So very worried - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kaylla
Dog's Name: Khloee
Unhappy So very worried

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this...but I've been worrying about this for a good week now so am hoping someone on here can weigh in and maybe give me piece of mind

A week ago I cut a bit of Khloee's hair near her eyes because if was constantly poking her. She looked so cute, and her eye was clear so she could see! Yay! But then I realized that she has some thin hair on the bridge of her nose. There IS hair there, but it is super thin. When its wet like in the pictures (she just drank), you can see her skin.

Is this normal? Will the hair there get thicker as she grows older? She is only 12 weeks...

Like in these pictures, sometimes the area is moist so you can see her skin, but I think its from her drinking vs anything else. The skin is not irritated either. It doesnt seem healthy threatening so I am going to wait until we have our appointment on the 4th to ask the vet. But in the meantime I am worried.

Any advice or experience with this kind of thing? Please please please
Attached Thumbnails
So very worried-pic-1.jpg   So very worried-pic-2.jpg  
Gongjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pat
Dog's Name: Sassy
Send a message via Yahoo to sassy's mommy

It looks like she is tearing, probably due to teething. Just try to keep her face as dry as possible and try not to worry.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

I'm glad Pat said something because I couldn't, for the life of me, find anything wrong! I think she is dead on, it's tearing. Tucker's has been especially bad because of his teething, sometimes to the point that his skin gets irritated. I find that if I wash every couple of days (I use spa lavish, and cotton balls/wash cloths) that not only does it reduce any stains he might be developing but it gives the hair a chance to dry out for a day or two before we have to repeat.

This has been normal for me with my boys.

Her tearing looks VERY mild (and may have been causes by those hairs you cut) so I'm not sure you'll need to wash that often, if at all-but once she starts teething if it increases you may want to consider it.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

Seems like tearing to me too. !! I wouldn't worry.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisol
Dog's Name: Kelly, Kimmy & Khloe

I noticed this on Kelly today too!! Does it mean it might potentially stain the hair??

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Fluffdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nora
Dog's Name: Cici
Send a message via Yahoo to BellaNotte

Are you talking about what looks like a slight bald spot on the nose bridge? I think that's normal for that age. I don't remember perfectly, but I believe Cici looked just like that when she was younger. She still does when her face gets wet, it looks like she doesn't have hair in that area. It's the same if your parted the hair on any other area and got it a little moist, it would look like there's a bald line.

And like everyone suggested about the tearing, also make sure keep the face clean by washing it. Cici began to get tear stains and I let her go a few days in between baths without washing that area and it's too difficult to brighten up the tear stains now. But if you keep washing that area then I think it wouldn't give time for the staining to set in on the hair. Not completely sure, just something I notice on Cici, I can't go a day without washing her face or else I have to cut the stained hair because it can't be brightened up anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

It is perfectly normal. She is very young and her hair will change. She is adorable.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU EVERYONE! My mind is much more at ease, after reading the responses I'm all smiles. I was so afraid that she had something...note to self, doing a search on the internet will make me a hypochondriac!!! I'll take tear stains over something serious any day! I actually ordered that Spa Lavish that Shelly mentioned and it came today Guess who's getting a facial <3 Thank you again, goodness I love this site!
Old 12-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Leila did the same thing with the skin showing after I took her to the groomer and they cut the hair on her face away from her eyes. It looked almost as if she were going bald there. I didn't really like that look and it's finally growing back out now. I want to be able to pull all her hair up into a top knot and quit worrying with having to keep cutting it to keep it out of her eyes.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Hi again everyone! So I tried the Spa Lavish on Khloee and you were all right As soon as she was dried, you couldn't see the spot anymore, so I definitely think it was tear stains. Thank goodness! Now I just have to get her and myself used to the facials and baths period lol! She hatesssss them , and I'm always paranoid I'll get water in her ear; cotton balls just fall right out! Thanks again from a clean Khloee and I!
Attached Thumbnails
So very worried-pic-3.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement