Nutrical....how much and when?? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2007, 08:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

I have been told to get some Nutrical. I need to know how much and how often do I give it to my little pup? I am so excited I will be picking her up today and my wife will get her tomorrow. Santa will be coming tonight.
emsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2007, 08:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stephen Moore
Dog's Name: Rocky, Max, & Chance

Quote:
I have been told to get some Nutrical. I need to know how much and how often do I give it to my little pup? I am so excited I will be picking her up today and my wife will get her tomorrow. Santa will be coming tonight. [/B]
Nutricalcal is an emergency suppliment in case your pup is not eating and the goal is that your pup will eat on their own and will never need the stuff. Do you know how old is the pup? Even at 12 weeks, they have just been weaned and eating on their own for a relatively short while. We have 4 pups nearing 9 weeks old and they are still trying to feed off mom... (but I don't think she is producing much)

The first couple weeks especially you need to watch her carefully and note how much and how often he/she eats. I think the general guideline is to try and make sure the pup eats a little every couple of waking hours. (it might just be one piece of kibble). The Nutrical is in case the pup does not eat and you feel he/she may be close to going into shock from low blood sugar. Maltese can be picky eaters and it is not unusual to have to try several types of puppy kibble, canned food, even cooked skinless and boneless chicken before you hit on something that they will eat and thrive on.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

She is 9 weeks old. I know it is a little on the young side from what I have been reading. She is eating dry kibble on her on. When I went to pick her out I actually saw her eating........so hopefully she will continue to eat. I know the transition will be tough on her and I know she will get plenty of attention. We do not have any other dogs, we do however have a cat. What are the signs that she may need the Nutrical. Is it the typicalsigns like lythagic, drunk like status?
Old 12-23-2007, 08:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
She is 9 weeks old. I know it is a little on the young side from what I have been reading. She is eating dry kibble on her on. When I went to pick her out I actually saw her eating........so hopefully she will continue to eat. I know the transition will be tough on her and I know she will get plenty of attention. We do not have any other dogs, we do however have a cat. What are the signs that she may need the Nutrical. Is it the typical signs like lythagic, drunk like status?[/B]
I've never seen it but I believe so. Also, the gums take on an abnormal color. Hopefully, if I am wrong, someone will step up and correct me.

Good luck with the pup!
Old 12-23-2007, 09:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have read on here that it is kinda the same signs as a diebetic when their blood sugar gets low. I also read that you can use it for a supplement. I also read that some people give it as a praise treat like after they go potty. I just want to do the best for our new addition!
Old 12-23-2007, 09:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
I have read on here that it is kinda the same signs as a diebetic when their blood sugar gets low. I also read that you can use it for a supplement. I also read that some people give it as a praise treat like after they go potty. I just want to do the best for our new addition![/B]
I believe it is exactly the same sort of thing as a diabetic goes through (though different root cause). Ours were never thrilled about any food treat... They want so much to please their humans that just some excited sounding praise was all ours ever really wanted.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janet
Dog's Name: Koby (Angel Scooby & Koko)

Quote:
She is 9 weeks old. I know it is a little on the young side from what I have been reading. She is eating dry kibble on her on. When I went to pick her out I actually saw her eating........so hopefully she will continue to eat. I know the transition will be tough on her and I know she will get plenty of attention. We do not have any other dogs, we do however have a cat. What are the signs that she may need the Nutrical. Is it the typicalsigns like lythagic, drunk like status?[/B]
Hi, I agree with what Steve said above, Nutri-Cal is fine if your puppy isn't eating to add extra vitamin suppliments but if you see signs of hypoglycemia, ie- listlessness, head drooping, white gums and general lethargic appearance the quickest way I dealt with that when Koko was a puppy was to use Karo Syrup.
Put a little on your finger and gently rub it on the upper gums under the top lip as it is absorbed more rapidly that way, this is what my vet told me to do. koko's recovery was almost instant each time.
I would try to moisten the kibble for your puppy as she is so young and may find it difficult to chew dry kibble and not actually eat enough, also a good quality canned puppy food might be good to add to the kibble, just a teaspoon at first till she adjusts and gradually increase as she copes well with it.

You need to act quickly if your puppy is showing signs of hypoglycemia as it can be fatal if not treated immediately.
Our breeder advised us to give nutical mornings and night just a tiny amount on your finger about a quarter inch or less from the tube and let your pup lick it off, most pups love it but some don't like it at all.
Once Koko was eating well after his initial shock of moving to a new home I ceased the nutrical, but he was 3 months old at the time we brought him home, he weighed just under 2lbs.
Do you know what weight your puppy is? The tinier the puppy the higher the risk of bringing them home prior to 12 weeks.
I hope I have helped you in some small way
Old 12-23-2007, 09:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thank You all for the input. I am not exactly sure of her weight. I do plan to get her to the vet wednesday or thursday for a check-up. My biggest concern is the transition to her new family. When I visited her she wa spunky to say the least. She was running around playing with her siblings. She appeared to be very happy. All I can hope is that it carries over. She will have all day with me today and tomorrow when I get home she will be introduced to her new family. I am excited and scared all tiedinto one. I have done alot of reading and alot of people point out some good things........some times a little to much. The only thing I have to go on is what the breeder tells me and what I see. Granted I only visited with her for about 1.5 hours but in that time no red flags went up.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Thank You all for the input. I am not exactly sure of her weight. I do plan to get her to the vet wednesday or thursday for a check-up. My biggest concern is the transition to her new family. When I visited her she wa spunky to say the least. She was running around playing with her siblings. She appeared to be very happy. All I can hope is that it carries over. She will have all day with me today and tomorrow when I get home she will be introduced to her new family. I am excited and scared all tiedinto one. I have done alot of reading and alot of people point out some good things........some times a little to much. The only thing I have to go on is what the breeder tells me and what I see. Granted I only visited with her for about 1.5 hours but in that time no red flags went up.[/B]
You will be fine with your new baby! We have all been there once. You will continue to learn stuff everyday, and will find different things that work for you and your baby. There will be a transition period, but dogs adjust quickly, especially when they're young. The main thing is that a new puppy is not really potty trained, so for both of mine that we got young, that was the most time and work (and took the most patience). With our smaller yorkie, Haley, I would give her nutrical in the morning until she was about 9 months old because she only weighed less than 3 lbs. and I didn't want to risk her getting low. She also wasn't a great eater. Since then she loves eating and I really never give her nutrical, if at all. It all depends on the weight and age of your pup from my experience. Our yorkie Rocky was HUGE and has never needed nutrical (when I say huge, he is 10 lbs. full grown, so he was probably already 3.5 lbs. when we brought him home).

I am not saying this to cause controversy, but the fact that your babies breeder is allowing her to go so young at 9 weeks is a red flag, at least for most people on this board. I say it because you mentioned red flags and the breeder.

But, that doesn't change the fact that you love your new maltese and will give her a great home.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

This is such an exciting time for you, we've all been there! Just use the search engine here whenever you have a question, I did and it was VERY useful. We'll be looking for picture posts,

Merry Christmas!

mary anna herk and theena
makettle29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement