How do I explain a 2 1/2 inch scissor cut - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2006, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Hi everyone. Bella's hair is really short right now since I had her hair cut after surgery, but I will probably grow her body out to 2 1/2 inches and grow her face out to pretty much what it was before. However, my groomer and I were discussing the future possibilities a few weeks ago and she said my options were either short (really short!) or growing it out to how it was before (on it's way to a full coat). I don't understand what she means really, do you think these are just what she thinks will work best with Bella's hair, or does she not want to scissor cut? I'm confused. Bella is my sweet Bella whatever her hair looks like, and I've already decided I don't want to grow her out long but I would like to try 2 or 2 1/2 inches if its possible. I think my groomer will work with me, she is a really nice and understanding woman, does anyone know of a website I can send her to in order to explain what i want for Bella's hair? I think if she has instructions she will be more willing to try it, I think she has mostly worked with shaved dogs or dogs in full coat, and doesn't do a lot of inbetween. Any ideas?
Bella's short hair cut looks cuter everyday, so its not a huge deal---I'm just afraid when it gets longer I'm going to need to trim her and I don't want to have to go back to the skin short look. I would like it to stay like it is now, or grow it to 2 inches and keep it there.
Edit:
I should have added this:
I know next to nothing about clippers, or scissor cutting. If I'm asking my really nice groomer to do the impossible please tell me so I will quit bugging her about it

Old 08-24-2006, 01:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

You're not asking the impossible. I, too, was really confused when I first had Abbey groomed. The groomer I had was a "master" in my area & I wanted the 2" haircut as well. She told me she couldn't scissor cut maltese -that it would take 6 hours & be very expensive. So, I believed her but really wanted that second opinion, so one day I took a photo of what I wanted & set out to interview groomers in town. I was very happy to find the groomer I use today. She said she could scissor cut Abbey to any length I wanted her! She not only scissor cuts Abbey perfectly but she also only charges $5.00 more for it! She really works with me. I'm trying to get her to cut Abbey's ears like Princess'. We haven't perfected it yet but she keeps trying!!
Good Luck! I hope you find someone who is more comfortable with scissor cutting.
abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 05:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Crystal
Dog's Name: Zoe, Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin)

That is why I started scissoring Zoe myself! I too was told by every groomer in my area that I either had to clipper her short or grow her out to the full show coat.

Come to find out, most groomers in my area have never been trained how to scissor drop coated dogs. During this search I also found out that anyone can hang a shingle and announce themselves a dog groomer, with NO training! Look for a Certified Master Groomer. The only groomer in my area that is experienced in scissoring has carpel tunnel and no longer is able. I think that is why some other groomers won't hand scissor. I wish they would just say that instead of telling you it's not possible. If you live in a small town area you don't always get what is available in larger cities.

Thankfully I travel a lot and had the good fortune of talking to a groomer in LA who helped me a lot!

Good Luck!!
Crystal&Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I had to start scissor cutting Chloe myself because I couldn't find a local groomer to do it. Before that my former groomer would use the clipper on her and she had combs of varying lengths - although I do not remember what the longest was. My suggestion is to ask her if she'll scissor cut (it sounds like she doesn't IMHO) and if she does not then go with the longest clipper-comb length she has and leave it at that. It would be a compromise of sorts although you might have to keep a shorter face (my thoughts) for it to blend better.

Just an FYI - I wanted Chloe scissor cut because she absolutely without question despises the sound of the clippers. Trying to get away from the sound caused her a nick and that was the end of that for me.
CandicePK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Location: BRISBANE AUSTRALIA " SUNSHINE STATE" AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE

How do you scissor cut without it looking like you have hacked into there coat. When you use scissors, you can really see the cut line. How do you all blend it??????????????????????. someone needs to post step by step pictures for us new want-a-b fluff butt groomers.
BEK

Bek, Max, Cassy-Ann, Beanie and my angel above Sammy Maree
bek74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Laube makes the largest comb attachments for clippers I have ever seen - 2 inches.

http://www.petagree.net/ord_clippers_combs_laube.html

Maybe your groomer could use that if she can't scissor cut.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via AIM to Brinkley & Neyland's Mom Send a message via Yahoo to Brinkley & Neyland's Mom

Quote:
That is why I started scissoring Zoe myself! I too was told by every groomer in my area that I either had to clipper her short or grow her out to the full show coat.

Come to find out, most groomers in my area have never been trained how to scissor drop coated dogs. During this search I also found out that anyone can hang a shingle and announce themselves a dog groomer, with NO training! Look for a Certified Master Groomer. The only groomer in my area that is experienced in scissoring has carpel tunnel and no longer is able. I think that is why some other groomers won't hand scissor. I wish they would just say that instead of telling you it's not possible. If you live in a small town area you don't always get what is available in larger cities.

Thankfully I travel a lot and had the good fortune of talking to a groomer in LA who helped me a lot!

Good Luck!![/B]

We live in a small town and just had a Certified Master groomer move here from up north.
She groomed my fluffs once this summer, and as soon as I can dig up enough money they are going back. She knew what she was doing and they looked great. Usually I tell them "Don't touch the tail!" When I told her that, she looked at me funny and asked, "You don't want me to even fan it?" I was shocked....so I said, "You know how to fan?! By ALL MEANS you may fan it, most people around here don't know what to do with their tails..." She said she always fan cuts the malts tails. I was impressed. She is doing great business here. I have recommended several people to her. Wish I got discounts for that...ha ha...

I thought about asking for her to scissor Neyland, but to be honest, I like it when he is clipped ....when it starts to grow out, is has a layered look that I like....so I have decided that the extra work for her to scissor it really isn't worth it.

<span style="color:#990000">"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner </span>
Brinkley & Neyland's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Crystal
Dog's Name: Zoe, Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin)

I think the longest comb attachment for clippers is 2". I like Zoe a little longer. Also in my area, (again w/my area-maybe I should move ), most groomers HATE using the comb attachments. I went to a groomers seminar in Chicago a while back and that seemed to be the general consensus, although I'm not sure why. I know some people LOVE the look of a 2" clipper cut but I prefer the look of scissoring. The clippers tended to make Zoe's fur cottony w/a fuzzy look, which is a desired look for some. When I scissor her, her fur is silkier.

I am still not sure how to post pics yet so I'm not the best one to try & post a "how to" scissor. Also I have had very little training and am sure I am not doing everything correctly. The one thing I can suggest for the body is to part the hair down the center of the back. Use your grooming comb and comb out a section, holding the comb vertical to your baby's side, leaving the amount of fur you want to cut at the "outside" of the comb (kind of like when your hair stylist cuts your hair off the "outside" part of her fingers), and cut off vertically at the comb. Just repeat this through out the rest of the body. You will want to get your baby to "shake" every so often (you can blow in their ear) to make sure you are getting an even cut. It takes longer if you use thinning shears but you will get less "scissor marks". If you don't have thinning shears, w/practice you will get better at not leaving scissor marks w/straights. Even if you do, after a couple of days it seems to blend in.

I am always looking for tips to better improve myself so if anyone else has suggestions, or if I did not explain this technique correctly, please anyone feel free to correct me. As I said I have had very little training.

Hopefully someone who knows how to post pics can help out!
Crystal&Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Thanks everyone! Marj, thank you so much for the link to the 2" clipper comb. I'm sure my groomer will help me keep her at that length if we have the right tool, I'm just going to bookmark that link and ask her about it.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

You are most welcome! Ryans used to carry the extra large Laube combs, but they don't anymore. That link was one I found by googling.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement