How to keep a Maltese White? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008, 10:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I was wondering how exactly do you keep a maltese white? I bought the angel eyes stuff you give them to get rid of the tear staining. But what about the rest of them? I read somewhere on here about a special shampoo can you get it at the pet store? Oh and I have never actually blow dried a dog do maltese need to be blow dried? My dog that I offically be getting thursday evening will almost always be kept in a short cut (it is just easier for me to manage, I almost always kept my poodles hair short before she died).

Oh and what kind of shampoo would be good for just general bathing (would a tear free baby shampoo work?). Can you give them a bath once a week because I am actually allerigic if animals do not get baths regular (this may sound weird but I am allergic to dirty animals)

Old 07-01-2008, 10:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Mia, Cody, KCee, Bella & Snoopy
Send a message via Yahoo to luvmyfurbaby

Yes you should blow dry them and there are several very good shampoos - Bless the beast, Cowboy Magic, Coat Handler, Spa Lavish, CC Products, Pantene (for humans) Fructis (for humans), Loreal Vive (for humans) I would stick with a tearless shampoo for the face and head. I bathe mine once a week. Congrats on your up coming new addition.
luvmyfurbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via MSN to binniebee Send a message via Yahoo to binniebee

To answer most of your questions with one answer would be great, huh? Well, honestly I do keep Midis very white and his hair is in good condition using Tearless Bio-Groom Super White Coat Brightener. I dilute it a LOT! Like about 4 to 1. The conditioner I use is a people conditioner made by Garnier Fructus called Sleek & Shine. (Midis and I both use that. ) I don't use a facial cleaner, but should probably. Midis doesn't have bad staining, but of course has the eye "goop" which (if not washed off daily) will eventually lead to some minor stains on the face. I try to just wash his snout/face every few days to clean this up, but you will undoubtedly see some photos of him where I have slacked off on this during my busy times at work.

If you think your pup has some serious eye staining/draining issues (after he's finished teething) others here can direct you to the various options of eliminating or cleaning the stains.

Hope this helps!

Cyndi

binniebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Linda
Dog's Name: Bonnie Marie, my angel and Bellarata's Bounces with Wolves, Bounce - St. Patrick's Baby!

I like the Bio-groom Super White, too, but I've always heard that a whitening shampoo is very drying, and should only be used once a month. I always blow dry Bonnie.

Bounce, you're the joy and sparkle in my life (with the heart shaped tongue).
Bonnie, you're my sweet girl who will never be forgotten or replaced.
Bonnie's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Not sure if you know this or not, but you should hold off on the Angels Eyes until your pup is finished with teething because it can stain the teeth...
Krystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

How long should I wait on the angel eyes? Where do you get the whiteing shampoo?
Old 07-02-2008, 01:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Linda
Dog's Name: Bonnie Marie, my angel and Bellarata's Bounces with Wolves, Bounce - St. Patrick's Baby!

QUOTE (bell @ Jul 2 2008, 12:11 PM)
Quote:
How long should I wait on the angel eyes? Where do you get the whiteing shampoo?[/B]
My vet suggested around a year, but wait at least until after teething. You can just google the type of shampoo you're looking for, as they are sold in various places.
Here is a link for the Bio Groom:
http://www.petmountain.com/product/shampoo...te-shampoo.html

Bounce, you're the joy and sparkle in my life (with the heart shaped tongue).
Bonnie, you're my sweet girl who will never be forgotten or replaced.
Bonnie's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

QUOTE (bell @ Jul 2 2008, 11:11 AM)
Quote:
How long should I wait on the angel eyes? Where do you get the whiteing shampoo?[/B]
Angel Eyes can be used according to the directions on the bottle. That is what I used for Clifford. It doesn't stain the teeth, its Tetracycline that does. I use Chris Christenson products, and a must have is Ice on Ice leave in daily spray. Never brush your maltese's coat dry, always use a leave in conditioning spray. Pantene, Garnier conditioners are great on their coats to get a shine, and straight. Congrats on your baby, and enjoy...............

cloey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Both the vet I use and the surgeon Ava had at The University of Pennsylvania are totally opposed to Angel Eyes. Yes, it does work but that is because of the drugs in it. They do not know the long term effects of that product on animals yet. I keep Ava's face clean with a little tearless shampoo and I wash it every few days.
jlhajmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Check your food. Beet pulp in the food will intensify the staining from tears. Some zoo's use it to help dye their flamingo.
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement