Tear Staining....to cut or not to cut the hair near the eyes?????? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 12:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tear Staining....to cut or not to cut the hair near the eyes??????

Ok, so Max is now almost 6 months old....and of course, adorable in every which way!!

He has fairly bad tear stains and I am at my wits end already with them. A month or so ago, I trimmed the hair near his eyes, just at the beginning of his muzzle area. The staining didnt go away, but it got better. However, as the hair is growning back in, its like a little bush of hair actually, his staining is pretty bad. I was thinking of growing the hair out....and go through the uglies, to have it long and lie over his muzzle on the sides. He is getting his first real groom on the 13 of December (mobile groomer is coming) I try and clean his eyes twice a day with a baby wet wipe and the Crystal Clear solution. But its not helping. I took him to Petland last week, after his bath....and a gal who works there says, "....oh he is cute....but he needs his eyes cleaned!!!...." I was mad and embarassed as his coat was soooo clean and pure white....he was brushed beautifully and looked so nice.

I have considered the Angel Eyes....just to clear this up a bit....but I am not so sure after reading some posts. But it does bother me and he is just so beautiful, that a clean white face would be so sweet. He has such a nice coat...very very silky and soft and full. If we could just get this issue under control...it would be great.

Sooooo any advice, thoughts, words of encouragement??? help.
Max&Roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 12:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Mateo and Mia

For my two I use the spa lavish face scrub on their face every other day when they have more draining. But it comes and goes at times, but every day I must wash their eyes with warm wash cloth, then use eye drops and if they have gunky stuff I try and comb it out. Mia has a short muzzle so she seems to drain more and stain more.

If he is just 6 months I think it is about his getting his teeth. I know mine were worse then.

Lots of people have tips on what they do - check the search area for eye staining and you may get some more tips.

Good luck

Mateo & Mia
joyomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

What is Crystal Clear solution?
I would not cut the hair close to the eyes as it pokes the eyes as it grows causing more stain. I do think the shorter the muzzle the more chance of staining for some reason. I notice that w/Lisi & her muzzle is short.
Teething may be your issue now, so you just have to keep the face as clean as you can, and as dry--not easy. It may get better after the adult teeth have emerged.
Lisi's seem to reappear when she is health compromised in some way but I think she was born w/tear-stains from the photos I have.
Hang in there!
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Teething is definately part of his issue and he will teeth for a couple more months. I would buy Spa Lavish face wash for tear stains and use it every morning. It is important to keep the area as dry as possible. After you wash his face and dry it you can put a little corn starch on it to help keep it dry a bit longer.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Have you seen this?

A Veterinary Guide to Tear Stains
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe's Mom88 View Post
Teething is definately part of his issue and he will teeth for a couple more months. I would buy Spa Lavish face wash for tear stains and use it every morning. It is important to keep the area as dry as possible. After you wash his face and dry it you can put a little corn starch on it to help keep it dry a bit longer.
I would suggest "potato flour" instead of cornstarch---learned that at the World Dog Show this yr. but I can't remember the reason!
"Wag more Bark less"
Old 11-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I have started to use Bausch & Lomb's ReNu Multiplus solution to clean Lisi's face w/a little pad on each side 2 x per day to see if this will help. It will only help if it is protein involved & I will see if it is this or a fungus? Time will tell.
"Wag more Bark less"
Old 11-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

All I will say is this: Do NOT cut the hair by his eyes! And make sure the groomers know that they are not to cut it under any circumstances, either. Have it written down in his file... WATCH them write it down! And repeat it as you are leaving: Do NOT cut any hair by his eyes!

I trimmed Grace's and it is now a nightmare while she is growing it out. Once it is grown out, it is easier to manage and won't poke them in the eyes like Sandi said... But if you cut it, it is a constant fight and you are constantly trimming that hair because the second it starts growing it starts the battle all over again!

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace'sMom View Post
All I will say is this: Do NOT cut the hair by his eyes! And make sure the groomers know that they are not to cut it under any circumstances, either. Have it written down in his file... WATCH them write it down! And repeat it as you are leaving: Do NOT cut any hair by his eyes!

I trimmed Grace's and it is now a nightmare while she is growing it out. Once it is grown out, it is easier to manage and won't poke them in the eyes like Sandi said... But if you cut it, it is a constant fight and you are constantly trimming that hair because the second it starts growing it starts the battle all over again!

Totally agree with T! The more you cut it, the more you have to keep cutting it. If you let the hair just grow out and either brush it upward or let it hang down the sides of the muzzle, it will prevent the hair from getting into the eyes. The shorter hair gets into the eyes more and causes more tearing. Be patient
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Breeders should send a tag home on their puppies: Do not trim eye hair!

LOL... Seriously

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement