I don't like this. - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #11 (permalink)

Name: Cindy Miller
Dog's Name: Lacey

Don't worry! I have been grooming for over 20 years and I always let the owner know if a dog is difficult and in what way. There are very few that are very difficult and almost always they are better for the groomer than the owner. We are used to handling small dogs and most of us are huge dog lovers so don't worry, I'm sure she will be handled carefully and she will probably be a very good little dog!
cynthia's is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

I guess I'd wonder if the dog gets better over time? Or if it just becomes a pattern behavior?

I like grooming mine at home because I can help desensitize them and use positive methods to make grooming easier and more tolerated.

Grace would go all ninja on me when ever I did her paws... It's taken about a month of really consistent positive reinforcement. But she is getting so much better with it!

I'd worry about the stress of grooming on HER if no one took the time to do that and a trip to the groomers was always something they were in escape mode with....

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Grace
Dog's Name: Daisy

It's just made me really question my descion like you Tori I've been using positive reinforcement and would worry this would set us back months of progress but I can't get near her ears or her feet and her hair really does need trimmed in these places!! I have chosen my groomer with care as I know a lot of people who go to her all with small dogs.
WeeGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

I didn't care for the first groomers I used. I stayed there every time and saw some things I didn't like. I wanted a groomer that specialized in Maltese type breeds. I went on the internet and looked up groomers near me until I found one with a website with pictures of the dogs she had done and the salon. Boy, what a difference. I found a small doggie spa-salon with owner and one helper doing the washing. I like it so much better. It's geared to small breeds or pedigree dogs only. The first one would have big dogs too, basically any breed. I wanted something more intimate. There are usually many poodle and Maltese type breeds there as well, so they get to play while they are waiting. She treats them like her own. She is very open with everyone. If the dog won't let her do something she will tell you what you need to do at home, and she won't force the issue, rather gradually train them to accept their grooming. It's very important get them used to a daily brushing to avoid painful matting. I also like the fact she has nice chairs and a sofa if the owner wants to stay with their dogs. Good luck.

Last edited by SammieMom; 11-18-2012 at 05:51 PM.
SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

I'm sorry, I am not sure if this is a fist first groom for Pipper. But I discussed that I didn't want the hair between eyes cut down. I've seen this happen to other fluffs on SM. I made sure she would let it grow down over the bridge of the nose. An experienced Maltese groomer will understand this.

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement