The side effects of Angels Glow/unable to decide! - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bow

Dog's Name: Bow
Default The side effects of Angels Glow/unable to decide!

Hi everyone! I thought I'd start a new thread about something that really confuses me - the negative side effects of Angels Glow. I've got the idea that in this forum it's pretty much either yes or no when it comes to using it, and it brings up some fairly strong opinions.

I already once decided not to try it, but after having a chat with different people who give it to their dogs, I started thinking this again - I haven't heard any negative side effects, and would now actually like to hear about your experiences, either good or bad ones.
I would like to base my decision on experiences and not just something people assume COULD happen

I understand this is probably a subject of many opinions, but by all means my intensions are not to be nasty or anything, I'd just like to hear different experiences from people who know more about this stuff...

Thank you x

Old 12-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

How old is you fluff that you want to use it on.....I know most people here do not use it. Some do use something from Bausch and Lomb that is an eye wash. If your furbaby is young it could be a teething thing and I wouldn't use it in that case. Not sure how old your fluff is though.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe's Mom88 View Post
How old is you fluff that you want to use it on.....I know most people here do not use it. Some do use something from Bausch and Lomb that is an eye wash. If your furbaby is young it could be a teething thing and I wouldn't use it in that case. Not sure how old your fluff is though.
She is approx 2 years old so definitely not teething
Old 12-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

I think it is a question that has no definitive answer. Some people have had great results. Others have had good results, but it got worse when they quit. And for dogs' who's stains are not contributed to by bacteria, it was of no help at all.
Personally, I don't think it is terribly harmful. I used angel eyes, and the tear stains stopped. But after I stopped using it they came back even worse. Why don't you try all the other things first 1. no corn or wheat 2. Filtered water out of a stainless steel, porcelain or glass bowl. 3. Meticulous cleaning of the face at least every day, maybe twice a day. 4. a dry face water bowl.

Most important, you need to be aware that nothing is going to remove the stains, maybe diminish the staining...you have to wait for it to grow out.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

DIdn't know she was two years old. I think the most important thing is to determine why she has them. It may be due to blocked tear ducts and if you know the cause it can be treated appropriately. Did you have a vet look at her eyes. Long term use of antibiotics isn't good. I can understand you want to get rid of them but finding the cause it key.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylie View Post
I think it is a question that has no definitive answer. Some people have had great results. Others have had good results, but it got worse when they quit. And for dogs' who's stains are not contributed to by bacteria, it was of no help at all.
Personally, I don't think it is terribly harmful. I used angel eyes, and the tear stains stopped. But after I stopped using it they came back even worse. Why don't you try all the other things first 1. no corn or wheat 2. Filtered water out of a stainless steel, porcelain or glass bowl. 3. Meticulous cleaning of the face at least every day, maybe twice a day. 4. a dry face water bowl.

Most important, you need to be aware that nothing is going to remove the stains, maybe diminish the staining...you have to wait for it to grow out.

Hiya Thanks for your post, it's good to know that the staining got worse after stopping, it's definitely something that's worth considering! Bow doesn't eat any wheat products, basically her diet is hypoallergenic and only treats she gets are bits of boiled/raw chicken or turkey, so that should be all good.
Just out of curiosity, what's with the filtered water, what is the actual reason it helps/might help with the tear staining?
Cleaning the face twice a day is really not an option, at the moment I wipe the face every evening gently with a warm cloth. I'm still a bit unsure about the shampoo or face wash, as I don't want to use anything that is not mild enough! Any suggestions? Living in UK is also making it a bit awkward to get stuff that people suggest in this forum as most of the people are from the US

I know already that I can't get rid of the stains that are already there, and I'm not planning on bleaching or dying them, I'll just slowly let them grow out.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I use an eyewash to clean my dog's eyes and let it drop on the hair and wipe it clean and comb out any debris. Part of tear staining is due to bacteria. I use an eyewash with boric acid that kills bacteria and is safe for the eyes. Sometimes the chemical or mineral content of tap water can contribute to tear stains...especially iron. If your tap water has high minerals that can cause the stains. There is no single cure, because there is no single cause. That is why it is a never ending battle.

Have you read this excellent post on the subject?

Here it is:A Veterinary Guide to Tear Stains
Old 12-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe's Mom88 View Post
DIdn't know she was two years old. I think the most important thing is to determine why she has them. It may be due to blocked tear ducts and if you know the cause it can be treated appropriately. Did you have a vet look at her eyes. Long term use of antibiotics isn't good. I can understand you want to get rid of them but finding the cause it key.

I haven't had her for too long (a rescue), and I got them checked by a vet, and they are fine. I also keep checking them daily to make sure there are no eyelashes or other bits irritating the eyes.
Well said about finding the cause, though there is no way I'm trying to hide or ignore a health problem with Angels glow, to be honest I don't think there even is anything wrong with her eyes or diet. The staining isn't bad, more like normal tears but I still want to get rid of it...

Sigh, I'm probably making this much more difficult than it really is
Old 12-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

[QUOTE=Sweetypie;2099171]I haven't had her for too long (a rescue), and I got them checked by a vet, and they are fine. I also keep checking them daily to make sure there are no eyelashes or other bits irritating the eyes.
Well said about finding the cause, though there is no way I'm trying to hide or ignore a health problem with Angels glow, to be honest I don't think there even is anything wrong with her eyes or diet. The staining isn't bad, more like normal tears but I still want to get rid of it...

Do you have a pic of her eyes...just would like to see. I know how annoying it can be to see it everyday. It should be washed daily and dried....if not yeast forms and that is when it turns a reddish color.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

You aren't alone. I say that tear stains are normal, but excessive tear stains are something to be concerned about. All the same I am crazy that MiMi's face should be perfectly white. Join the club.
Advertisement