Adding a second furbaby to the family - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2010, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

My hubbie and I are owned by a 1-year-old male maltipoo...pls don't slam me about owning a designer dog, it's a long story. Lucky is energetic, playful, well-adjusted and well-socialized, and fearless. We've had no issues and feel blessed to have him in our lives. However, we don't have kids and both of us work. We absolutely adore Lucky and love spending time with him but I think he would benefit from a brother or sister because he's so socially-oriented. Our vet recommends waiting until Lucky is 18 months, choosing a breed that gets along well with other dogs (we want a Maltese) and getting a female. Sooooooo, for those of you with multiples, can you offer any advice or share your experiences?
Lucky'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pat
Dog's Name: Archie, Abbey, Ava, Mona Lisa and Tinker

I started out with Archie. I actually got him because...Lacie, my bichon, was getting old and I wanted to have a new pup for when the inevitable happened. But a year later I added Abbey, she was such a tiny fun little maltese....she was a daddy's girl for sure!!! Lacie was 12 when I started with the maltese....she passed away when she was just about 15.

Then a year later (from Abbey) for some unknown reason I ended up adopting a rescue yorkie. Tinker was rescued as an adult from a puppy mill in Arkansas. I'm still not sure how this all happened....but Tink has been here for three years now and is a very happy little knucklehead. He'll always have issues...but he's ok. I love him.

A few years after that I wanted to do it right by getting a pup from a successful show dog breeder. I chose Bonnie Palmer and I got a Bonnie's Angel. A few weeks later we had a terrible accident and the pup died. The saddest day of my life so far. A few months later I went back to Florida and came back with the most gorgeous tiny little 6 month old pup from Bonnie Palmer that i've ever seen in my life. Her name is Ava, and now I even show her. She's perfect and she's one of the pack. Life is good.

Dogs are wonderful. They can lift your spirits no matter how upset you may be. I love having multiple pups, even though the vet bills seem pretty darn high once in a while. I know of another sweet baby I'd love to have....but I'm not hearing much acceptance from the husband....

Archie, Ava and Abbey
Life is Good!!!....and keeps gettin' better!!!

To get to Ava's FB page...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ava/2...9759780?ref=hl
The A Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Claudia
Dog's Name: Jack & Jill

I got Jack & Jill together - they were littermates, so I don't have much advice about adding a new pup, but I must say that I think most dogs benefit from having a playmate throughout the day. I strongly encourage you to get Lucky a sibling!
Old 01-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: London (12/20/07) & Preston (03/25/09)

We got Preston when London was just over 1yr old and it was the perfect time for us (and her). We got a female (London) only because I desperately wanted a little girl to put in cute dresses & bows, but it turned out that she hates clothes (although sometimes I make her wear them) and never learned to leave her topknot alone...so it got chopped off. When we decided to add a 2nd baby, I preferred a male because our previous Maltese (Benson, who passed away due to a liver shunt before London was in our lives) was the sweetest boy ever. It turns out that Preston is JUST like Benson personality-wise.

Is Lucky neutered? If not, you will need to make sure he is neutered before you bring a girl home (if you decide on a female). Females can be quite a bit more expensive, so be prepared to spend between $2000 - $3000 if you want a pet-quality female Maltese. Males tend to be between $1200 - $1800. Only purchase a puppy from a breeder who ACTIVELY shows in AKC Conformation. Any breeder who breeds mixed-breed dogs is someone to stay far away from, as is any breeder who does not show their dogs in the ring.

There is no reason for you to wait until Lucky is 18mos old if you are happy with the way he is trained (potty habits, obedience, etc), and getting a male or female won't matter -- what is most important is the individual puppy's personality. Some females are more cuddly and calm than others, as are some males. A good breeder will be able to match the perfect puppy to your household & to Lucky's personality.

I love having 2 Maltese, BUT I am also a housewive (with no children) and I personally would not be okay with leaving my two alone during the day. Some folks on here work full-time and either come home on their lunches or have someone visit their pups during the day. There are definitely days (sometimes lots of days! lol) where I feel overwhelmed by having two and wish I only had one...but it is better with two overall. It gets expensive with twice the vet bills (vaccinations, etc), twice the amount of food, etc. but on the other hand they do keep each other entertained most of the time. Occasionally one will accidentally bite too hard and they will get in a little scrap but other than that they are great friends. Preston loves to snuggle and London prefers to lay by herself so she gets mad at him when he tries to lay next to her.

In the future, I will only own male Maltese ... I've now had my experience with a girl and it will be my last! LOL I love London, but I am being honest.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Name: HEATHER
Dog's Name: BELLA & LiLLiE

I have a 3 year old Maltipoo and a 1 year old Maltese. They are best friends. They sleep together and play non-stop.
The Maltese will get jealous for attention sometimes, but that's normal. They love to run and cut up together. I'd sugguest you add another furbaby to your family.

mama2lillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Leandra
Dog's Name: Bianca & Bitsy

I have a 3 1/2 year old female maltipoo (Bianca) and we just recently added a 17 week old female maltese (Bitsy) to our family. Our newest additional was a rescue we found on petfinder.com so I would highly suggest going the rescue route - there are plenty of maltese on on that site as well as mixed breeds.

Both Bianca and Bitsy get along great and play most of the day. Bianca does get tired of the Bitsy's constant need to play sometimes and just jumps on the sofa where she knows that Bitsy can't possibly reach her. They are just recently starting to sleep side-by-side because even though Bianca lets Bitsy have her way most of the time and even moves aside when Bitsy tries to eat out of her bowl, she would sometimes growl when bitsy wanted to snuggle up to her. Getting a playmate for Bianca turned out to be the best thing for us.
llf060787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Leandra
Dog's Name: Bianca & Bitsy

I have a 3 1/2 year old female maltipoo (Bianca) and we just recently added a 17 week old female maltese (Bitsy) to our family. Our newest additional was a rescue we found on petfinder.com so I would highly suggest going the rescue route - there are plenty of maltese on on that site as well as mixed breeds.

Both Bianca and Bitsy get along great and play most of the day. Bianca does get tired of the Bitsy's constant need to play sometimes and just jumps on the sofa where she knows that Bitsy can't possibly reach her. They are just recently starting to sleep side-by-side because even though Bianca lets Bitsy have her way most of the time and even moves aside when Bitsy tries to eat out of her bowl, she would sometimes growl when bitsy wanted to snuggle up to her. Getting a playmate for Bianca turned out to be the best thing for us.
llf060787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences! It would actually be an easier decision if we were having trouble with Lucky and thought adding a playmate would address that. Lucky is neutered so that doesn't help the male/female decision. While I'd love to rescue a Maltese, I have to admit that might not be a good fit for us. My plan at this point is to do lots of looking to narrow down to a couple of breeders, visit with them, and to keep an eye on rescues. Okay, so I have a little convincing to do too!

Another question...did any of you have help in selecting your new dog from your current dog? In other words, did they meet and were you able to watch them interact? I'm not that worried about Lucky, he'll play with anything that moves. However, if we were to get a dog with less energy and enthusiasm, I can see where that might be like having children who constantly bicker. I need to do what I can to maintain the harmony we have at home or I'll have two unhappy puppies AND an unhappy hubbie!
Lucky'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Coco from Angel Maltese and Lola from Tajon Maltese

QUOTE (Lucky'smom @ Jan 12 2010, 07:18 PM)
Quote:
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences! It would actually be an easier decision if we were having trouble with Lucky and thought adding a playmate would address that. Lucky is neutered so that doesn't help the male/female decision. While I'd love to rescue a Maltese, I have to admit that might not be a good fit for us. My plan at this point is to do lots of looking to narrow down to a couple of breeders, visit with them, and to keep an eye on rescues. Okay, so I have a little convincing to do too!

Another question...did any of you have help in selecting your new dog from your current dog? In other words, did they meet and were you able to watch them interact? I'm not that worried about Lucky, he'll play with anything that moves. However, if we were to get a dog with less energy and enthusiasm, I can see where that might be like having children who constantly bicker. I need to do what I can to maintain the harmony we have at home or I'll have two unhappy puppies AND an unhappy hubbie![/B]
I've said this before, and I'll say it again. If I had it to do over again, I'd never have two. I thought Coco needed a friend, so I got Lola. Lola is a lovely puppy, but Coco has not been the same since we got Lola. If I had it to do over, we'd only have one, and I can tell you that if I weren't home all the time with the dogs, I'd really hate it worse. I cannot leave these two together, as they've not particularly bonded with one another. therefore, we have to have two different places for the dogs. I have no idea if they'll ever be good friends or not. I'd think long and hard before bringing another dog into the family. While so many people have had great experiences, you never know how they'll do together. We've almost always had two, and this is the first time I've not had good luck with it. I wouldn't do it again.

Purchasing from backyard breeders, pet shops and puppymills only
perpetuates suffering.
Break the cycle and do some good.
Educate yourself about reputable breeders and adoption.
coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

QUOTE (Coco @ Jan 12 2010, 07:26 PM)
Quote:
I've said this before, and I'll say it again. If I had it to do over again, I'd never have two. I thought Coco needed a friend, so I got Lola. Lola is a lovely puppy, but Coco has not been the same since we got Lola. If I had it to do over, we'd only have one, and I can tell you that if I weren't home all the time with the dogs, I'd really hate it worse. I cannot leave these two together, as they've not particularly bonded with one another. therefore, we have to have two different places for the dogs. I have no idea if they'll ever be good friends or not. I'd think long and hard before bringing another dog into the family. While so many people have had great experiences, you never know how they'll do together. We've almost always had two, and this is the first time I've not had good luck with it. I wouldn't do it again.[/B]
Mary Ann:

I had a similar experience with my first Malt Samantha. Sam was fabulous by herself but then I let this other person I foolishly married move in with us and bring his Maltese Lizzie. Sam hated them both. After we divorced and he and Lizzie moved out, Samantha was back to being like a puppy again, and she was 10 years old!

I had a totally different experience with Sweetness and Tessa. Within a coupld of days of fostering Tessa I knew Sweetness' heart would break if Tessa left, so I adopted her. They have their "tiffs" where they look at each other like typical sisters but they way they snuggle up together and play with each other is priceless.

I think it just depends on the dog. I am glad that Sweets met Tessa away from our house and that it started as a foster as that seemed to make things easier.

Lucky's Mom - if there's any way to have them meet, I'd highly recommend it.

Maggie
Advertisement