Tear staining -- yogurt and eye wipes - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I've been reading on the forum about giving yogurts to help with tear staining with much interest. I'd like to try it on our boy and girl as changing food (used to be Canidae and now NB duck and potatoes), changing water, washing face, etc. didn't help. Both Pasha and Raine tear a lot and have heavy red stains that I have to trim off regularly. I'd like to give them some yogurt but how much should I give them? Raine is 5 lbs and Pasha is 8 lbs.

Also, I saw Petkin's Jumbo EyeWipe at the store. It only list Aloe vera Gel and Botanical Extracts as key ingredients. It supposes to be gentle and helps remove dirt and tear stains. Has anyone tried it? I also saw that they have toothwipes as well (key ingredients: baking soda, cetylpyridinium chloride, mint flavor).

Old 01-19-2009, 11:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: *Tammy*
Dog's Name: Chrisman's Benjamin Angelo & Marcris Sweet Dreams Emma Anjelica

QUOTE (cleooscar @ Jan 19 2009, 07:21 PM)
Quote:
I've been reading on the forum about giving yogurts to help with tear staining with much interest. I'd like to try it on our boy and girl as changing food (used to be Canidae and now NB duck and potatoes), changing water, washing face, etc. didn't help. Both Pasha and Raine tear a lot and have heavy red stains that I have to trim off regularly. I'd like to give them some yogurt but how much should I give them? Raine is 5 lbs and Pasha is 8 lbs.

Also, I saw Petkin's Jumbo EyeWipe at the store. It only list Aloe vera Gel and Botanical Extracts as key ingredients. It supposes to be gentle and helps remove dirt and tear stains. Has anyone tried it? I also saw that they have toothwipes as well (key ingredients: baking soda, cetylpyridinium chloride, mint flavor).[/B]
I give my dogs about a tablespoon each once per day of yogurt. I always get Activia plain or Dannon Plain. I started w/only 1/2 tablespoon to see how they would handle the yogurt and then worked up to more over a few weeks.

I haven't tried the wipes, but I use Spa Lavish Facial Scrub on their eyes and beards. It doesn't irritate their eyes at all. I just apply w/a warm, wet cottonball and then just rinse the soap off.

Good luck w/the stains....it can seem like there is no solution(trust me, I've been there)....but alot of times it's just trial and error! Hang in there!
Old 01-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

for us, yogurt works! i went through 2 bottles of angel eyes, giving 1/4 tsp daily until noticing a difference, but always had to start again. i have totally stopped the angel eyes and switched to 1-2 tsp. plain yogurt daily. abbi loves it and her stains are gone!
i do still notice some tearing/wetness, but no staining!!! try the yogurt, i don't think it could hurt unless your doggie has a sensitive stomach. i also feed abbi nb duck and potato.
good luck!

rmwms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I have some Dannon Activia at home so I just gave Pasha and Raine some yogurt. So far so good. They licked it all up. How many days of giving yogurt before you started to notice a difference? I was at the point of ordering Tylan but may hold off on it a while yet because I'm not too comfortable giving them antibiotic if there's a better and more natural solution.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: *Tammy*
Dog's Name: Chrisman's Benjamin Angelo & Marcris Sweet Dreams Emma Anjelica

QUOTE (cleooscar @ Jan 20 2009, 04:43 PM)
Quote:
I have some Dannon Activia at home so I just gave Pasha and Raine some yogurt. So far so good. They licked it all up. How many days of giving yogurt before you started to notice a difference? I was at the point of ordering Tylan but may hold off on it a while yet because I'm not too comfortable giving them antibiotic if there's a better and more natural solution.[/B]
For me it was a couple of weeks of giving yogurt and cleaning eyes everyday w/Spa Lavish. I continue to do both on a daily routine and it has kept staining at bay.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Thanks! I'll keep at it. They really like the yogurt. So even if the staining doesn't clear up, I'll still keep giving it to them as a daily treat. I clean their faces daily and use cornstarch but the tears still flow like a faucet. Raine's already finished her teething months ago and had her tearducts flushed when she got spayed (still didn't help with the tearing/staining). Pasha's getting his teeth cleaned next month and 2 of his retained baby teeth removed. I'll ask the vet to have his tearducts flushed too to see if it'll help.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Puppy and Beegee

If you use Bausch and Lomb Irrigating Eye Wash (available at Walmart, Kmart, etc.) twice a day, you should not have tear stains at all!
Old 01-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

QUOTE (princessre @ Jan 21 2009, 09:52 AM)
Quote:
If you use Bausch and Lomb Irrigating Eye Wash (available at Walmart, Kmart, etc.) twice a day, you should not have tear stains at all![/B]

How do you use the wash? Do you put in on a pad then wipe over the eyes? Thanks.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Linda
Dog's Name: It's Magic Toby Ghost and Magic's In The Spirit Of The Quest

QUOTE (princessre @ Jan 21 2009, 10:52 AM)
Quote:
If you use Bausch and Lomb Irrigating Eye Wash (available at Walmart, Kmart, etc.) twice a day, you should not have tear stains at all![/B]

I have a question do you just tilt their head back and put a few drops of the Bausch and Lomb in each eye? I went and bought some so need to know how and how much to use.
Thanks,
Linda and Toby
Toby Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Puppy and Beegee

I just tilt the head back and flush the eyes out for a few seconds.