home grooming questions - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean
Default home grooming questions

I was cosidering starting to take the boys to a groomer until I read some horror stories about the treatment of dogs at the groomers. Dh and I have decided that I should keep doing it. The clippers I have been using are some cheapish human ones that are kinda a pain to use and I have been eyeing a pair of andis two speed "professional clippers" for close to two years now.....I will be darned if the price has not budged.

They are around 150 and I wonder, has anyone purchased a high priced clippers like these? Do they come with combs? (I sure hope so).

How do you all go about clipping the belly and the legs? The boys have long hair on their legs but are starting to mat even with daily brushing. Using the clippers on those little legs doesnt really work and shears leave it choppy plus it takes for ever, there has to be something I am missing.

Last edited by shellbeme; 01-12-2013 at 10:02 AM.
shellbeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Cindy
Dog's Name: Lilly and Daisy
Send a message via Yahoo to cyndrae

I have the model: AGC2 and love it. I believe it came with one blade (combs). They are metal instead of the plastic cover comb. I could not believe the difference from the cheaper ones. I bought the 3/4" HT/19mm and the 5/8" HT/16mm. I really did not want to cut too close so I got the 3/4" but now that I have been doing it for awhile I use the 5/8" in on the body.

I have never been able to cut the legs without having "chicken" legs so I let the hair grow to the ground. As far as choppy.....I have some thinning scissors that helps.

I am no way an expert but with time I have figured out how to not make them look too funny.....except I just cut Daisy's ears and got them uneven. She looked funny for a couple of weeks while it grew out a bit but have finally evened them up a bit.

I figure it this way.....don't cut too much and hair always grows back!!

Good luck and would love to see pictures.

cyndrae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

These are some questions I'd like to see the answers to too. I've taken Leila to the groomers a few times and the two times it was for cuts, they cut where I specifically asked them not to (face) and it was the only request I'd made. Then after reading on here that some groomers give something to make them relax, I'm really concerned about taking her. No wonder they want you to drop them off early and pick them up hours later.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

Cindy, wow I did not realize that on doggie clippers it was a matter of the blade that sure clears up a lot for me :-) other than the ones you listed do you have any other suggestions for lengths to have on hand?

And Pam, dh and I recently read a story about a groomer hitting a dog on the head with a brush for moving too much, it would just send me into a fury to find out something like that happened. Tucker has a tendency to bark when crated, if there is anyone around, so I know he would be super aggrivating in a doggie salon, he has this high pitched yap.

I welcome any further feedback as well! :-)
Old 01-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Shelly, I don't have any advice on grooming as I do need it myself. I feel like you about groomers so I don't take Zoe. I don't know if you did so already use the search bar above to look but there were a couple of good threads here on grooming taliking about size blades etc. Maybe that will help.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Celeta
Dog's Name: Steve (a rescue)

I would not hesitate to shell out the big bucks for a good set of clippers, saving on two grooms for two fluffs and they pay for themselves! I'm still learning so I don't have any sage advice on the actual techniques.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi
Default Clippers And Groomers

I Dont Know about those clippers. but in my small town we have 6 groomers and a petsmart. i have been to 4-hate them all. and i know for a fact my Yogi was made calm by the last one.==iam looking into learning to groom him my self--because as hard as i know its for him-i am a wreck when he is at the groomers.-------some of his trims were a mess for xmass the just shaved him all over. it was a mess--its starting to come now.

Ill Be watching to see what you learn-keep posting*

Last edited by Yogi's Mom; 02-23-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

As far as grooming my two, that is not an option especially for our Snuggles. She is very uneasy as far as even letting me blow dry her use a comb or brush. I do not force it because I can usually do a pretty good towel dry on her. The one groomer that she does so well with is planning (or perhaps) has already given up her business. It will be tough to find someone who Snuggles does well with. Our Chrissy is fantstic with almost everyone and I do not have any problems grooming her after her bath. Do not have a grooming table which would certainly help but at least she lets me do what I have to. I personally do not have the skill and patience when it comes to cutting her hair. So I know what Yogi's Mom is talking about as far as finding a good groomer.
Snuggle's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

You can always tell any potential groomer that you will stay throughout the grooming. If they say no, you can't, find another groomer. Our groomer actually has a chair and TV next to her grooming table/bath tub/cage blow dryer, for any owner who wants to stay.

I am very fortunate to have an absolutely wonderful groomer. She has a little shop behind her house and my dogs love her. They go in happy to see her and aren't frantic to leave when I pick them up, and will go over and giver her a kiss and ask for scritches. That is all I need to see to know she treats them well, plus she does a nice job and is reasonably priced.

I do have one horror story about groomers: A number of years ago (10?? Don't remember) hubby, my 2 daughters and I went into Petco to pick up something or another. They have a glass wall between the store and the grooming area, and on the grooming table right next to the window was a little Maltese. Because it was a Maltese, I stopped a minute to watch. I will never forget what I saw: The little guy was on the table and the groomer was trying to brush him out with a wire brush. She was JERK JERK JERKING the brush through his coat, obviously hurting him. He started yelping and reaching his head around. When she kept jerking hard with the wire brush despite his yelps of pain, the little boy finally started trying to nip at her brush/hand, whereupon she PICKED HIM UP OFF THE TABLE BY HIS THROAT, shook him and hollered "KNOCK IT OFF!" in his face. She plopped him back down on the table and the little guy just stood there like a statue shaking as she went back to jerking the brush through his hair. She did this with ME staring at her through the window, only a couple feet away! I was desperate to stay there until the Maltese's owner came back to pick him up so I could tell him/her what happened but we live an hour away and hubby was in a rush to get home. I was in such shock at the entire incident that I was almost paralyzed at knowing what to do. Now, a bit older and more assertive, if I ever saw something like that again, I would be through the door and grab the dog off the table to cuddle it until the police/animal control officer arrived. I have forever regretted not telling hubby too bad, we're not going anywhere until that dog's owner arrives. At the very least I should have gotten the groomer's name and written a letter to Petco Inc. Every time I go in Petco since, I make a point of standing there and watching for a moment.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi
Default Omg!!!

Oh Gee-You Were Just To Shocked To Respond,I Would Think. I Know how that must have tuged on your heart.
I would have now that iam older and have a fur baby,Intervined without a doubt. But You are lucky to have a good groomer. iam going to find one-that will let me stay.

There are a few i havent tried--i think only-2- but it will be my way--or the worst haircuts forever for Yogie--done by me.

Last edited by Yogi's Mom; 02-23-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement