Anal gland rupture - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2011, 08:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via AIM to dwerten
Default Anal gland rupture

Demi had this happen a few weeks ago but is all healed up from antibiotics from vet.

Has anyone had this happen here?

I have never expressed anal glands in any of my 4 but will definitely be keeping an eye on this now.

Any information anyone has on this would be great. I watched a video on youtube on how to express them as well

She eats newman's own organic which is high in grains and fiber and has large volume stool which i read helps to not get this and why i am stumped as to why she had this happen.

Posting a pic to show how it looks when it happens in case others have this happen and not sure what it is. She was not really scooting or acting like in any pain at all. She was completely normal. DH called me at work and said she has poop on her butt so i came home and we bathed her and that is when i saw the hole and new what happened and called for vet appt asap. I just do not want this to happen again
Attached Thumbnails
Anal gland rupture-2011-06-044.jpg  

Old 07-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Lynn
Dog's Name: Lacie,Tilly,Secret(Ch Angels Top Secret of Khanthav) & Breeze(Ch Angels Heavenly Breeze of Linmont)
Send a message via AIM to Lacie's Mom

Deb -- haven't had this happen with the Malts, but it happened several times with one of my Lhasas. Never happened to any of her brothers, aunts, mom, dad, etc. but she had difficulties and had 2-3 ruptures in her lifetime. Didn't seem to have anything to do with her diet (she was eating what everyone else was) and it didn't seem to be genetic because none of her relatives had the problem.

I think that Crystal (Crystal & Zoe) has had problems with anal glands with Zoe and she's posted a couple of great thread on it.

It's so sad when it happens. I felt so sorry for Chennie (my Lhasa). So glad that Demi is better.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: becky
Dog's Name: Bailey, Lucky
Send a message via Yahoo to bailey02

Thanks for the picture at least now I will know how it looks.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Susie, born 8/25/00, and Sadie, born 11/04/02

Deb, I'm so sorry this happened to Demi. I'm glad to hear she's doing okay now. Susie had an anal gland rupture back in 2006. The scary thing was how sudden it seemed. She had not been scooting or showing any signs that there was a problem prior to the rupture. She was on antibiotics for two weeks, and the vet recommended hydro-therapy (a gentle stream of tepid water over the area) twice a day for about five days.

Susie has always been one to need her anal glands expressed ever since she was about a year old. It does not seem to be genetic or diet related for Susie, as Sadie, her half-sister, eats exactly the same thing and has never once had an issue with her glands. I give Susie a small spoonful of plain, canned pumpkin once a day on her food, which seems to slow the frequency of needing them expressed, but hasn't totally solved the issue. If memory serves me right, I believe I once read Dr. Karen Becker say that sometimes the issue can be with the location of the glands, and that for some dogs they are either lower or deeper set than others, and that makes it harder to empty on their own. I don't know if that's the case for Susie or not, but maybe.

I used to take her to the vet to have them expressed as soon as she started scooting (I've never been able to do it on my own for fear of hurting her), but after the incident with the rupture, I started taking her in on a regular schedule once a month whether she was scooting or not, just to be safe. She now seems to be able to go about four months without needing it done. But of course, if she starts scooting, I have it done sooner.

Hopefully this won't be a recurring issue for your sweet Demi.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Nina
Dog's Name: Coco, Gizmo, Lilan

Poor Demi! Coco gets swollen anal glands every so often and ruptured glands twice. Poor thing was so uncomfortable. After the last rupture, I also took her to the vet monthly to get expressed. Now I take her every 2-3 months or when she scoots, whichever comes first and she hasn't had one since

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/" target="_blank">

</a>
coco&nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

thanks so much everyone for the info.

I watched the video on how to express but still nervous to do myself or have a groomer do it. In some areas groomers will not do for fear of hurting the dog. My vet said it is $32 I think to express them so may just take her once a month for now and see how she does and then maybe we can get to 2-3 mos or vet can show me how at appts. I just do not want to go through this again as i felt so bad for her even though she acted like nothing was wrong.

My cousin has a big dog and they removed her dogs anal glands and it was HORRIBLE. She would never recommend that ever so that would not even be an option so need to prevent this from happening.

I guess I will not worry about the others for now. When i took dee dee in for her derm appt she said dd were full but i said no do not express as i do not express my dogs and then a month later this happens to demi Demi is the only one I have ever seen scoot. If i see her scoot i will take her in asap for expression though
Old 07-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Crystal
Dog's Name: Zoe, Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin)

Animal Essential's Phytomucil Powder has enabled Zoe to express her glands naturally herself. We really thought we were going to have to have them removed surgically, but this is really working. I'm down to just giving her the Phytomucil Powder once or twice a month and will continue that as a precaution.

In Zoe's case, the fluid was so thick it would require internal expression that is only done by a vet. From all I've been told, once you start expressing the glands on a regular basis, you usually have to continue. You may want to give the Phytomucil Powder a try. If you want to express them yourself, I would have your vet show you and not try it from watching a video. I know of too many times where a groomer has injured a dog by not knowing what they were doing. Scared me enough that I never wanted to try...even though my vet would have taught me.
Crystal&Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal&Zoe View Post
Animal Essential's Phytomucil Powder has enabled Zoe to express her glands naturally herself. We really thought we were going to have to have them removed surgically, but this is really working. I'm down to just giving her the Phytomucil Powder once or twice a month and will continue that as a precaution.

In Zoe's case, the fluid was so thick it would require internal expression that is only done by a vet. From all I've been told, once you start expressing the glands on a regular basis, you usually have to continue. You may want to give the Phytomucil Powder a try. If you want to express them yourself, I would have your vet show you and not try it from watching a video. I know of too many times where a groomer has injured a dog by not knowing what they were doing. Scared me enough that I never wanted to try...even though my vet would have taught me.
thanks so much - the vet said to use pumpkin but it stains her face so may try this powder - do you have this on your site? Did you have vet express in beginning?

i did not want to start doing to all my dogs for that reason as once you start you have to keep doing it but if i ever see scooting they are going in asap

I just never saw demi scooting this time. It just happened so fast but we did see that morning after that there was a mark on our blanket so she must have done while we were sleeping poor baby
Old 07-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Crystal
Dog's Name: Zoe, Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwerten View Post
thanks so much - the vet said to use pumpkin but it stains her face so may try this powder - do you have this on your site? Did you have vet express in beginning?

i did not want to start doing to all my dogs for that reason as once you start you have to keep doing it but if i ever see scooting they are going in asap

I just never saw demi scooting this time. It just happened so fast but we did see that morning after that there was a mark on our blanket so she must have done while we were sleeping poor baby
The Phytomucil Powder works so much better then just pumpkin. Once you have some, play with a tiny bit and put some water on it. You'll see what it does and understand why it helps them to express their anal glands themselves naturally. You will start out by having them do it a certain # of days with a couple of days rest in between with the hope that you can get their body back to working naturally on it's own and get to the place where you only use it once a month or so. If you go back and look at the threads I've started about Zoe's anal gland saga, you'll get a good feel of what all we've been through. I think there are at least 3 threads I started on it so hopefully our experiences could help others.
Crystal&Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Cathy
Dog's Name: Preston

Preston had this happen about a month ago. He has the exact same look on his bottom (a hole next to his hole). The vet put him to sleep and drained everything out of the second hole. He gave him a shot of an antibiotic that kept working for two weeks and asked me to clean him after he did his business with hydrogen peroxide.