Help Bella is Getting Matted And Hates Brushing - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Shauna
Dog's Name: Bella
Default Help Bella is Getting Matted And Hates Brushing

Bella is 16 weeks old and her hair is already getting matted and she hates being brushed to get the matts out She growls at me and this is not normal she is the sweetest dog ever just hates being brushed. She seems to do okay until we reach a matted area then she growls at me lol. Any one have any advice. Any good conditioners i should be using. I did purchase tropiclean d-mat tangle remover which seems to be okay but not that great. PLEASE HELP.
love2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Have you tried giving her some kind of treat while you're brushing her? That works for Leila. At first, I would give her a Cheerio after brushing her so she would know that something good follows grooming. I also only did a little brushing at a time so she wouldn't have to endure it very long. Now she lets me brush and comb her all over without fussing. Well...that is except for her face at times. But still, she's even better about that now too. I just try to save that part for when she's not as energetic. Sometimes, I give her a Wrapped Rawhide Stick by Dentley's made with real chicken to chew on while I'm brushing her.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Shauna
Dog's Name: Bella

Do you think the rawhide sticks okay for her. She is very small probably under 2 lbs. Last month she was 1 lb 4 oz. If she can have that is chew on it may work. I have an appt scheduled with the groomer tomarrow to trim her down a bit. I deff dont want to shave her. Maybe her underside clean her up around her face.
love2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

I only let Leila have it for a short time when I can watch her with it. I don't want to take a chance that she could chew off a hunk and get choked on it. The trainer in her class gave me one to use one day when she was learning "Take It and Drop It" and she seemed to really like it, so I later bought a bag and save it for special times, like being brushed. So far, no problems. I found it at PetSmart. I never buy anything edible for her from the grocery store or Walmart. These are made with real beef hide and wrapped with real chicken.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Brush her in small time frames. Start with a few seconds and then work your way up. This will get her used to it. I also like the idea of giving a treat and do not forget to praise Bella either. It may not seem like a lot but praise in a dog will go far.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

A good grooming product is Kinky Curly Knot Today sold at Target. Its for humans but works great on a Maltese coat. Give treats and praise while brushing, it helps. Good luck!!
Zoe's Mom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Buy manicure scissors with rounded ends. I will cut the mat out just cut away from her skin. Sometimes this is a lot better than trying to cut it out.
If you use the Kinky Curl use a very small amount and rub the cream into the mat. Do not go overboard or you will have a dirty puppy.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Cindy
Dog's Name: Zoey

I have a Madan brush for Zoey. At first she didnt like it, but then one day she came inside and was really itchy. I used the brush on her and made her legs just shake away. she was so happy i was getting all her itchy spots. All it took was that one day now i bring out her brush and i have to make her lay on her belly cause all she wants to do is have me brush her belly and neck lol.
dragonsdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Rawhides are very dangerous! Please don't give them to your Maltese.
Attached Thumbnails
Help Bella is Getting Matted And Hates Brushing-rawhide.jpg  
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Courtney
Dog's Name: Ozzie (& Lisa @ the bridge)

i only give ozzie rawhides sparingly, and only for an hour at most at a time and always when i am around... am too paranoid about those horror stories!!

CorkieYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement