Dry Hair - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2008, 12:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Shoni has that same thing going on about the last couple of inches of his back just before the tail. Part of it is that with his tail curled up against his back it plays havic with that spot. I have used several things to try and smooth it down but I think I'll let it get longer and see if that helps. He was cut with a clipper 2 mo. ago down to about 1 1/2 in. and that made it worse. I wish I would never have let the groomer cut him with a clipper. Scissors would have been so much better.

P.S. I just ordered the Vellus Sampler. It has the Satin in it. Now I can try the shampoos/conditioner and satin.[/B]
If you frequently trim his ends with scissors as you grow him out it will be much easier, the coat will look less fluffy, and the ends will not be broken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2008, 07:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via AIM to NewMom328

I'm having the same problem with Jett and I've just started using th Vellus Satin cream and the static stabilizer spray when I brush him. It does look better than it did but I think we have a long road ahead of us haha!

NewMom328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Thanks for the heads up on trimming the coat.. I am trying to grow Leahs coat out and didnt realise that I was meant to do that!!!

my baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Dee
Dog's Name: Shoni

Quote:
Quote:
Shoni has that same thing going on about the last couple of inches of his back just before the tail. Part of it is that with his tail curled up against his back it plays havic with that spot. I have used several things to try and smooth it down but I think I'll let it get longer and see if that helps. He was cut with a clipper 2 mo. ago down to about 1 1/2 in. and that made it worse. I wish I would never have let the groomer cut him with a clipper. Scissors would have been so much better.

P.S. I just ordered the Vellus Sampler. It has the Satin in it. Now I can try the shampoos/conditioner and satin.[/B]
If you frequently trim his ends with scissors as you grow him out it will be much easier, the coat will look less fluffy, and the ends will not be broken.
[/B]
Jackie, are you saying trim ends all over? Shoni's hair is about 3" all over his body, should I keep trimming the whole body? How much are you cutting, 1/4"? How often? Seems like I would cut off all the growth if it was done very often.

Furbaby's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/B]
Jackie, are you saying trim ends all over? Shoni's hair is about 3" all over his body, should I keep trimming the whole body? How much are you cutting, 1/4"? How often? Seems like I would cut off all the growth if it was done very often.
[/B]

I just trim the ends once a month. I don't think i even cut 1/4". Riley's hair grows fast so it's not as noticeable.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

I trim probably about 1/4 inch off the body coat and chest area. Soda's coat grows very fast so I trim him every 2-3 weeks. It might slow growth a little, but broken coat ends will slow it even more (and make you pull coat out).
Old 04-29-2008, 01:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
I trim probably about 1/4 inch off the body coat and chest area. Soda's coat grows very fast so I trim him every 2-3 weeks. It might slow growth a little, but broken coat ends will slow it even more (and make you pull coat out).[/B]
I've never trimmed Moxie. Am i supposed to if I'm growing his coat? I only trim his paw pads. His hair isn't all one length...it doesn't break a lot. I just have never done anything besides brush/comb him out. I just got the coat handler shampoo and conditioner. I used this new cuddley puppy from kheils ( I hadn't gotten the coat handler from cherrybrook yet)

I like how the Kheils got him whiter, but I thought it was a lot more drying than the Pantene. After I used the Silk Spirits on him he got all shiney. Moxie's Butt is also a different texture than his body. It's alittle kinky and drier. It's strange. But I did wash him twice and made sure to really rinse out all the shampoo, then put the conditiioner in and let it sit for 3 minutes.

I will say that I love the Spa Lavish facial on his face. I could definetly tell the difference between his head and his body texture. The Spa Lavish made his head so shiney even without a conditioner or oil. I am thinking of trying Spa lavish shampoo (not the facial) on the rest of his body. But I will try the coat handler shampoo and conditioner first. Diluted of course.

I got my measuring bottles from Sally's this weekend, a long with the mesh wraps (which i suck at..LOL) I used the wraps then when I un wrapped his top knot is was all kinky..even with the Kolestral...Oh Jackie..I wish you lived closer! I'd hire you to train me TO DO ALL THIS PROPERLY!

So I'm figuring I should trim Moxie? Now I need the proper scissors...oy, just what i wanted. more stuff

-Chrisman's Sir Mucho Moxie CDX RN RL1 -

In Memory of my beloved Mogie: October 15, 1994-October 15, 2007
Moxie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

I'm talking about regrowing a coat after it was clipped. The clipping leaves the ends "frayed". Moxie hasn't been clipped. As his coat gets long, you'll probably want the groomer to trim it up just off the ground for neatness (and when it drags it will break ends so you want to trim those broken ends off).

If you fold the hair over, it will leave a fold mark. You can iron it out if you want to do a different top knot. I don't really care since I take the top knot down, brush the hair, and put it right back up. Otherwise you do start fresh and straight after each bath.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement