Spa Lavish Facial Cleanser - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci
Default Spa Lavish Facial Cleanser

Ok, so every night, I wet Gucci's face and rub some of the spa lavish in. I know it says to wait 3 minutes, but she's not going to go for that, so I rub for about a minute and then rinse. Then I comb it out and dry it.
It doesn't appear to be doing anything and her tear stains have been getting darker. Any advice on this??? Am I doing something wrong???
I know a lot of posts discuss using corn starch, but I'm not sure how to apply that.
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

I haven't used it myself, so sorry I can't speak from experience. But maybe it's because it does take the full three minutes. A man I met at the beach when we got Leila while there had a Maltese and he said his breeder told him to wipe their boy's eyes every night with a cotton ball of saline. He said they've been doing that and have never had a problem with tear stains. His baby is 6 years old. Leila had a little bit of tear stains when I first got her and I've been using the saline too and it's helped. Also, I wipe her hair dry whenever it gets wet. Her eyes do tear at times and it's that reddish brown color. But I wipe it with the saline and run the flea comb through it and it's fine.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I just bought some eye drops for her. Bausch and Lomb RENU. I am going to look into it before I use it to make sure it's safe, but I believe I saw something about using it since it has Boric acid in it.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Anna, although Spa Lavish is a great facewash and I use it everyday, I don't think it would remove tear stains. It's not anything your doing wrong. Gucci is still very young and probably not even really teething yet. Sometimes tear stains are from teething so if I were you before you did anything to her I would wait until she is done teething.
Zoe's Mom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: London (12/20/07) & Preston (03/25/09)

Gucci is teething which is contributing to her tear staining. I know it doesn't look pretty, but almost all Maltese have staining until around 9 months old (sometimes it doesn't go away).

The Spa Lavish really doesn't make the stains go away even though it states it lightens them. I do think it does lighten them a bit, but not much. The biggest key is keeping the eye area as dry as possible. I used to use a piece of a paper towel to blot the hair until it was as dry as I could get it...I would so it several times a day. I quit using the Spa Lavish every day because it does dry the hair out, so I would suggest only washing her face every 2-3 days unless it gets messy from food. A flea comb is perfect for combing the eye area to get all of the goopies out. Her face never dries because of all of the washing plus her tearing.

Just hang in there!
Old 11-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Well, I guess that's my concern. If she's NOT teething yet....why would she have so much staining?? I have her on Blue Buffalo now and I just got some probiotics in the mail today, so I am hoping that MIGHT help, but I wish I could get rid of it.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Sometimes their tear ducts are blocked. Did you ask the vet about it?
Old 11-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: London (12/20/07) & Preston (03/25/09)

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianna82 View Post
Well, I guess that's my concern. If she's NOT teething yet....why would she have so much staining?? I have her on Blue Buffalo now and I just got some probiotics in the mail today, so I am hoping that MIGHT help, but I wish I could get rid of it.
She is teething. Her puppy teeth may still not be fully emerged, and soon her adult teeth will be pushing her puppy teeth out. Teething is a long process, usually not finished until the 7-9 month mark.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSquishy View Post
She is teething. Her puppy teeth may still not be fully emerged, and soon her adult teeth will be pushing her puppy teeth out. Teething is a long process, usually not finished until the 7-9 month mark.
She does chew on things a LOT. She always has to have a toy to chew on, so I thought she was teething. But I wasn't sure.

I really think she has allergies because she scratches a lot but there are NO fleas. I am going to try the eye drops and then maybe I need to switch to the water bottle instead of letting her drink out of the bowl.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Anna, give it time they will lose their teeth up until 9 or 10 months so it may clear up on its own. After you wash her face in morning let it dry and then put a little cornstarch on it....it will keep it dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement