How do you keep your little fluff still? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: Isabella Anne
Heart How do you keep your little fluff still?

Isabella is 13 1/2 weeks old. I groom her everyday and have bathed her once since she got home with us. She is fairly good when it comes to brushing and combing in general. I often brush her when we are together on the sofa in a very casual way as well; a time of bonding. She doesn't make a fuss. However, when I try to clean her face or groom in the genital area, it is a massive big fight. I don't want her to dread grooming but I don't want her to think that she can put up a fight and win. As well, if I am unable to properly groom these areas, I am going to have a matted mess to deal with. I would really appreciate some advice as to what other people have found helpful. Thank you.
Isabella's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Kelly
Dog's Name: Magnolise Avec Bravissimo

I'm very interested in the tips that may be posted on this!!

Bravo is a wiggle-worm when I'm grooming him....he tries to play with the brush/comb, doesn't want to stand...or if he's standing, then he doesn't want to sit.

*sigh*

I actually have a Papillon puppy...but I joined this message board to get great grooming, nutritional, general toy-breed tips......and all the great people!!
Avec Bravissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

Gustave does not make face grooming easy, but he's getting better about it. I basically just kept at it no matter how much he protested and then gave him treats when I was done. I think that helped. Now he kinda rests his chin on my thigh and just closes his eyes as I comb his face.

So my advice would be to stay gentle but firm. Give lots of treats, talk in happy voices and she'll get used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Ah, Sylvia-Isabella is so cute!!! I know they do calm down. Doesn't really help you now. If your search through the groom forum I believe there are other threads on this subject. I'm not much help - just wanted to say how cute Isabella is. Love her photo.....lol.
xxxx

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Persistence and patience!! It will get better, mine actually enjoy it, and get excited when it!s time to comb, brush , face wash, and top knot put in. If someone would of told me that, when Laurel was 13 weeks old, I would never believe it! She likes it the best!!!

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
TLR
Maltese Guru

Name: Tracey
Dog's Name: Ben

They get use to it with time and patience. The one big mistake I made with Ben is not training him to roll over on his back for grooming and he will not do that for me. He had a bad experience when he was a puppy at the vets office. They held him down to check his undescended tesicle and he has never allowed that again. He will let me brush underneath if I hold him but won't do it on the grooming table. I would definitely work on the roll over now.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

This is not easy and there is no magic cure. You must do this everyday and not only brush but use a buttercomb to get through all the fur, otherwise you will think your getting all the hair brushed but not really. Perisistence and constant praising will help get you through this ordeal. Use Cheerios has a treat to keep busy while you groom. It's difficult initially but in time it will get much easier for you both.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks to everyone for your words of wisdom. To Tracey: Isabella doesn't mind being on her back in my lap. I hold her like this in the morning so I can rub her belly. Like I said, she is so good when I brush and comb her everywhere except the face and "pee pee" area. I might try doing the main grooming in one sitting and then waiting until she is very calm to do the areas that are causing her anxiety. I emailed our breeder and she was able to give me some great pointers as well. She is so willing to help in anyway she can. I love that I have so many experienced Malt owners to help me. Sylvia

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/memb...meets-snow.jpg
Old 12-12-2012, 01:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all of your words of wisdom. I emailed my groomer and she was able to give me some pointers as well. It is wonderful to have so many experienced people to make this journey easier.
http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/memb...meets-snow.jpg
Old 12-12-2012, 03:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Vinh & Ann
Dog's Name: Biscuit (waiting for Mommy and Daddy @Rainbow Bridge) & lil Pork Chop
Send a message via AIM to vinhle68 Send a message via Yahoo to vinhle68

OMG Sylvia! Isabella is adorable! I'm a newbie Maltese owner as well and my wife does all the grooming for our boy Biscuit. He hates it and runs everytime he sees her holding up a comb or clipper. lmao! I think the best advises I've seen so far is keep trying and have patience!

(Lil Biscuit @rainbow bridge, Lil Pork Chop 16weeks old)

Vinh & Ann
San Jose, California
vinhle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement