Does yellow hair come with age? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2010, 11:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Does yellow hair come with age?

Raskal is almost 2.5 yrs old, I've always use Groomer's Blend Ultra White and use Oatmeal condition after every bath. We bathe him as he gets dirty but on average once every 2 to 3 weeks.

Amazon.com: Groomer's Blend Ultra White Dog Shampoo 17 oz.: Home & Garden: Reviews, Prices & more Amazon.com: Groomer's Blend Ultra White Dog Shampoo 17 oz.: Home & Garden: Reviews, Prices & more

Amazon.com: Synergy Groomer's Blend Oatmeal Protein Shampoo, 17.3 Ounce: Kitchen & Dining Amazon.com: Synergy Groomer's Blend Oatmeal Protein Shampoo, 17.3 Ounce: Kitchen & Dining

His diet has always been the same since he turned 5 months old he's feed with Costco rotisserie chicken and rice.

For about 3 months now we've put him on Frontline cause he was infested with some nasty fleas from our neighbor's cats.

After I bathe him today, I thought his hair looks a shade or two yellower than what I remembered.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Perhaps it's Front line or is it common as he age?
dannieboiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Cookie and Steve
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese

Personally, i don't like using a whitening shampoo every time I bathe my dogs. In fact, I rarely use one. That might be part of the problem. I would try using a clarifying shampoo next time you bathe and see if that helps. I have one dog that can look yellow with certain products and I think it was my 'yellow' colored shampoo/conditoner that I was using on her.

Sounds like you are taking great care of Raskal!! I'm going to go see if you posted any pics of him - I can't remember seeing any!

bellaratamaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don't believe I've ever post any photo of him. Here's one out of my phone taken in front of a Starbucks a few weeks ago. He have that looks when he gets too much caffeine.

Last edited by dannieboiz; 11-01-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Raskal is gorgeous and has a very white coat IMO!

I think Maltese come in many shades of white. Some are ice white, some creamy white, etc.

I rarely use a whitening shampoo on Lady, but when I do I like All Systems whitening shampoo. I also tried Matrix So Silver years ago when someone here suggested it and it worked great.

Whitening shampoos really dry the coat out so make sure you don't use them too often and condition a lot.

Last edited by Ladysmom; 11-01-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

I had my sister in law dog sit him for a few days and she bathe him with some other shampoo that she used on her american bulldog I immediately saw the difference and had to get a bottle of what i useand leave at her house so it doesn't happen again if we ever left him there and she needed to bathe him.

What type of clarifying shampoo do you use?

At the beginning I tried a few different brands of shampoo and this works out the best for him IMO. Also the conditioner makes a tremendous difference, makes his hair soft and puffy. Comparing him to my sister's 5 years old (his father) his hair is soft and fluffy while his dad's hair is straight and flat. I keep in touch with a lot of his sibling's owner and they are all impress with Raskal's hair. I try not to fix it if it ain't broken, get my drift?

Here's another photo of the little guy, his hair appears whiter. I hope I'm just over reacting and the color difference is due to the surrounding lights.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Bisou

I don't think your dog's coat looks yellow at all.
iheartbisou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stick a fork in me.... I'm done.

Just wondering if all he eats is the chicken and rice? And I assume he doesn't eat the skin of the chicken with its fat and spices? I don't do home cooking for my pups but it seems like, from what I've read here, that his diet isn't balanced.

Here are some threads you might want to read.
Home Cookers can you please post what you feed

Homecookers..do I need a multi-vitamin?

And of course, what not to feed!
People food not to feed our Malts - From the ASPCA
k/c mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Cookie and Steve
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese

Quote:
Originally Posted by k/c mom View Post
Just wondering if all he eats is the chicken and rice? And I assume he doesn't eat the skin of the chicken with its fat and spices? I don't do home cooking for my pups but it seems like, from what I've read here, that his diet isn't balanced.

Here are some threads you might want to read.
Home Cookers can you please post what you feed

Homecookers..do I need a multi-vitamin?

And of course, what not to feed!
People food not to feed our Malts - From the ASPCA

I was thinking that too, that maybe the diet was too limited. I don't home feed either but I thought it was more than just chicken and rice.

Also, how did his testicle issue from last year turn out?

I also agree - he doesn't look yellow to me either.

bellaratamaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
vjw
Maltese Guru

I think I might know EXACTLY why Raskal is yellow! It's very likely the SynergyLabs shampoo.

My sister-in-law is a groomer and she gave me a bottle of SynergyLabs Veterinary Formula "Snow White" shampoo to try, and after I used it once on Karli, she was definitely yellow. This is different than the one you used, but it's a whitening shampoo from the same company with the same result.

I like the #1 All Systems whitening shampoo also, but my favorite is EZ Groom's Crystal White. The EZ Groom seems to me to be a little less harsh than the #1 All Systems.

The EZ Groom is a little more inconvenient to use because you're supposed to warm it up before you use it, but I still prefer this one.

Joy

Last edited by vjw; 11-02-2010 at 01:10 PM.
vjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brit
Dog's Name: Cosy from Bonnie's Angel Maltese
Send a message via AIM to Cosy

A good clarifying shampoo can leave a dog whiter than most whitening shampoos without damaging the shaft of the hair. The ideal coat on a maltese is indeed flat and straight.

Please buy from reputable
exhibitor breeders or Rescue.
Cosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement