Tear Stains - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Leah
Dog's Name: Ari
Default Tear Stains

I am gonna vent for a minute... I just don't understand. When I got Ari he didnt have them... So it has to be something I am doing... I have him on Ultra now that's what breeder used ( i changed him to buffalo blue but he didnt really like it). He has stainless steel bowls, I was his face, but his eyes still water.. They are always wet. I have given him angel eyes for 5 weeks and no improvement. The only thing I haven't done is given him filtered water. Our water in Ga is awesome .. But I can try that... Any ideas? Makes me crazy!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci

How old is he??? He may be teething. Gucci had some tear stains when I got her and still does. I've used nothing but filtered water, washed with Spa Lavish, coated with boric acid eye drops, changed food...I've tried it all. Now that her baby teeth are all gone, I am hoping after all her teeth come in, it will stop. I hate it.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Tear Stains

He is 3. I adopted him from a breeder. I just don't understand why he has them now ... Urgh

Old 02-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

I've been on a mission to clear up Zsa Zsa's face. She came to me in April last year with her whole face stained dark along with her feet.

Her eyes ran a lot and her face stayed wet. After the usual diet change and face washings, I finally resorted to Angel Eyes. It helped a lot, got rid of the smell and so forth. I had a show groomer recommend Dawn dishwashing soap and no red meat so I made sure none of her food was red-meat based. I've been growing out her topknot and I swear that the longer the hair gets the better her eyes get. I'd heard that those little short hairs poke in their eyes no matter how well you keep them trimmed and I've become a believer.

I'm in Georgia, too, and agree, we have great water. My previous maltese had no problems with tear stains and we live in the same house.

It's not perfect and she still has old stains that haven't been cut out yet but she looks SO much better now.

Zsa Zsa
(Puppy mill? What's a puppy mill? You must have
me mistaken with someone else. I've been
a Princess my WHOLE life.)
missalita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Tear Stains

I'm using angel eyes and no improvement. How Long did it take for you to see an improvement? It's been 5 weeks!

Old 02-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

It took a while. Which kind did you get? I've heard the one labeled 'natural' doesn't work. You have to get the one that has the antibiotic in it. Also, I split her dose and gave it to her twice a day.

Sometimes there's just no easy fix. It can be a combination of things.

Zsa Zsa
(Puppy mill? What's a puppy mill? You must have
me mistaken with someone else. I've been
a Princess my WHOLE life.)
missalita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

It's most likely due to teething. Give it a little more time. I never saw it in any of his pics.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi

I Think Every Malt is differant with what causes it. But the hair poking and water can sure be a cause of it. I Use disstilled water and stainless steel bowls. There are times he gets them . I Just try to keep up with keeping his face washed and ill cut them out when they are bad.-in between grooming. ialso use johnson& Johnson baby shampoo on his face.
Maybe the tear stains for some malts will always have to be kept up with on a day to day basis. And Others will not have that.

I Think Ari is still to young to worry alot-i think it does better after teething and as they get older. gOOD lUCK nICKEE*

ONLY TIME WILL TELL*

Last edited by Yogi's Mom; 03-08-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

She said Ari is 3 so it's not teething.

This really is such a complicated problem in Maltese, probably because it is so difficult to identify the actual cause which can be many things. My vet says it is usually because they produce more tears than their tiny (and sometimes blocked) tear ducts can handle, so they run down the face instead. But if Ari didn't used to have staining that doesn't sound like it is his problem.

I'd recommend keeping up being vigilant with daily face washing. I find using Collyrium and BioGroom to wash her face every day has really helped. And maybe keep up with the Angel Eyes a few more weeks to see whether that finally gets it under control. Good luck and if you figure out what is the cause of Ari's let us know in case it could be useful info for some of us.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement