home grooming questions - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #21 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne View Post
Shelly, I too have begun the grooming adventure. I have been grooming Maya at home since she came into our world last May as a rescue. I had zero past grooming experience to go on. We started by having to shave her down due to mats. Keep in mind I am grooming both a shih-tzu mix and a maltese so I try to find tools that will do double duty and be the most economical.....tools can be so expensive. That being said I have also found out that cheaper has not been better for me. I have had to toss many sub-par tools that just did not pass the muster. Sorry if this gets long....I have discovered a lot of things in the last months

I purchased the Andis Ultra edge from pet edge. It comes with a 10 blade and they will send you a 7 blade as a bonus right now. It is a 2 speed clipper which is great for clipping the belly/hygiene bottom areas at a lower speed.

For belly/hygiene I use the 10 blade slow speed (very close clip) and a 10 for the bottom paws at high speed.

For under the rib/underarm area I use the 7 blade. It keeps this hair manageable in the areas that Maya is prone to matting. This blends nicely into the belly area.

I also purchased (2) 4 blades for a longer cut on my shih-tzu. I got 2 blades because no matter what type of oil you use the clipper blade will become to hot to use. After 5 minutes or by section I trade out to the cool blade. I may try this blade on Maya come summer if it gets to hot for her. I also use the andis cool blade spray that helps to keep them lubricated and disinfected between uses. BTW I am using the clipper weekly for maintenance on paws and belly's and full grooms about 3-6 weeks depending on coat growth.

The rest of Maya's coat I am scissor cutting because we are trying to grow her coat out which is now about 4 inches long. Pet edge also has some nice shear sets by master groomer. I found them to be the most economical and have held up well with weekly use. Many expensive shears can cost $ 70 on up to $100s a piece. I think that if you keep them maintained/sharpened the master grooming series is a very good value.

The scissors that I find I use the most are the short thinning/blending shears, a short 5 inch curved/blunt shear and the short 6 inch straight/blunt shear. My set came with the 8 inch shear that I do not use much, but may come in handy to get a straight line when the coat is long. These have worked well with both dogs and styles. The curved shears work very well if you are to maintain a rounded face.

Sorry this has gone so long but I hope it helps you make your decisions. We are all a work in progress in this house but with time I have been improving with my skills every week along with the dogs sincere patience with me!
This is very very helpful, I was wondering what was best for their little bellies and paws and under arms! My boys get mats under their little arms too.

And JMM thanks too for the tips about the legs that will also help.

Lots of great info in this thread everyone, thanks again!

Old 01-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #22 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janene
Dog's Name: Babinka (06/09/14 Rainbow Bridge) Peppino and Tiny Tina

I use a dematting comb a small pair of scissors and a tooth brush :-)
maltese manica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

Well, we ordered one!

AGC 2-Speed Professional Clipper

A bit earlier then I planned but still. I also ordered a little whal trimmer for face and feets. I'm hoping it will be handy around the belly area too. And, well a bottle of sugar cookie cologne... I got it from Jeffers pet instead of pet edge because Jeffers had the small trimmer I wanted. Next on my list is a decent set of shears!

We like to take the boys out in the woods and all over in the warmer months so we have decided that durring those months they are going to have to run around with twiggy legs. The last time we tried to go hiking, they kept stopping and sitting down every few steps because of burrs and leaves catching in their leg hair.

Last edited by shellbeme; 01-20-2013 at 04:36 PM.
shellbeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement