Which clipper is best? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Leandra
Dog's Name: Bianca & Bitsy

I've been shopping around for clippers for my fluffs. I've recently started doing my own grooming and borrowed a clipper from a friend. It did the job, but now its time to buy my own. These are the two I'm looking at. I'm definately looking for cordless. Bitsy has a nice straight coat but Bianca is half poodle so her coat is on the curly side. I don't want to spend a lot of money on it. I'm just looking for something that will get the job done and will last a while.

Has anyone on this site used either of these clippers? Any pros or con's. Any advice would be appreciated.

http://www.petedge.com/product/Sale/Top-Te.../1245/53179.uts

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wahl-Pro-Series-...t-Dogs/11035700
llf060787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: London (12/20/07) & Preston (03/25/09)

Out of the two, I would say the 2nd link is the better choice -- but I doubt they will last long. JMM will be able to give you some great advice about clippers...she helped me choose a great pair. I originally wanted to go cordless, too, but when I looked at the cordless options I realized I was paying a lot more for that option and corded clippers will last longer and sometimes perform better. These are what I ended up with and I LOVE them: Andis UltraEdge 2-Speed Clippers

I realize mine are more than double the price of the two you mentioned, but I just wanted to throw that out there. I bought the 2nd ones you listed for my parents who have an old Cocker Spaniel that they try and shave down twice a year -- it barely gets the job done. It's just not powerful enough, really. I don't expect those clippers to last more than a year or two tops. If they were used more like once per month (even for a Maltese), they would probably be dead by now. In my opinion it is worth it to really invest in nice clippers even if it means you have to save a few extra months to get them. Just think about it: If you pay $30 per month to have EACH of your babies groomed, after only 2 months the nicer clippers have already paid for themselves.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brenda
Dog's Name: Jodi

QUOTE (LJSquishy @ Feb 4 2010, 01:39 PM)
Quote:
Out of the two, I would say the 2nd link is the better choice -- but I doubt they will last long. JMM will be able to give you some great advice about clippers...she helped me choose a great pair. I originally wanted to go cordless, too, but when I looked at the cordless options I realized I was paying a lot more for that option and corded clippers will last longer and sometimes perform better. These are what I ended up with and I LOVE them: Andis UltraEdge 2-Speed Clippers

I realize mine are more than double the price of the two you mentioned, but I just wanted to throw that out there. I bought the 2nd ones you listed for my parents who have an old Cocker Spaniel that they try and shave down twice a year -- it barely gets the job done. It's just not powerful enough, really. I don't expect those clippers to last more than a year or two tops. If they were used more like once per month (even for a Maltese), they would probably be dead by now. In my opinion it is worth it to really invest in nice clippers even if it means you have to save a few extra months to get them. Just think about it: If you pay $30 per month to have EACH of your babies groomed, after only 2 months the nicer clippers have already paid for themselves.[/B]

Which (if any) extra blades did you get ? I think there is a finishing blade, are their any must have sizes than just the one that comes with it ?
Thanks, this is good info.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

The two you posted are really cheapo clippers...I wouldn't bother with them.
If you must go cordless, this is the only one I'd recommend is the Wahl Moser Arco. It has an adjustable blade so you are limited by that. You also have to purchase their blade to replace it. I've never seen them for under $100.
I like the idea of cordless clippers, but the reality is corded clippers are much more sturdy and you will never run into battery problems (yes, you will need to replace the battery at some point). I have a pair of Andis corded clippers that are about 10 years old and in perfect condition. I use them all of the time. I've had some corded clippers and run into the battery/charging problems. Just not worth it.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Cat Somerville
Dog's Name: Jilli Bean (Diamond Maltese) Emma (Pet Store), Mimi (Diamond) & Twinkle (Diamond) & Katie (Sheltie)
Send a message via Yahoo to EmmasMommy

I have an Andis ACG that can't be beat but its pricey. ( I do horse clipping with it so it has to be heavy duty. ) I also had to buy the guards separately. make sure you buy Cool lube and oil too.

They make a "pet" clipper with good prices
I'll bet its fine for what you want
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=...IwBA#ps-sellers

Also I have a Pocket pro battery operated tiny one for paw pads any tight spots( under pits/arm pits- I mean leg pits, near anus ,etc.)

It was less than $20 at a PetCo or PetsMart

Cat (short for Catherine)
Emma's Mommy

EmmasMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Mary

I have friends who each have had their clippers for more than 10 years and I got to try them all before deciding what to buy. One has the Oster A2, one has the Andis ACG, and one has the Laube Mini Micro. I went with the Laube just because it felt better in my hand. I think all 3 do a fine job and, if cleaned and oil regularly, they should last for years.

MaryH

If we are to achieve a richer culture, rich in contrasting values, we must recognize the whole gamut of human potentialities, and so weave a less arbitrary social fabric, one in which each diverse human gift will find a fitting place. - Margaret Mead
MaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: London (12/20/07) & Preston (03/25/09)

QUOTE (Maglily @ Feb 4 2010, 09:18 AM)
Quote:
QUOTE (LJSquishy @ Feb 4 2010, 01:39 PM)
Quote:

I realize mine are more than double the price of the two you mentioned, but I just wanted to throw that out there. I bought the 2nd ones you listed for my parents who have an old Cocker Spaniel that they try and shave down twice a year -- it barely gets the job done. It's just not powerful enough, really. I don't expect those clippers to last more than a year or two tops. If they were used more like once per month (even for a Maltese), they would probably be dead by now. In my opinion it is worth it to really invest in nice clippers even if it means you have to save a few extra months to get them. Just think about it: If you pay $30 per month to have EACH of your babies groomed, after only 2 months the nicer clippers have already paid for themselves.[/B]

Which (if any) extra blades did you get ? I think there is a finishing blade, are their any must have sizes than just the one that comes with it ?
Thanks, this is good info.
[/B][/QUOTE]

My clippers came with a #10 blade which I use for the corners of the eyes and around London's tummy (she tends to mat there), and I purchased a #4FC blade to clip their bodies which leaves it 3/8" long. Both London & Preston are in the lamb style cut. My #4FC is the Andis CeramicEdge blade which was a few dollars more but is supposed to be better and I love it! To broaden my collection I would like to have a #30 blade and then get the snap-on combs in case I ever want to modify their haircuts. The clippers I have can take some different brands of blades, but I know Andis blades are high quality so I went with the same brand.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

QUOTE (Maglily @ Feb 4 2010, 12:18 PM)
Quote:
Thanks, this is good info.[/B]
Most clippers come with a #10 blade. I also have a #7F and a #4F. If I use the #10 at all it's on the bellies. I use the #4F on Andy and Grace, scissor their heads, legs, ears and moustaches. Their tails are left long. I use the #7F on Timmy's body, scissor the ears and moustache, scissor trim the feet, and leave the legs, tail and head hair long. The rest are in coat or growing coat. If I were to buy another blade it would be either a #30 or #40 to use with a snap on comb for a long cut in the winter.

MaryH

If we are to achieve a richer culture, rich in contrasting values, we must recognize the whole gamut of human potentialities, and so weave a less arbitrary social fabric, one in which each diverse human gift will find a fitting place. - Margaret Mead
Old 02-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brenda
Dog's Name: Jodi

QUOTE (MaryH @ Feb 4 2010, 09:10 PM)
Quote:
Quote:
Most clippers come with a #10 blade. I also have a #7F and a #4F. If I use the #10 at all it's on the bellies. I use the #4F on Andy and Grace, scissor their heads, legs, ears and moustaches. Their tails are left long. I use the #7F on Timmy's body, scissor the ears and moustache, scissor trim the feet, and leave the legs, tail and head hair long. The rest are in coat or growing coat. If I were to buy another blade it would be either a #30 or #40 to use with a snap on comb for a long cut in the winter.

MaryH
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks Mary.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

QUOTE (Maglily @ Feb 4 2010, 08:04 PM)
Quote:
QUOTE (MaryH @ Feb 4 2010, 09:10 PM)
Quote:
Quote:

MaryH
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks Mary.
[/B][/QUOTE]

I should probably have added that the higher the blade number, the shorter the cut. A #40 blade is generally used by vets for surgical prep, and the "F" at the end of a blade number means "finishing" where the cut is blended better. Another trick if you want to invest in only one blade, cutting against the grain gives a shorter cut by half of what you would get cutting with the grain. So if you have a blade that gives a 1/2" cut going with the grain, say on the body, but want a shorter cut on the belly, when clipping the belly go against the grain and you will get a 1/4" cut. Here's a link to a good reference guide for the different blades:

http://www.petedge.com/library/library.jsp...clipperbladeuse

MaryH

Sponsored Links
Advertisement