Help for dry hair - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2008, 04:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie
Thumbs up

Riely's hair is very dry. I give him the 3V caps daily and feed him NB Sweet Potato and Fish and also yogurt. I have used Coat Handler and that didn't seem to make a huge difference on his hair, i have also used suave shampoo and CC daily moisturizing conditioner, after bath and the CC silk serum with no big improvements. The front of his coat is silky, but the back down to his butt seems dry. I read that while grooming if you get alot of hair in brush that the coat is too dry. I use biogroom leave in spray conditioner when brushing daily. Is there anything that anyone can reccomend to use to get more moisture in his coat?

Old 12-29-2008, 06:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

How often do you bathe him?
Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I had posted this on another forum and one of the poster's had mentioned that one of the Top Breeder's alternates between Herbal Essences "Drama Clean" shampoo and conditioner and Dove "Go Fresh Therapy Energize" shampoo and conditoner. So i figured what have i got to waste. So tonight while i was at work i purchased both of the shampoos and conditioners. I gave Riley a bath tonight and decided to get whatever products i have been using out of his hair and so i used the Herbal Essences "Drama Clean" shampoo and conditioner. What a difference in his hair, the conditioner is very light weight and didn't weigh his hair down and it wasn't so light that it didn't condition enough. Riley's hair has never been so soft as it is tonight and my son was amazed at the difference on Riley's backside. I will be giving Noelle a bath tomorrow night and will use the same shampoo and conditioner and hopefully get the same results since her hair is completely different. I give this shampoo and conditioner two . Next week i will be using the Dove shampoo and conditioner and give you my review on it.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
KAG
Maltese Guru

Name: Kerry
Dog's Name: Lola and Crisse in Heaven, Darla and Fallon
Wink

That's so good to know, Debbie. Thank you. You also described my Fallon to a tee.
xoxoxox

Last edited by KAG; 03-09-2010 at 10:38 PM.
KAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Linda
Dog's Name: Sophie & Annie

Are these the people shampoos? I'd like to try them on Sophie who has a somewhat cottony coat.

Linda

QUOTE (MySugarBears @ Dec 30 2008, 03:35 AM)
Quote:
I had posted this on another forum and one of the poster's had mentioned that one of the Top Breeder's alternates between Herbal Essences "Drama Clean" shampoo and conditioner and Dove "Go Fresh Therapy Energize" shampoo and conditoner. So i figured what have i got to waste. So tonight while i was at work i purchased both of the shampoos and conditioners. I gave Riley a bath tonight and decided to get whatever products i have been using out of his hair and so i used the Herbal Essences "Drama Clean" shampoo and conditioner. What a difference in his hair, the conditioner is very light weight and didn't weigh his hair down and it wasn't so light that it didn't condition enough. Riley's hair has never been so soft as it is tonight and my son was amazed at the difference on Riley's backside. I will be giving Noelle a bath tomorrow night and will use the same shampoo and conditioner and hopefully get the same results since her hair is completely different. I give this shampoo and conditioner two . Next week i will be using the Dove shampoo and conditioner and give you my review on it.[/B]

sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Are human shampoos safe to use with flea products or do they wash them out?
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Cookie and Steve
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese

QUOTE (MySugarBears @ Dec 30 2008, 03:35 AM)
Quote:
I had posted this on another forum and one of the poster's had mentioned that one of the Top Breeder's alternates between Herbal Essences "Drama Clean" shampoo and conditioner and Dove "Go Fresh Therapy Energize" shampoo and conditoner. So i figured what have i got to waste. So tonight while i was at work i purchased both of the shampoos and conditioners. I gave Riley a bath tonight and decided to get whatever products i have been using out of his hair and so i used the Herbal Essences "Drama Clean" shampoo and conditioner. What a difference in his hair, the conditioner is very light weight and didn't weigh his hair down and it wasn't so light that it didn't condition enough. Riley's hair has never been so soft as it is tonight and my son was amazed at the difference on Riley's backside. I will be giving Noelle a bath tomorrow night and will use the same shampoo and conditioner and hopefully get the same results since her hair is completely different. I give this shampoo and conditioner two . Next week i will be using the Dove shampoo and conditioner and give you my review on it.[/B]

I am a huge fan of the Dove products that were recommended. I use it on show day and it leaves the coat looking amazing. One thing I have found though is that I get a bit more matting, esp those little pinhead knots. The drama Clean seems to be worse than the Dove. But otherwise, i love the way it makes the coat feel, soo silky soft. And you can't beat the price!

bellaratamaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brit
Dog's Name: Cosy from Bonnie's Angel Maltese
Send a message via AIM to Cosy

It's always a good idea to use a clarifying shampoo at least once a month to strip away
any residue or buildup of product. I think you will find most of those products work
better if you do this.

Please buy from reputable
exhibitor breeders or Rescue.
Cosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

QUOTE (LadysMom @ Jan 1 2009, 10:54 PM)
Quote:
Are human shampoos safe to use with flea products or do they wash them out?[/B]

I use Sentinel Heartworm medicine for the pups and it also helps to control fleas and that's all i use for the pups nothing else for fleas. You would think living in Florida we would have a problem, but we don't.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Heather Rochelle Allen
Dog's Name: Gucci (12-12-05), Kaia Noelle Allen (9-15-07), and Dakota Destiny Allen(9-6-09)
Send a message via AIM to Heather_Rochelle Send a message via MSN to Heather_Rochelle Send a message via Yahoo to Heather_Rochelle

Someone on another board mentioned Granier frutics sleek and shine to me and i bought the shampoo and conditioner to try on Gucci

QUOTE (MySugarBears @ Jan 2 2009, 01:40 AM)
Quote:
QUOTE (LadysMom @ Jan 1 2009, 10:54 PM)
Quote:
Are human shampoos safe to use with flea products or do they wash them out?[/B]

I use Sentinel Heartworm medicine for the pups and it also helps to control fleas and that's all i use for the pups nothing else for fleas. You would think living in Florida we would have a problem, but we don't.
[/B][/QUOTE]