How to cut/groom the leg hair - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I'm sort of at a loss. And I think I blew it. I'm letting (or, I thought I was) Ollie's coat grow for the winter and today I decided to trim his feet up because the ground has been yuckie and they were getting too icky. ok, so I know how to do that (although getting a good trim on his front paws is challenging because he doesn't like them touched). so then it seemed like it looked "off balance" because the feet hair was short but the leg hair was a good few inches long. I assumed I needed to "taper" so I did. But now the length of his leg hair is overall too short I think! Do you all have advice/techniques on how to cut the foot/leg hair appropriately??

Poor Ollie--he hasn't been to the groomer since mid June and he is now my grooming guinea pig...

Old 10-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I know how you feel, Linus is in the same boat! I've left his legs long, so now it looks like he has leg warmers. I'm keep checking in on this one to see if there are any good tips.

Visit Linus McDuff's MySpace
Linus McDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Melissa
Dog's Name: Maggie and Abbie
Send a message via Yahoo to Missy&Maggie

I don't have any advice, but I can sympathize. Maggie's legs and paws always seem to have a mess look even have they have been combed! I'm interested to see what advice others have!!
Missy&Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
I know how you feel, Linus is in the same boat! I've left his legs long, so now it looks like he has leg warmers. I'm keep checking in on this one to see if there are any good tips.[/B]
LOL! Yes! Ollie had leg warmer legs!! LOL!! So I tried to taper it from the feet up. It's not easy!
Old 10-11-2007, 03:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

WHAT, we dont get pics!!! LOL.....I think we are all due for an Ollie fix!!
Krystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Cookie and Steve
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese

I'm very good at doing hack jobs so I'm not help!

bellaratamaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
WHAT, we dont get pics!!! LOL.....I think we are all due for an Ollie fix!![/B]
ok, ok, I'll take pics maybe tomorrow...or whenever this freaking rain stops!! It's wet and dark outside and dark and dreary in the house...
Old 10-11-2007, 05:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sue
Dog's Name: Boo & Hannah

Well, I'll try to explain how I trim Boo & Hannahs feet. They do go to a groomer every 6 to 8 weeks, but sometimes I do little touchups & trims on them if they don't really need a full groom yet. I don't actually cut the hair on the top of the feet. I use scissors & go around the edge of the foot, cutting it even with the townails & giving the foot a rounded look. Then I use blending shears on the very top edge & cut at an angle to give it a natural fluffy look. I use blunt tip baby scissors to trim the pads. I actually like the way I do it better than the way the groomer does it. They always have kitty cat feet when she does it. :P I just don't really care for the tapered effect. I do keep the leg hair the same length as the body hair, usually 1" to 2" maybe 3" long in winter. As long as I keep it at that length, I can trim up the feet with no problem.
momtoboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

I layer the feet, shortest on the bottom, working to longer. Trim all the hair off the bottom of the feet. Hair on the back of the foot even with the rest so it is even all around. Then, if I'm keeping the legs trimmed, for the back leg I pick up the foot and extend it behind them so their knee is bent. I trim that coat at a slight curve around the bent knee, not trimming anymore off the hair I just trimmed, gently getting a bit longer as I go around the leg. It should follow the curve of the leg.

Here's a scissored puppy cut leg.

A little bit longer

And a messy puppy, but you can see how his rear leg is trimmed (and yes, it was trimmed about a month before hand) - to follow the natural line.

Longer coat, legs not trimmed, but the feet are.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via AIM to sparkey Send a message via Yahoo to sparkey

Pam, I have been wanting to trim Sparkey's legs for a month now I just know I will screw up. well he still has his IV leg. so this time it can't get any worse than that? :P it is so hard to push all that hair in his shoes

wow JMM, you do such a good job. I learned so much from your posts already. I can't believe how even the leg looks in the first picture. you make me want to trim sp's legs tonight.

sparkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement