How to remove saliva stains on paws and elsewhere? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2007, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
mss
Maltese Guru

I have a little rescue that may be Maltese and poodle mix. Anyway, he is white and charcoal gray/black. Or he should be, because the white on lots of his body is orangish from licking. He had sooooo many problems when I got him. I thought the allergies were under control through the use of Benadry, special vet-prescribed shampoos, diet changes. His skin is looking pretty good now--no hot spots or flaking--much improved.

But he keeps licking, especially his feet--They are quite brown now!

Someone said the licking may be his way of dealing with stress. Anyway, whatever the cause,

Are there some shampoos or other products that will remove the orange saliva stains? Hopefully something not too harsh.
mss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2007, 06:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brit
Dog's Name: Cosy from Bonnie's Angel Maltese
Send a message via AIM to Cosy

I would guess he licks his feet due to something that causes his feet to itch from outside.
He's most likely allergic to grass or something in it. You can try a bit of Benedryl to see if that helps. If it does then you can get meds from the vet for the allergy.
The stains will wear/grow off once the source is treated.

Please buy from reputable
exhibitor breeders or Rescue.
Cosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

John Paul Pet sells a shampoo that is for hot spots, biting, fleas and ticks and it has tea tree oil in it and works very well for hot spots..

http://www.JPPet.com

Good luck!
KandiMaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
mss
Maltese Guru

He's already on Benadryl, twice a day, and we have Malaseb shampoo which we use, also used Allermyl for a while. We went to the vet's recently. The vet didn't have any more advice about allergy treatment or anything like that. The yard is rather weedy, but I am not in a position redo the yard, since I rent. I guess he is doomed to have orange feet.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Mia, Cody, KCee, Bella & Snoopy
Send a message via Yahoo to luvmyfurbaby

Try Cowboy Magic conditioner it gently strips reside and will dissolve mineral and chemical buildup http://www.cowboymagic.com/ and then spray him with "The Stuff" [attachment=26251:stuff.jpg]
Attached Images

luvmyfurbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Harley & Dakota

It wont help the stains right now, but could you spray his feet with a little bitter apple to try & break his nervous habit of licking?

Harley & Dakotas Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janet
Dog's Name: Koby (Angel Scooby & Koko)

Scooby used to chew his back feet and make them pink around the toe hair, once I put him on Angel's Eyes for his tearing the foot biting stopped and the pink coloring disappeared and has never returned. I always thought it was allergy too but it turned out his saliva was the cause of the pink hair on his feet. He was also pink around his mouth so I guess what ever it was the Angel's Eyes rectified it.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Wink

OH yes I found this site http://www.malteseonly.com/cart/products.p...bccf3b18a6f11ec and they have stuff for under the eyes and for the coat. I havent tried it yet but I cant wait.. I hope this helps

Quote:
I have a little rescue that may be Maltese and poodle mix. Anyway, he is white and charcoal gray/black. Or he should be, because the white on lots of his body is orangish from licking. He had sooooo many problems when I got him. I thought the allergies were under control through the use of Benadry, special vet-prescribed shampoos, diet changes. His skin is looking pretty good now--no hot spots or flaking--much improved.

Someone said the licking may be his way of dealing with stress. Anyway, whatever the cause,

Are there some shampoos or other products that will remove the orange saliva stains? Hopefully something not too harsh.[/B]
phmystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Try this site, awesome
Quote:

Are there some shampoos or other products that will remove the orange saliva stains? Hopefully something not too harsh.[/B]
phmystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
mss
Maltese Guru

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

I looked at the Cowboy Magic site and there supposedly 3 stores in my general area that carry it. They're probably closed Sunday but I will check on it.

The connection with allergies, as I understand it, is that allergies make the dog nibble or lick - and it is the saliva which causes the stain.

I'm going to bathe him again this weekend, probably with the Allermyl. I'll try to clip the fur shorter but he doesn't like having his little footsies handled. Unlike the Malt I've had since tiny puppyhood, who I can do anything to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement