Flat Ironing.. - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: April
Dog's Name: Rose, Lily, & Eva
Default Flat Ironing..

I did a search on this topic and was not able to find the info I was looking for.. how does one flat iron the Maltese coat, and what are the benefits other than straightening the hair? I also need to know if there is a certain kind of flat iron that I should use..thanks so much...

Old 01-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

I saw someone flat ironing their malt in a grooming video on Youtube. Other than straightening, I see no benefits since it can dry out hair.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

April, the only real benefit is to straighten the hair & make it lie flat. I bought one which I have never used--it is pretty small & handy withOUT a cord. I got one w/ceramic plates to help protect the hair. Again I have never used it. It is mostly a show tool, which I ended up not going that route!
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Glenda
Dog's Name: Madison, Axel and Paxton
Send a message via AIM to Madison's Mom

When Madison's hair was longer, I used my Chi on her. (If I don't flat iron my hair, it goes CRAZY!). I also used the iron guard products I use, too. She looked good, but it isn't something I'd want to do everyday.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Reva
Dog's Name: Bogie, CGC, BN and Cassie,CGCA, BN
Send a message via Yahoo to revakb2

I have flat ironed Cassie's hair on occasion. Since her hair is very straight, it only made her hair lie a little flatter. It really helps if you have a dog with a very puffy coat. It will make the hair lie smoother and straighter. It is drying so I wouldn't do it very often. I think almost all of the Malts that are shown are flat ironed. It makes the coat neater and more polished looking.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: April
Dog's Name: Rose, Lily, & Eva

Eva's coat is very puffy...and when I cut the length, it just gets puffier..I use the Spectrum Ten and the Moisturizing Tresseme on her...her coat is just so thick...I was wondering if flat ironing would do any good in making her coat lie flatter, or should I try something else? I do not want to do anything to damage or dry out her coat...
Old 01-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

I tried it once. I was very worried about burning that very fine hair. There is a video from Pure Paws showing the technique. I don't think it is worth the trouble and the risk of damaging the hair.

MiMis hair is very thick hair and does wave. Right after a bath it is extremely fluffy and feels just wonderful. However, it flies everywhere and gets tangled very fast. I have used PP Silk and other products after her bath to try to calm it down. Nothing really helped much at all. Last week I bought some coconut oil...that did the trick. Her hair became smother and silkier instantly. Very easy to brush too.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Sylie, how did you use the coconut oil?
Oil tends to hold dust and they need to be bathed sooner. Kitzi has that puffy coat at the moment---partly from our heating but also from so much anesthesia in the last year. When his coat is longer it isn't puffy, but he hates grooming! My groomer said "he looks like an umbrella." That is partially because some of his hair is long & his 2 back legs were shaved down to the skin for his last OP in late Oct. I am trying to grow them out before cutting down to even out! He looks ok from the front but rather comical from the side or back!
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
Sylie, how did you use the coconut oil?
Oil tends to hold dust and they need to be bathed sooner. Kitzi has that puffy coat at the moment---partly from our heating but also from so much anesthesia in the last year. When his coat is longer it isn't puffy, but he hates grooming! My groomer said "he looks like an umbrella." That is partially because some of his hair is long & his 2 back legs were shaved down to the skin for his last OP in late Oct. I am trying to grow them out before cutting down to even out! He looks ok from the front but rather comical from the side or back!
I used the coconut oil the way you would use PP Silk cream... about a half teaspoon rubbed into my hands then through her coat, then brushing. Yes, it will leave a residue, but I only used it once, not daily. Many products I have used worked great at first, but just didn't work after a short while. So, the jury is out on the coconut oil applied topically. It is also supposed to be good for dogs to eat a small amount everyday. It is worth a try.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Cookie and Steve
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese

If you have a lot of matting, flat ironing can help prevent those mats. Marina's jrs dog Lucy has been in full coat for 5 years and has been flat ironed at least 2x a week for those 5 years and there is no significant damage from it. She has a very poofy coat if it's not flat ironed but with ironing, it lays down nicely.

Pretty much any flat iron will do with ceramic plates. I personally like using the 1" iron but I know some exhibitors use the 1.5". I can make you a quick video of how I flat iron, the 'quick' way, LOL. Otherwise, I do it in layers. I usually put Garnier Fructis smoothing milk (or something similar) on the coat before I flat iron to protect it a bit more.

bellaratamaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement