Eye drops for tear stains???? might be working? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Eye drops for tear stains???? might be working?

Hey everyone.

So, I have been battling the never ending saga with tear stains with my baby boy Max. He is almost 7 months old and still teething to some degree. His staining was peaking about 2 months ago for sure....and it was pretty bad. I have tried a lot of cleaning with different topical stuff. I have NOT used Angel Eyes, because he is young and I am still on the fence about it. I groom him a lot and nothing seemed to work. His tearing does seem to be getting a tad better lately, but I read on here about using eye drops that contained boric acid in them. So, I bought them a week ago, and have used them a few times with a cotton pad to clean the tearing and then I wipe it on his previous stains that are growing out....i cant believe it....but it seems to be "lightening" the stains.....could this be working???? any thoughts or comments or suggestions about this???
Max&Roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

I have heard people use it with good results. Max is young and teething so I would attribute the tear steins to that. You could also use Spa Lavish face wash which is very good. Once a day wash the area but try to keep his face dry.....it really helps because when it's wet yeast builds and that is what causes the reddish stains.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

I use the saline solution and can tell that it does work. Lelia was just spayed Thursday and I haven't used it since the day before because I didn't know if she would fight me against it and have been trying to keep her calm. But I plan to use it again tomorrow. She's got a little bit of the brown stuff right now that isn't bad, so I'm hoping to get rid of it with the saline. I use Spa Lavish, but not near her eyes because I've heard it could hurt. I think it's great for cleaning around her mouth & the hair under her mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

thanks ladies. i had read a few posts about boric acid in the eye drops and helping with the yeast etc that can stain the fur, as well as lightening the existing stains. just wondering how many people have tried it and if it worked for them or not. seems a bit drying on his fur though.
Max&Roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement