Bordatella Vaccine ? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Christine
Dog's Name: Mia, Leo and Ana
Default Bordatella Vaccine ?

I didn't want to highjack a different thread.

But Jackie gave some incredible advice about checkups.

I do have a question though. Mia and Leo do get the bordatella, they do go to the groomers. Plus along their walks, there are other dogs. Additionally, my neighbor two doors down takes her dog to a doggy park, that requires no documenation. Leo says hello to her ALL the time.

My vet said just the other day, when we took Leo, who now has a Viral Upper resp. tract infection, that they give the best boratella vaccine out there, but it does not cover all strains.

Leo, is coming along well each day and thank God Mia is symptom free.

Is there a downside to the bordatella? I'd be so afraid for them not to get it.

Also, Mia is fine no symptoms at all, how did she not catch it from Leo?

Leo had to get it somewhere? I have to be much more watchful who he says hello to. And trust me I will.

Do any of you get the bordatella vaccine?

Jackie, does it really help or just not at all.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Membership Suspended

Send a message via Yahoo to Starsmom

The bordetella immunization is given intranasal, and it is recommended every 6 mo. I don't know how this regime effects the little fluffs. Because Star did go to the groomer I did immunize him for the disease.
Starsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsmom View Post
The bordetella immunization is given intranasal, and it is recommended every 6 mo. I don't know how this regime effects the little fluffs. Because Star did go to the groomer I did immunize him for the disease.

That's how my babies get it too.

Thanks Marsha.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I do the same thing Christine - it's so darn hard because there are pros and cons to everything - I trust my vet - I often times vacillate, do research, but ultimately, I have to trust the vet.

~Allie
Sandcastles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

Christine - the one thing that happened to Tyler when he got his bordetella intranasal last year (first one) was that he started reverse sneezing after it. Never had done that before but read that can come from irritation to the nasal passage. I thought there was also a shot that older dogs can get.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
mss
Maltese Guru

There is a shot (or was within recent years) but my understanding is that the intra-nasal vaccine is more effective.

Neither form of the bordetella vaccine protects a dog from all forms of "kennel cough" because there are a number of different organisms that can cause "kennel cough" in addition to the one named bordetella.
mss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
There is a shot (or was within recent years) but my understanding is that the intra-nasal vaccine is more effective.

Neither form of the bordetella vaccine protects a dog from all forms of "kennel cough" because there are a number of different organisms that can cause "kennel cough" in addition to the one named bordetella.
Thank you so much. That's exactly what my vet said.

Thank all of you, I really appreciate it. Very much.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nida
Dog's Name: Emma Charlotte (CloudClan Maltese) and Bailey (Honorary Maltese)

Bailey also has gotten the Bordatella vaccine as he goes to daycare, the groomers and A LOT of other places where he comes in contact with other dogs. Last time he got the intranasal vaccine, he had a strong reaction to it. He basically had kennel cough-like symptoms for about 2 days....bad cough, wheezing, etc. Of course I rushed him to the vet who gave him some meds and he was fine within a couple of days. I don't think I'll be getting this vaccine for him again because of the reaction he had. But I'm a little scared because I know the chances of getting KC are high since he interacts with SO many dogs often. I go back and forth on it, but I've heard that the vaccine is not THAT effective anyways...so it's probably not worth the risk for Bailey.

CloudClan I'll Be There For You - "Emma"
Honorary Maltese - Bailey

Follow us on Facebook: The Adventures of Bailey & Emma
Bailey&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

Bordetella is a bacterial kennel cough. This is what you are presenting. It tends to be a bad pneumonia. The vaccine does not protect against the rest of the canine upper respiratory disease complex (which includes the viral kennel coughs which are most common). Think of kennel cough like a human head cold. There are so many strains of the virus and they constantly mutate. We don't have a vaccine. Same for kennel cough - we can vaccinate for a specific bacteria, but not against all the strains of the "cold virus".

If you don't give it every 6 months, it isn't all that effective.

If you need it for proof for grooming, then that's your answer.

Me, personally...I stay aware of what's being passed around, don't share my dogs' water bowls, and treat any kennel cough immediately. I'm comfortable with this.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Michele
Dog's Name: Lacy, Rylie, & London

I don't vaccinate for bordetella as I don't feel it is a necessary vaccine. I only believe in vaccinating for diseases that are highly contagious and have a high mortality rate (and my dogs must have a real risk for getting the disease).

Kennel cough is similar to the human cold in my opinion...usually it requires no treatment. Antibiotics are sometimes prescribed to stop a secondary bacterial infection. Usually kennel cough just goes away after a few weeks.

Every dog I've personally known to have gotten kennel cough, was vaccinated with bordetella. So what's the point in giving the vaccine if it doesn't protect against most of the strains and dogs commonly get the disease anyway? Plus, I don't feel like kennel cough poses much danger to my pets.

My dogs are six years old and have been around many other dogs their entired lives...including meetups, dog shows, friends' dogs, going to work with me when I worked at a dog boutique/grooming salon, etc. etc. They have never gotten Kennel cough yet and haven't been vaccinated for it. I feel like if they ever get kennel cough, I'll have them treated if necessary. It is a very mild disease when you compare it to diseases like parvo, rabies, and distemper (common core vaccines).

I believe less vaccines are better because vaccines can adversely affect health. So I give the bare minimum that I feel is necessary.