgeable. I understand you love the brand because you sold it but it does not work for everyone. I for one thought it was the best until 2 of my 3 dogs got sick while feeding it to them, so yes, I'm overly hesitatant to refer someone to this brand.
I understand IBD very well. I've spent countless hours researching a cure for Lacie who had been on S&C. She also suffers with severe IBD, a very complicated case having both upper and lower IBD. What I do know is this. What works for one, doesn't work for another. Diet alone doesn't work for all, diet alone can not cure all, especially the complicated ones or those suffering with SIBO, PLE, EPI that can be secondary to IBD. Sometimes a dog needs to resort to meds, it's life or death. There are other drugs that work strictly in the gut with less side effects than metronidazole and prednisone. Fecal transplant is what helped my girl most. Ozone therapy another.
So, I'll stand by what I believe most, 'if you do not know that your dog doesn't have an underlying GI condition, then I would not recommend S&C".
Old 06-18-2017, 08:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

I personally would not use any kind of correction collar, including vibrating, on a small dog. These are negative reinforcement collars and often sensitize the pup to the actual collar rather than stopping the barking. You would be better served by having a qualified trainer help you teach bark and stop on command - there is a time and place for barking, and your dog should be able to go silent on command.
Advertisement