Close up pics, how short/long do you keep eyelashes? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 02:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nora
Dog's Name: Cici
Send a message via Yahoo to BellaNotte
Default Close up pics, how short/long do you keep eyelashes?

I'm thinking about having Cici's eyelashes trimmed, but I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do.

Does trimming the eyelashes make it easier for dogs to get stuff in their eyes?

Do you have a close up picture of your fluff's eyes that maybe you could share? So I can see exactly how it was cut and what length. Or if your fluff has long eye lashes, I would like to see if they also "hang down" like Cici's.

Her eyelashes were super long and I trimmed them a tiny bit, I'm worried about trimming them further, but sometimes they hang down in front of her eyes, and I notice how other fluffs with the hair around the eyes and eyelashes that are trimmed makes their eyes look "bigger", or just the area around the eyes has a much cleaner look.

She started getting tear stains, but we're slowly getting better with that after taking the advice of other members, and as it is I'm always finding little dust or loose hairs in her eyes and I think it makes her tear, do I wouldn't want her not having eyelashes to make it worse.

Any comments, advice, suggestions?

I'll upload a close up picture of how her eyes look right now tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Old 12-19-2012, 02:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

Obi's lashes just keep growing and growing and growing unless I trim them. I trim them short-- like "human length" equivalent in appearance. If they get too long, it makes his eyelids droop. I know some malt mamas don't trim them and keep them long. I can't really comment on the topknot since Obi doesn't have one anymore. His lashes were trimmed short when he came to us with the rest of the hair in a topknot- that part I remember.

I don't trim them very often but only when I notice his eyes appearing smaller- LOL! I haven't noticed any difference in tearing with either length.
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: April
Dog's Name: Rose, Lily, & Eva

I always trim the lashes as short as possible...they can get really long and get caught in the eye itself, or get caught in the topknot...most Malts will get hair and dust in their eyes because of their size and shape. I irrigate my Malts' eyes with Bausch & Lomb eyewash every day when I groom them..I have found that keeping hair and other irritants out of the eyes prevents tearing and staining provided there is nothing else contributing to it..( e.g. infection, ingrown lashes, etc..)
Old 12-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

I didn't know you could trim them until today. But now that I do, I trimmed them pretty short(like human lash proportion) and his eyes do look bigger!

(Sorry about the gunk above his eye. It's either scab or surgical glue)Close up pics, how short/long do you keep eyelashes?-imageuploadedbypg-free1355943794.907736.jpg

eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

I don't trim Gus or Grace's until they are long... then I will take a small bit off the top.

Gus's eyelashes are red... I love them, and it's something a lot of people compliment him on.

But I also worry trimming them short will cause problems - eye infections, ingrown hairs, etc... So I keep them long. I think animals are supposed to have longer lashes. Helps keep the dust out. Look at an elephant's lashes!

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Cookie and Steve
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese

I trim the eyelashes, esp. if I am showing the dog. It does open up the eye

This is Cookie, who Marina is showing right now. She is 6 mos old.

And this is Lois.

Whenever I give a haircut, i just automatically do the eye lashes too although I only go super short if they are being shown.

bellaratamaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Lynn
Dog's Name: Lacie,Tilly,Secret(Ch Angels Top Secret of Khanthav) & Breeze(Ch Angels Heavenly Breeze of Linmont)
Send a message via AIM to Lacie's Mom

When I don't trim the eyelashes, they always end up in the topknot (because the lashes are long) and then the fluffs rub and rub to get the eyelashes out of the bands. So I try to remember to trim when I do them.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacie's Mom View Post
When I don't trim the eyelashes, they always end up in the topknot (because the lashes are long) and then the fluffs rub and rub to get the eyelashes out of the bands. So I try to remember to trim when I do them.
Today was the first time Gustave didn't rub his head on the floor after topknot tying. I feel horrible thinking all this time he was perhaps only trying to get his lashes out of the knot.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nora
Dog's Name: Cici
Send a message via Yahoo to BellaNotte

I feel silly asking this but, are the eyelashes just the thin layer right on the edge of the eyelid right? They just get lost in her topknot hair and I feel like I don't know if I trimmed all of them. But I did it today (yay!), and Cici didn't rub on her top knot today, but I don't know if it was because she had a busy day from her best friend visiting, so we'll see how tomorrow goes .

Old 12-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Yes, for Gustave his eye lashes have a very different texture from the rest of his hair. And they curl up(even when 2 inches long) as opposed to falling down like his hair.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement