Petzlife Oral Care Gel -- Contains grain alcohol - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I was about to order this on Amazon.com having read that some of you have good experience with it. Then I read one review that said it contains grain alcohol and "might have' caused this person's dogs to have high liver enzyme. Has anyone heard of this? If you have a bottle, could you please check if grain alcohol is listed. I just want to make sure it's safe.

This is the review I read:
Beware, has grain alcohol, December 9, 2008
By Joel T. Laskin
I bought this for my chihuahua and Chinese Crested girls. I used it for awhile then brought them in for their annual blood tests. Their ALT's (liver enzymes) were high. So, I started checking everything they were getting to see what could cause it. I read about liver enzyme levels and discovered that high ALT's is often a sign of alcoholism. That's when I noticed that a primary ingredient (1st or 2nd) in this product is grain alcohol. Did it cause the liver problems? I dont know for sure. Then years later, in case it wasn't to blame, I tried it again, just a tiny bit, much less than they recommend, on my chihuahua whose teeth were bad. she's a bit old, and I didn't want her to get a reg. teeth cleaning. That night she was woozy, disoriented and swaying around during her walk. That's it. I threw it away and will never use it again.

Also, another review:
Works Great, but Careful on the Dose, May 11, 2008
By curl girl

I have a 14 year-old American Eskimo who still likes to chew daily. Before buying this, we had her in for an annual dental, but I honestly don't think she's going to need it any more. My only caution on this is to not overdo the gel dosage. Whenever I do, she's keen to find grass to munch on to settle her stomach. A few times, she's thrown up.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Petzlife lists the ingredients including distilled water and grain alcohol.

We use it on our fluffs daily and think it's a wonderful product.

http://www.petzlife.com/productsafety.html

Old 03-26-2009, 05:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brit
Dog's Name: Cosy from Bonnie's Angel Maltese
Send a message via AIM to Cosy

I think I would be more leary of the rosemary oil in this product than the miniscule amount of grain
alcohol. Rosemary has been shown to cause neurological problems in canines. This includes seizures.

Please buy from reputable
exhibitor breeders or Rescue.
Cosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I just ordered it. Thanks for your feedback. My breeder uses it too so I'm feeling a lot more comfortable. Just want to be safe than sorry. I'll just have to make sure not to use too much gel. I can't wait to give it a try! Pasha just came back from dental cleaning and I want to keep his teeth cleaned. And hopefully the other 2 puppies' teeth will also stay nice and clean with this product. :-)

PS Cosy is so adorable! Love the name.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

A member on another forum actually emailed the company about the grain alcohol in Petzlife. This is her response:

"I had E-mailed Petzlife customer service about my concern over the alcohol, and the owner of Petzlife - Bud Groth e-mailed me back and provided his phone number for me to call and talk with him. I called him this morning and spoke with him for about 20 minutes. VERY NICE MAN and from talking to him, you can tell he truly cares about the animals. He didn't give some automated company-type response but was very personable and said he was so glad I brought up my concern. He said he had spoken with the person that left the negative review posted on amazon in this thread, but they never did any follow up with him. He said he cannot guarantee that no dog or cat will be adversely affected by the product because each animal is an individual, but he truly feels like the product is very safe, as do many many vets who have used the product for their clients for years. He said the alcohol used is to keep the oils suspended in the gel and that the amount used is so minimal that most evaporates before it is even swallowed."
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hi,

I just saw your post. I'm having the same question about the safety of petzlife. How did your experience turn out?
alohapup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Nyx
Dog's Name: Bobo

I'm looking for oral products too. Please let us know how your experience is!

Thanks!~~
nyx0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Crystal
Dog's Name: Zoe, Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin)

Been using PetzLife for over 5 years now and everyone's ALT & AST levels are perfect. Love the stuff.
Crystal&Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brenda
Dog's Name: Jodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal&Zoe View Post
Been using PetzLife for over 5 years now and everyone's ALT & AST levels are perfect. Love the stuff.
Crystal is this available at your store?
Old 02-17-2011, 01:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Crystal
Dog's Name: Zoe, Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maglily View Post
Crystal is this available at your store?
Yep.
Crystal&Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement