My maltese's ears are really red and itchy - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy My maltese's ears are really red and itchy

Please help my maltese's ears are really red and itchy. His ear's also smells and peels in areas he has been aggressively scratching. This problem has been reoccurring. Sometimes only one ear is really red.

I took him to the vet in the spring and they prescribed him Benadryl and ear drops and said he has allergies.

But right now its winter.. do you think it could be just allergies? or does the vet not know what they are talking about?

What can I do? I read online for natural remedies that white vinegar will work? What do you think? Also, could it be his food? Please help it hurts me seeing my little one like this.
ilovemiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pat
Dog's Name: Archie, Abbey, Ava, Mona Lisa and Tinker

You could try switching the food to a grain free food. And use a medicated shampoo. When my Archie was having ear problems, the first time I went to the vet they prescribed a medicine for an ear infection, it didn't work. The next time I took him in, they tested it and found that it was a yeast infection and prescribed the right meds. We battled that ear problem for a good two months.

Archie, Ava and Abbey
Life is Good!!!....and keeps gettin' better!!!

To get to Ava's FB page...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ava/2...9759780?ref=hl
The A Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sarah
Dog's Name: Sophie Bean

Poor baby. I don't have any advice to offer, but I'm thinking your baby has an ear infection, especially if it's smelly? I hope he finds relief soon.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie

I would take him to the vets and have them swab his ear for a culture to find out what kind of infection that way he gets the correct meds. I hope he starts to feel better soon.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: liza
Dog's Name: dolce

praying ur baby feels better soon .
Old 01-26-2011, 11:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

Make sure it isn't a yeast infection. My neighbor's dog had that a week or two ago and I was the one who brought it up to her.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

Do not put anything down the ear until the vet looks down. You can do permanent damage if the ear drum is ruptured.

If your dog had one infection last summer and one now I wouldn't get too excited. Treat it and then work on your maintenance protocol.

If your dog has year-round constant ear problems, it is likely allergy related. It can either be
1. Food related (your dog is exposed to ingested allergens year round)
2. Inhalent related (just because the pollen is gone outside doesn't mean your dog still can't be allergies to all sorts of dust mites and such in your home - when you turn on your heat this can get worse).
90% of allergies are inhalent, 10% are food. Talk to your vet about doing a novel protein/carb diet as well as ways to reduce allergens in your home.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm View Post
Do not put anything down the ear until the vet looks down. You can do permanent damage if the ear drum is ruptured.

If your dog had one infection last summer and one now I wouldn't get too excited. Treat it and then work on your maintenance protocol.

If your dog has year-round constant ear problems, it is likely allergy related. It can either be
1. Food related (your dog is exposed to ingested allergens year round)
2. Inhalent related (just because the pollen is gone outside doesn't mean your dog still can't be allergies to all sorts of dust mites and such in your home - when you turn on your heat this can get worse).
90% of allergies are inhalent, 10% are food. Talk to your vet about doing a novel protein/carb diet as well as ways to reduce allergens in your home.
Thank you. I have been going through this with Sammie since sept. I come to believe what vet orig said. INHALED. it has gotten worse since heat is on.
My problem is the spray worked twice now does not. Cream was same way. Very hard to hold him to apply meds. Really hard. Vet said can bath every 3 days. Just hate this ear problem. He is on venison no grains. Vet said prob not food. He was right in sept. I will keep on trying.

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemiles View Post
Please help my maltese's ears are really red and itchy. His ear's also smells and peels in areas he has been aggressively scratching. This problem has been reoccurring. Sometimes only one ear is really red.

I took him to the vet in the spring and they prescribed him Benadryl and ear drops and said he has allergies.

But right now its winter.. do you think it could be just allergies? or does the vet not know what they are talking about?

What can I do? I read online for natural remedies that white vinegar will work? What do you think? Also, could it be his food? Please help it hurts me seeing my little one like this.
Hi, here is a good link to an article that some one on SM gave me. It explains allergies and triggers in home and outside. How old is your baby? If inhaled can be yard sprays, smoke. And fleas is another thing to rule out. My 1 yr old Sammie has had red itchy ears since mid Sept. He itches ears and pretty much all over. Seems to itch more if he walks a lot. I too was given cream, the spray, but it returns. He is not allergic to food. But I am keeping him on non grain until I know more. I believe he is allergic to pollen/grass/dust. Done as much as I know to do and it is VERY hard to hold him to treat his ears. Almost impossible. Taste of the Wild Salmon (if u can handle the odor) is a good trial food to see if he is allergic to grains or poultry. NO chicken/duck/grains for 8 weeks and you will know if he is still itching its inhaled. Sammie will prob need meds soon but Vet wants to wait a bit longer. Dont know if I can. Good luck and keep us posted.
http://www.thepetcenter.com/article.aspx?id=3382

Last edited by SammieMom; 01-27-2011 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemiles View Post

I want to add I am so sorry your going through this. I know how terrible it is to watch them itch all the time. Hang in there and maybe we can help each other.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement