I have to say that I am appalled by some of these groomers in my area - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2008, 07:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie
Dog's Name: Daisy
Send a message via Yahoo to SicilianRose Send a message via Skype™ to SicilianRose
Arrow

I figured I would be ahead of the game and start interviewing groomers for my precious Daisy. Well I researched the web to make sure that I ask all the right questions and OMG the responses I got were appalling!! They didn't make it to question 3 and my questionnaire is at least 20 questions long.

First I am surprised as to how many will not allow you to observe any grooming sessions whether they be your puppies first, second or third. They frown upon that highly. Which makes me wonder, WTH do they have to hide!?!?!? Second, when I asked them if they sedate the animal, I got many no's but then it was always followed by a "BUT, only when asked and we do treat every animals water with this herbal remedy before grooming." Um, hello!!!! Isn't that sedation!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! How these companies stay in business is beyond me.

I am now down to the last groomer on my list from 15 groomers (whom all failed) and am awaiting her call back. I got her voice mail when I first called. She is a mobile groomer who has a waiting list. Good thing I started now, lol. I am hoping that the reason why she has a waiting list is because she is good, does not harm the animal, does not sedate and does not care if you watch your pet during the session. Please Ladies, wish me luck and hope that she is the groomer for me.

YOU can STOP
Puppy Mills, Back Yard Breeders, & Pet Store's that sell puppies
by not buying anything from them.

INSTEAD Adopt, Rescue or Buy Responsibly
from Reputable Show/Exhibitor Breeders.
ALWAYS do your research!!!

BOYCOTT GREEDERS!!!
SicilianRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2008, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Suzan
Dog's Name: Keiko & Nikki

You are wise to start looking now. I suggest you find a Maltese Meetup group (www. meetup.com) in your area to meet other Maltese owners for puppy socialization, and to compare notes on groomers. The grooming situation is a nightmare these days. I've used groomers for the last 30 years with my Poodle, my Bichon, and now my Maltese. It just gets worse.

I went through the same thing with Nikki when I first got her in March. After numerous unreturned phone calls and e-mails, and strange conversations with many groomers, I finally found a mobile groomer in my price range. She is very nice and she does an okay job, not fantastic. But she is the only one I could find without "issues." I have to book her at least 3 weeks in advance. As soon as I can afford it, I am buying grooming equipment and I will groom Nikki myself eventually.

BTW, some of the groomers don't want the owners around because the dogs fuss more if you are there. I worked as a groomer's assistant many many years ago and I have seen this happen. But still, IMO a groomer should allow you to stay at least for a little while the first time, if you request it. I know that some groomers use Bach's Rescue Remedy Flower Essence which is totally harmless but it does calm the dog. I've given it to Nikki myself before her grooming. However, they should always clear it with you first if they want to use it. I always tell the groomer "no water, no drugs." My groomer works quickly, usually about 45 min - 1 hour, and her van is very clean. I give the groomer the shampoo that I always use on Nikki. I won't let her use any of her own products in case they are of poor quality or heavily scented.

What I like about a mobile groomer is that they are right outside the door with no other dogs but yours and you don't have to leave the dog there all day to deal with who-knows-what? Groomers usually wash all of the dogs like an assembly line and then they sit in their cages and wait their turn for clipping and scissoring. Lots of things can happen.

Once I left my Bichon at the groomer, and when I returned the groomer took me in the back where she was grooming a dog WHILE SMOKING A CIGARETTE, and my Bichon was in a small cage with A CAT!!!! My poor puppy was terrified! So you are right to be selective and wary.

Hope this info helps you. If you have any further questions about mobile groomers, feel free to ask. I wish you well. The grooming industry has changed quite a bit over the years. I remember back in the 80's I had a wonderful groomer for my Bichon who did everything right.
Nikki's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Jane
Dog's Name: Zoey, Tess & Emy
Send a message via AIM to njdrake

You are really on the ball with things so I'm sure you'll find someone you can trust. One thing I did when I was looking was when I saw people with dogs I would stop them and ask who did their grooming. I always ask if they were happy with them and their work. Another thing you can do is call vets offices and if there's any pet boutiques in your area call them and see if they'll recommend someone. When I'm at my friends pet boutique we hear so many horror stories about groomers that you sure know who the bad ones are. I hope you find the perfect groomer for Daisy and someone you feel completely comfortable with.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

It took me almost 2 yrs to find a groomer I finally liked and actually listened to me.
Every groomer would cut Nemo's face all the time even after I just told them leave his face alone I don't know why they don't listen>
Now I have a man that does Nemo great and he listens and doesn't touch his face.
I know it's so frustrating going through this but I would definitely try to get references from Maltese owners .
Good Luck
I found nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie
Dog's Name: Daisy
Send a message via Yahoo to SicilianRose Send a message via Skype™ to SicilianRose

Thanks everyone for the wonderful advice. Thanks for information Nikki's mom, I did not know that and really appreciate that you explained it to me. I am leaning more toward the mobile grooming. I like the fact that it is in done on my property and 100% of her attention will be focused on my fur baby. I just hope she is reputable and calls back soon. Monday I will also call my vet and some of the local pet boutiques and see who they recommend as well.

YOU can STOP
Puppy Mills, Back Yard Breeders, & Pet Store's that sell puppies
by not buying anything from them.

INSTEAD Adopt, Rescue or Buy Responsibly
from Reputable Show/Exhibitor Breeders.
ALWAYS do your research!!!

BOYCOTT GREEDERS!!!
SicilianRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I found my groomer through a reccomendation at the dog park. I would ALWAYS ask people who did the pups grooming and would look into the groomers. The groomer that does Mia has maltese paintings everywhere! She loves Mia and Mia loves her!! When I had Mia cut short last time her groomer called me several times to make sure I wanted it done!! She loves the longer hair!!
Krystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Mia, Cody, KCee, Bella & Snoopy
Send a message via Yahoo to luvmyfurbaby

I have a mobile groomer who I would not change for the world since day one I told her I would stay with her during the grooming and she never had a problem with that, I didn't ask I told her.....LOL. She now grooms 2 more on my block and another one I recommended her to a few blocks over. She is ok when I give her my shampoo and conditioner. She also talks to the fluffs the whole time she is grooming them. The few times she was booked and I urgently needed them groomed I took them to a local groomer with a print out of what I wanted and they told me the would be ready at a certain time and I told them no I'll wait. I am paying them to do a service.
luvmyfurbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Melanie
Dog's Name: Whisper
Send a message via Yahoo to MissMelanie

Ahhh the grooming nightmare, rears it's ugly head again. Personally I feel we have been very blessed with groomers for the most part. And I think that is because there are so many Toy breeds around here. I even know of one groomer that ONLY does Maltese, she is GREAT and knows it, and charges a VERY high fee for doing them, even if it's just a basic groom, like a tidy up.

I wish you well, and think you are great for hunting so early for a wonderful groomer. GOOD LUCK to you! It will pay off in the end.

enJOY!
Melanie

RIP my darling Mr Wookie. I fully believe, you are now truly Snuggling with Angels.
MissMelanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kylie
Dog's Name: Luna

Alot of groomers don't want owners to watch because it makes the dog more stressed and they struggle more - i.e. to get to the owner don't take it as them wanting to hide something from you :P I don't watch my groomer - but she was recommended to me by another maltese owner - your best bet would be to find another maltese owner and ask where they take their dog They could be using "rescue remedy" - thats not really sedation (more like aromatherapy for dogs and I use it on Luna at my vet's recommendation) but again they shouldn't do so without permission. Some dogs do need to be sedated - but thats mainly older dogs or those who have had really bad experiences - I know my groomer does rehabilitation work - she is awesome

I would also ask things like where are the dogs kept when not on the grooming table - mines more like a doggy daycare (no crates) but alot use crates/cages, also how do they dry dogs (NOOOOO to cage dryers) what qualifications they have?

Luna'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: (Divine)Bella and (Pashes)Krista

I am blessed in that my groomer lets me stay through the whole session of washing, hand blowdry, and clip/scissor etc.
The reception area is gated off from the salon... but the salon area is totally open and I can see everything that is happening. I have had to polietly make requests such as "Please could you put the free roaming big dog away" ...."Please hand my dog to me if you must answer a
phone" .....etc. but have always been answered in a positive way. Seeing how even the best of groomers behave... I could never ever leave a fur-kid of mine alone to be groomed by anyone. I would be a basket case...not that I am not already.
I do have to be the first appointment, but that is okay. It usually takes about an hour and 20 minutes and we are back on the road again. I only take in one of the girls at a time. The groomer struggles getting the face rounded like I like but clips the body nicely and hand scissors the legs wonderfully... since she accomodates us in every other way...I just come home and touch up the face myself.
I do tip 25% because of the accommodation she affords us. I will freak out if I ever lose her.

Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement