home grooming questions - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Cookie and Steve
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese

If you think about it - shelling out the money for a good pair of clippers will pay for itself in just a few grooming jobs. I'm like Cindy - I can't NOT chicken leg them so i just leave the leg hair long and use a 4f or 5f blade on the body (no comb) and scissor the feet and face like I want. Definitely nowhere near good at it but I can get them looking passable :P

So go for the clippers!

bellaratamaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

I'd say definitely get a GOOD set... Go to a grooming supply store if you have one near you.

Right now we use a fair one... But saving up for a really good clipper and set of blades.

You also need a good pair of grooming scissors (we use a regular hair sheer and one with "teeth")....

But like Stacy said - the money you spend on grooming, you can buy a great set of clippers and they easily pay for themselves in a few months.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

Thanks guys, I talked with DH about it today and he is supportive of me getting a nice set, I am thinking of getting it from petedge, though, it will have to wait a month or two. We have also decided I can get a nice set of shears, there is one from pet edge I really like for around $100.

I groomed Tucker today with what I have, not only did it take for ever but we had to keep stopping to clean out the clippers and after a while to let them cool down. There was quite a bit I ended up having to cut with shears, but we got the job done. I'll be glad when we can get the other things to make it easier

I will shop around in the meantime and check out amazon too.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

To cheat on the legs I "rough" them out with a snap on comb and 30 or 40 blade. Then I scissor them up. It gets the bulk of the hair off before you start scissoring.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm View Post
To cheat on the legs I "rough" them out with a snap on comb and 30 or 40 blade. Then I scissor them up. It gets the bulk of the hair off before you start scissoring.
I learned that great trick from you years ago and it really helped with Lady's puppy cut!

To the OP, I bought Oster A5 clippers from PetEdge more than ten years ago and it was a great investment. They came with a #10 blade and I added a #40 (for under the combs) and a 4F.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

Shelley, I have the Wahl Bravura cordless clipper with 4-in-1 blade. When I got it from Pet Edge, they also offered the stainless steel comb set for free as a gift. I HIGHLY recommend getting a metal comb set no matter what type of clippers you get. They work great!
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Cindy
Dog's Name: Lilly and Daisy
Send a message via Yahoo to cyndrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbeme View Post
Cindy, wow I did not realize that on doggie clippers it was a matter of the blade that sure clears up a lot for me :-) other than the ones you listed do you have any other suggestions for lengths to have on hand?

I welcome any further feedback as well! :-)
These are the only ones I have and there is a a short one that came with the clippers I used on the underside.

I also have a smaller clipper that I use on the hairs on the bottom of their feet.
I am in no way an expert I have just learnt from ALL of my mistakes.

All the horror stories I have heard there was never a thought of taking them anywhere for grooming.

OK OK
I have to admit I take them to the Vet for nail trims. I feel guilt I don't do them myself but they act like I am breaking their legs when I do it.

cyndrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

I think DH might actually order this for me for valentines day, I can't be too sure but, who else but one of us would be excited about the thought! Ha!
Old 01-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Leanne
Dog's Name: Maya, Symon & Seren-its Oh Sweet William

Shelly, I too have begun the grooming adventure. I have been grooming Maya at home since she came into our world last May as a rescue. I had zero past grooming experience to go on. We started by having to shave her down due to mats. Keep in mind I am grooming both a shih-tzu mix and a maltese so I try to find tools that will do double duty and be the most economical.....tools can be so expensive. That being said I have also found out that cheaper has not been better for me. I have had to toss many sub-par tools that just did not pass the muster. Sorry if this gets long....I have discovered a lot of things in the last months

I purchased the Andis Ultra edge from pet edge. It comes with a 10 blade and they will send you a 7 blade as a bonus right now. It is a 2 speed clipper which is great for clipping the belly/hygiene bottom areas at a lower speed.

For belly/hygiene I use the 10 blade slow speed (very close clip) and a 10 for the bottom paws at high speed.

For under the rib/underarm area I use the 7 blade. It keeps this hair manageable in the areas that Maya is prone to matting. This blends nicely into the belly area.

I also purchased (2) 4 blades for a longer cut on my shih-tzu. I got 2 blades because no matter what type of oil you use the clipper blade will become to hot to use. After 5 minutes or by section I trade out to the cool blade. I may try this blade on Maya come summer if it gets to hot for her. I also use the andis cool blade spray that helps to keep them lubricated and disinfected between uses. BTW I am using the clipper weekly for maintenance on paws and belly's and full grooms about 3-6 weeks depending on coat growth.

The rest of Maya's coat I am scissor cutting because we are trying to grow her coat out which is now about 4 inches long. Pet edge also has some nice shear sets by master groomer. I found them to be the most economical and have held up well with weekly use. Many expensive shears can cost $ 70 on up to $100s a piece. I think that if you keep them maintained/sharpened the master grooming series is a very good value.

The scissors that I find I use the most are the short thinning/blending shears, a short 5 inch curved/blunt shear and the short 6 inch straight/blunt shear. My set came with the 8 inch shear that I do not use much, but may come in handy to get a straight line when the coat is long. These have worked well with both dogs and styles. The curved shears work very well if you are to maintain a rounded face.

Sorry this has gone so long but I hope it helps you make your decisions. We are all a work in progress in this house but with time I have been improving with my skills every week along with the dogs sincere patience with me!

Leanne

Last edited by Leanne; 01-13-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Leanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #20 (permalink)

Name: Judy
Dog's Name: Tater tot

I purchased the Wahl Bravura cordless clipper with 4-in-1 blade. When I got it from Pet Edge, it came with the stainless steel comb set for free. I have had horrible experiences with groomers since I adopted my little Tater Tot...he is never matted and they shaved him like a poodle and told me it was because he was matted. I am not really good at grooming but I try to keep him touched up and I have had better luck with Pet Smart than private groomers and I stay and watch. Good Luck, I did order the grooming videos recommended here on the forum...also, I watch a lot of you tube grooming videos.
hempsteadjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement